snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 10 April 2017, 03:51 PM

Airplane Video surfaces of man being dragged from overbooked United flight

Quote:
A nearly 30-second video clip, posted on social media by a fellow passenger, shows three security officers approaching a man who was already seated, asking him to give up his spot on the plane. After the man refuses, he was eventually dragged by his arms and screaming toward the front of the plane.

A witness to the debacle said passengers were warned at the gate that the flight was overbooked, and United was asking for volunteers to switch flights, with reimbursements included. Nobody spoke up.

According to Audra Bridges, who posted the video to her Facebook page Sunday evening, United management came on board the flight and used a computer to randomly select four passengers who would be removed from that trip.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/10/video...ed-flight.html

I'm sure that their Terms of Service has some smallprint about seats are not guaranteed and they can refuse service if the flight is overbooked but this is still a very, very bad look for the airline.

ETA: the airline also said that they needed to transport airline staff to the next airport for work which is why they needed to remove seated passengers from the plane.
Old 10 April 2017, 03:56 PM

Guess which airline I'm flying next month.
Old 10 April 2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Guess which airline I'm flying next month.
Well, you're booked to fly with them. Whether you actually get the chance to make the trip or you get randomly dragged off the plane beforehand remains to be seen.
Old 10 April 2017, 04:12 PM

Fortunately my schedule is flexible enough that I could take one of the volunteer reschedule things. I'll certainly be more inclined to do so after this.

ETA: The airline business is so odd. In what other business would you even inconvenience a customer to re-deploy your employees, let alone remove him against his will?
Old 10 April 2017, 04:15 PM

Heck, in what other business is it legal to knowingly sell services you do not have adequate resources to provide?
Old 10 April 2017, 04:15 PM

According to the article, after the man was dragged off the plane he was allowed back on. So not only did they feel they needed to assault a paying passenger they then backed off and let him back on that flight. So what purpose was served here?
Old 10 April 2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Heck, in what other business is it legal to knowingly sell services you do not have adequate resources to provide?
And then bribe people to rearrange their schedules to accommodate you.
Old 10 April 2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
The airline business is so odd. In what other business would you even inconvenience a customer to re-deploy your employees, let alone remove him against his will?
Well if the plane's current staff is "out of hours" after that flight, how's the plane gonna get back? It's not gonna fly itself.

Without looking at it all, I have a hunch (and that's all it is, a hunch) that this doctor lost his mind with the possibility of being delayed, instead of pleading his case with the gate agent.

I've been bumped off a flight because of overweight situation (along with 3 other passengers), so apparently cargo had precedence over customers.

OY
Old 10 April 2017, 04:55 PM

IDK, but in most businesses, that would not be the customer's problem. Railroads manage without bumping passengers or freight to make room for a new crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
Without looking at it all, I have a hunch (and that's all it is, a hunch) that this doctor lost his mind with the possibility of being delayed, instead of pleading his case with the gate agent.
He was already in his seat on the plane when they volunteered him.
Old 10 April 2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You would be entirely incorrect. The passenger was already seated, and calmly but firmly refused to to be removed.
Old 10 April 2017, 05:12 PM

How random would it be if they board a flight and use a computer to see which passengers win the "you get to deboard" lottery? Do they only pick people flying alone? After all if you are travelling with friends or family surely if one of you gets picked the rest of your party would likely want to get off the plane with the lucky winner. Would United have to give all of you $800 and a free hotel stay (or whatever prize they've decided you get for being forced off the flight)?
Old 10 April 2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
You would be entirely incorrect. The passenger was already seated, and calmly but firmly refused to to be removed.
What happened when he refused? Did he make his case heard?

OY
Old 10 April 2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
What happened when he refused? Did he make his case heard?

OY
According to one article I read he was knocked unconscious. Pretty hard to make your case if you're out cold.
Old 10 April 2017, 05:17 PM

The denied boarding compensation is detailed here.

Whether on the plane or not, the term "boarding" means that you're refused transportation.

OY
Old 10 April 2017, 05:28 PM

If the business model is to bribe people to get off the plane, the bribes need to be equitable. Once people have boarded the plane, all company policies regarding max compensation should fly out of the window and the airline should just conduct a bidding war.

If people don't want $800 in vouchers, then how about $1200 in visa giftcards? $2000? At some price, they would have found four passengers. And they would have avoided tons of bad PR and a potential ginormous lawsuit.
Old 10 April 2017, 05:33 PM

So I read numerous comments from the woman who posted this. (He husband filmed it). it seems that after everyone boarded they were told that a "standby crew" needed to take this flight. They offered vouchers up to $800 repeately, but nobody took them up on the offer because the next flight to Louisville that passengers could get on wasn't until 3pm the next day.

They then announced they were going to to use a computer generated list to kick people off. Passengers eventually learned that this wasn't a standby crew but a "must fly" crew that had a flight out of Louisville the next morning.

They asked this man to leave and he insisted that he wasn't getting up because he was a doctor and had to get home. The crew got LE to remove him and then the video happened. He was apparently on the phone with his lawyer at the time. He somehow managed to get back on the plane (there is footage of that somewhere, too) but I think he collapsed and had to get medical attention.

Everyone had to deplane while they cleaned up the blood.
Old 10 April 2017, 05:47 PM

When buy-out offers end, and deplaning "roulette" begins, that's when the law kicks in (see my link above). The entire group of passenger is taking a gamble that they won't get booted off. It's never pleasant for anyone.

I've actually successfully counter-offered the gate agent ("I won't do it for $800, but if you don't get anyone, I'll do it for $1,200").

OY
Old 10 April 2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
How random would it be if they board a flight and use a computer to see which passengers win the "you get to deboard" lottery? Do they only pick people flying alone? After all if you are travelling with friends or family surely if one of you gets picked the rest of your party would likely want to get off the plane with the lucky winner. Would United have to give all of you $800 and a free hotel stay (or whatever prize they've decided you get for being forced off the flight)?
One article I read said they based on it on 3 factors, two of which were ticket class (I'm guessing they don't "re-accommodate" first class passengers) and check-in time. I don't remember the third factor.
Old 10 April 2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
The denied boarding compensation is detailed here.
See, he could have avoided the whole thing if he'd just memorized CFR 14:250.5
Old 10 April 2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
See, he could have avoided the whole thing if he'd just memorized CFR 14:250.5
The point I was trying to make is that it's a fairly well established procedure - not something whimsical. However, the buy-out offers are mostly decided by the airline companies.

Yes, denied boarding stinks but the business model is the way it is. Ultra-low fares can somewhat be blamed for higher load factors, which leads to denied boarding situations.

OY