snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 11 April 2017, 08:31 AM

And as for that burger chain. The town I grew up in didn't have that particular chain. It didn't have that other American world wide burger chain either (which has a different name here)

So the big thing to do when coming to Brisbane* was to go to the place in question and have a meal. I always thought they made really bad burgers but my peer group loved them as did my brother and Grandfather. And I really don't tend to be a heathy eater so it really isn't that they are junk food. Anyhow a year or two after I moved to Brisbane, they finally opened one of the stores in the town I grew up in and friends of mine decided that the new store didn't make good burgers, apparently they were different from the burgers in every other store of the same name in the entire world. Funny cause the way the described the taste was how I always thought they tasted.

*Or any other town that had the chain I will not name.
Old 11 April 2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Except I don't mind burgers... [...]
Oh, I meant that to ASL.
Old 11 April 2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
See I could say I would like to outlaw a certain world wide burger chain cause I think they nfbsk burgers but I realise people actually do like them so there is that.
Not sure if you're talking about the world wide burger chain I am thinking of (but I bet you are ) but I've actually grown to like that place in the last few years. They've made some changes in the way they do business, at least around here anyway, and it's become our family's go to place now when we're entertaining little ones. Great coffee and the kiddies are happy. Win, win for us .
Old 11 April 2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
That said, it seems to me there's enough overlap between hamburger and meatloaf that if one hates all of one, one should hate at least most of the other. No?
Too much variation, especially with meatloaf recipes. The hamburgers here are made with finely ground beef. Really finely ground, so the hamburger is a bit more puck-like. If I buy ground beef at the store, it's normally 3 mm (5 mm?) and when I make a burger, it has texture.

My husband hates hamburgers with finely ground beef. He can stand stand the texture. He's also not so fond of some of the spices used (Aromat or Maggi) which make their way into many Swiss recipes.

So if you ask him if he'd rather have a hamburger or a chicken sandwich, he will choose the chicken. Because he really enjoys beef and can't stand hamburger pucks.

Considering it's going to rain all weekend, I'm think about making bacon-wrapped meatloaf with a brown sugar / ketchup glaze. Three weeks of hotel living makes us both want American classics.
Old 12 April 2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Not sure if you're talking about the world wide burger chain I am thinking of (but I bet you are ) but I've actually grown to like that place in the last few years. They've made some changes in the way they do business, at least around here anyway, and it's become our family's go to place now when we're entertaining little ones. Great coffee and the kiddies are happy. Win, win for us .
I think it is the same here but since I don't like coffee nor do I have kiddies. And while the burger chain has a store in my neighbourhood it is about at the limits of a the distance I would walk for a takeaway meal. And I have locally owned chains much closer* so I think I will stick with them. But I will keep that in mind if I am ever asked to meet someone there.

The funny thing is that my Dad, who has owned several small business (with Mum) that were widely different, seemed to know a lot about what was involved in setting up the franchise of the burger chain in question. So I wonder if he looked into buying one at some point in time. If he had and it had made our family fortune, heck if I had worked in it, maybe I would feel different but it didn't happen.

*in fact I am going to get lunch at one such place.