snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 03 April 2017, 03:32 PM

These heated seats are adjustable to three different levels of heat, and maybe it's because I've been driving a convertible in New Jersey winters, but they do appeal to me. We'll see. I also sleep under an electric blanket I keep on nearly all year round, just adjusting the warmth downward.
Old 03 April 2017, 05:59 PM

When I visited my daughter in Denver during a cold snap, I loved here heated seats for the five minutes between getting into the car and the heat kicking in. Aside from that one week, I've never cared for them.
Old 04 April 2017, 02:44 PM

I had the heated seat in my SAAB catch fire once.
Old 04 April 2017, 07:43 PM

Glasses

So I did the part of my taxes I have to do (my accountant does the rest) and will get that to him on Wednesday. Tonight I get to hem my new dress and add the trim. I really need to put together a checklist for next week so I don't forget any of the things I've agreed to bring/do. Exciting stuff.

Seaboe
Old 04 April 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
And as an aside, does anyone else make a car similar to the Miata anymore? All the other two seat convertible roadsters I can think of -- the Honda s2000 and the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky have been discontinued.
Does it have to be new? If not, keep your Toyota and buy the nicest first generation Miata you can find (the one with the flip up headlights). They're bulletproof and it's modern enough to have fuel injection and a decent electrical system. since you don't live in a winter weather state it won't be rusted all to hell either. I mean, I had a '96, which I daily drove year round for sixteen years, and it had about 180,000 on it when I got rid of it two years ago. I only ever did basic maintenance on it (and barely that when I was out of work/inconsistently employed for a number of years) and it still ran reliably. Hell, I never even put in a new clutch (which was finally getting bad when I chopped it in to CarMax for $200) - I'd still have it if it wasn't terminally corroded.

That said, I also have an MGB that never fails to start, and it's far from being the best example of the model (or even a good one, it's been hacked around and abused in it's past). The old British roadsters are hammer simple and really not that hard to keep running. Like any used car do your research and buy the best one you can afford, and not something that's been incorrectly repaired or beat up.
Old 12 April 2017, 06:25 AM

Rabbit

A town in my state is having a big Easter parade this weekend and people I know will be marching in it. I'm super tempted to make an Easter bunny costume that poops chocolate eggs and go along

Old 12 April 2017, 07:18 AM

Gutter Monkey, you can do it! Gogogo!

And post a video here!
Old 12 April 2017, 11:57 AM

You can and you must! You owe it to the world.
Old 12 April 2017, 02:09 PM

Glasses

I'll third the idea, GM.

So Monday I got a blister using a drill bit by hand (hey, it worked), so yesterday I bought a Dremmel. Today I need to buy a smaller drill bit and finish up what I was working on yesterday. I also have to pack the truck, pack my suitcase, and get the dog's stuff ready. Tomorrow, I get ice and beer, pack the cooler and head off for the convention. I have to be there by noon to set up our Guild table.

All this for a trip of about 10 miles.

Seaboe
Old 12 April 2017, 02:34 PM

Baseball

I read about this in the Ottawa Citizen. I had to go look.

Where Mulder and Scully meet.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.47065...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Old 12 April 2017, 03:17 PM

Baseball

Another one:

Bonnie and Clyde, forever together.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.36614...7i13312!8i6656
Old 12 April 2017, 08:27 PM

Baseball

One from England:

Is this the original Wells Fargo connection?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.19015...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Old 12 April 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Where Mulder and Scully meet.
Too bad it is not an X intersection.
Old 13 April 2017, 02:16 PM

A few years ago, a friend showed me a mildly flattering tweet about myself. Of course, I had to go read the anonymous tweeter's other tweets. There was another comment about me that was not so flattering, more embarrassingly critical, but it was laugh-out-loud funny and, I had to admit, not untrue. For a short while, I liked to read that feed, which was sometimes about places or people I knew and always funny and observant. The writer had a rather biting, cynical wit. There was enough info that I could have found out exactly who wrote it and I was very curious but eventually managed to let it go.

A few days ago I was very surprised to accidentally find out who the tweeter was (by a coincidence of some details mentioned in my presence). It kind of blew my mind a little to find out this quiet, nearly invisible woman has that cool, funny, sarcastic mind. Even if she hadn't long since erased any personal references from her feed, I still could never say anything to her. It was a funny experience that I can't share directly with anyone who might know the people involved.
Old 15 April 2017, 11:03 PM

Somebody has been setting off explosions of some sort somewhere in the area on and off through the day today. I don't know why; but am glad I live somewhere where it's reasonably safe to assume that it's either firecrackers or innocuous target practice.

I suppose I could go drive around and try to figure out what's going on; but I might not be able to tell, even if I did, as whatever it is may be out of sight of the road.
Old 18 April 2017, 03:35 PM

Glasses

Our local science fiction convention had to wait 40 years for it, but we were protested by Westboro wannabes on Saturday night.

Seaboe
Old 18 April 2017, 05:14 PM

Driver

I went and saw the latest Fast & Furious movie tonight but before I left home I bought my ticket (and chose the exact seat I wanted) online and quickly downloaded the previous movie (in HD!) so I could watch the start and end scenes to refresh my memory. When I got to the cinema I opened up the ticket confirmation email on my phone so they could scan the barcode in lieu of me printing a ticket. Man, I love living in the future.
Old 19 April 2017, 07:45 PM

Ambulance

I've posted a bit about this jerk cat that lives across the back alley from my house:

It beats up my cat, sneaks into my house to steal her food and stalks the birds in my backyard. I chase it away whenever I see it but my cat never comes off too bad in the fights so it's mostly tolerable.

I was sitting up watching videos after 3am and I heard a cat making a godawful noise out in the street which I thought was a cat fight so I grabbed my torch to go check it out. I found my cat straight away but I could still hear a cat screeching about half a block away so I went to investigate and found the mean cat's owner crouched in the street on her phone with a cat carry cage next to her. Her cat was inside it and it was screaming in pain, collapsed on its side with a clear froth coming out of its mouth. She was trying to get an Uber but wasn't having much luck so I helped her carry the cat about half a mile to where her car was parked (it was too heavy for her to carry it all that way on her own). She offered to give me a lift back to my house but I told her to go straight to the 24hr vets.

She had no idea what happened to the cat, she heard it screaming in the alley just outside her house about the same time I did. I went back with a torch and checked the alley and found a small pool of frothy blood, I'm thinking it might have been hit by a car or something.
Old 19 April 2017, 07:56 PM

Or someone poisoned it.
Old 19 April 2017, 08:12 PM

I really hope that someone didn't put bait out because that cat's territory overlaps my own cat's territory a fair bit.