snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 02 April 2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
The new car, however, has heated seats. Which is a major plus.
An advantage over even a train...
Old 02 April 2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I've been away from snopes for a while under lots of stress.
Sending long-distance encouraging noises, for what they're worth --
Old 02 April 2017, 04:57 PM

I once put in an offer on a condo on April Fool's Day. It was quite a year: my ex and I had filed for divorce on Valentine's Day, and in October I started a new job on Friday the 13th.

I'm sorry to hear about your car, Avril, but glad you were able to find a good (enough) replacement. I've used heated seats a few times in friends' cars, and they're lovely.
Old 02 April 2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Sending long-distance encouraging noises, for what they're worth --
Careful. I heard that can be mistaken for engine trouble. Many cars have been taken to the shop needlessly.
Old 02 April 2017, 09:59 PM

Driver

Quote:
It is a much nicer car (as cars 10 years younger are wont to be), but it is not a convertible. If I had found a suitable convertible, I would have purchased one, but not even my longings could justify a sports car,
I've recently found myself longing for a Miata or something similar (Actually, I really want an old British roadster like a Triumph or MG, but those don't have the greatest reputation for reliability. I figure Mazda makes the closest modern equivalent). I've had my now seven year old Corolla for just a little over two years, and it just doesn't feel new anymore. One things I really liked about it when I got it was the fact that it was actually quiet; it didn't make all the squeaks and rattles the nearly 20 year old car it replaced made. But recently one of the interior panels has come loose and started to rattle (I blame the numerous potholes on my commute). While far from fatal, it annoys me. And while it's a perfectly fine practical commuter car, it's kind of boring. I've never owned a really "fun" car before. But I can't really justify buying a new car now; I too am the sort of person who keeps cars for 10 years. Although I kind of wonder if this car will make it that long. It had a lot of miles on it when I got it, but at the time I didn't drive all that much, so I figured it wasn't worth it to get a newer car. But now I have a much longer commute than I used to.

And as an aside, does anyone else make a car similar to the Miata anymore? All the other two seat convertible roadsters I can think of -- the Honda s2000 and the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky have been discontinued.
Old 02 April 2017, 10:05 PM

They still make the Miata. Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, Nissan, and Porshe all make 2 seat roadsters.
Old 02 April 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
They still make the Miata. Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, Nissan, and Porshe all make 2 seat roadsters.
I know. I was saying the Miata was the only one I could think of that was still being made.

Of the brands you list, all but Nissan are what I would consider luxury brands. So perhaps I should add the qualifier that the Miata is the only affordable roadster still being made.
Old 02 April 2017, 11:15 PM

Right. There were a lot more affordable, non-sports-car, non-luxury convertibles out there a decade ago. But now they're just for the high end consumer, it seems.

For what it's worth, my car was a four-seater. But even that is nearly impossible to find these days.
Old 02 April 2017, 11:22 PM

A car which only seats two and can carry very little cargo is pretty much a luxury. It should be no surprise that such cars are mostly made by luxury brands.
Old 02 April 2017, 11:27 PM

It reflects a significant change in the market. My question is why there are pretty much zero convertibles (four or two seats) in the not-a-sports-car market a decade after they were, if not common, at least not special purple unicorns.

Are the new tiny commuter cars luxuries, i.e., the Smart Car?
Old 03 April 2017, 12:13 AM

I would guess its a change in what consumers want. When I went to buy a new Toyota, I gave them my usual wish list which includes a sunroof. Where last time I bought a Toyota it was almost a standard feature now they are much more scarce. The guy at the dealership said that it wasn't a feature new car buyers were asking for anymore.
Old 03 April 2017, 12:56 AM

It seems like I heard that modern safety standards make it a lot more costly to develop a convertible that meets them. That may be a lot of why they're pretty much only found in higher end sporty cars nowadays.
Old 03 April 2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I would guess its a change in what consumers want.
I've never bought a car, and I'm not up in what consumers want in the USA, but this is always a bit of an annoying response to the question of why you can't buy something. There are at least two consumers in this thread who clearly do want that, so if your guess is correct, why are they suddenly different?

I've been told that myself at least once in the past - I asked for something in a shop and the answer was "there's no demand" (I can't remember what I'd asked for, but not something stupidly specific or obscure). It immediately put my back up - of course there's demand; what do you think my request was just then? Maybe not enough for it to be worth your while to carry it, but clearly the demand still exists.

And I'm sure it's the same for convertible four-seater cars in the USA as it was for whatever non-specific item I'd asked for in the local shop in my home town in the UK...
Old 03 April 2017, 01:33 AM

In the case of automobiles, it takes a lot of time and money to setup a production line. There has to be a demand higher than 2 to make that profitable.
Old 03 April 2017, 01:35 AM

That whole YOMANK / I spilled my coffee thing... I just did an absolutely classic spit-take, for no external reason at all - I made espresso and one sip went down the wrong way, with my mouth closed, and I couldn't have made a finer spray of coffee over my screen if I'd tried. Luckily it was fine enough that it didn't affect the rest of my laptop.

I wish I'd been reading a funny post at the time because the effect seems a bit wasted. May I hold it in credit for the next funny post that I do read?
Old 03 April 2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:
There has to be a demand higher than 2 to make that profitable.
2 out of what? This board doesn't represent a huge sample of any given population, these days...
Old 03 April 2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
It seems like I heard that modern safety standards make it a lot more costly to develop a convertible that meets them. That may be a lot of why they're pretty much only found in higher end sporty cars nowadays.
But you can get convertible tiny Smart cars, which are surely not sports cars, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, I have basically promised myself that if my fancy 4-door sedan ultimately makes me sad, I'll begin investigating trading it in for a convertible, even a sports car. The Mustang isn't totally out of reach...this might just be silly fantasy but it helps with the change.
Old 03 April 2017, 09:42 AM

Driver

Maybe people who can afford higher insurance generally prefer to pay more for the vehicle as well. Cheap convertibles are still relatively popular here where car theft and vandalism are far less common.
Old 03 April 2017, 09:47 AM

Reading

I was googling my late grandfather Pat Veitch and there's a few odds and ends turning up, mostly due to his decades of involvement in the local competitive cycling scene. I found this 1930s photo (he's on the far left) and this 1942 newspaper interview (that's his portrait photo in the middle of the page).

Sounds like he wasn't terribly successful as a cyclist, the heading for the newspaper interview is "Doesn't Win Much - But Helps Juniors"
Old 03 April 2017, 02:37 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriccoloratura View Post
Can she properly appreciate your pretty corset?
She would have tried, despite her mood, but I was working on my taxes and didn't show her. Sigh. Taxes.
Quote:
The new car, however, has heated seats. Which is a major plus.
I've found that unless it's really cold, I don't like heated seats. My butt and back get hot while the rest of me remains cold, and the hot butt and back make me turn down the heat, which makes the temperature differential worse. Having said that, I drove a car this winter in single-digit temperatures that had heated seats I really liked. For one thing, they had three settings and for another, they turned themselves off eventually. I think the car was a Ford, some sort of SUV (not an Explorer or an Expedition), and I hated the radio (it had no volume control, except for something that adapted to road noise. How can you have a radio without volume control?).

Seaboe