snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 29 March 2017, 12:44 PM

I just ordered a replacement for my appx. 15YO, no-longer-reliable home cervical traction device (aka "the rack," because it works by pulling on your spine). The new one looks like it will be more comfortable, and the price may actually have been less than I originally spent all those years ago.
Old 29 March 2017, 02:28 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Exercise extreme caution about going back to look at places that mattered to you.
I've been there before. My father moved out in summer 2003 but liked to go back and check on the trees from then until his death at the end of 2010. Any shock value of changes has dissipated (although I still think it was a huge mistake to paint the basement tan when the house is white with a red brick partial facade).

The trees are now old enough that I would understand if the current owners no longer wanted them (they were planted specifically to shade the front and back doors). In fact, the only one of the trees my father planted that I'd be saddened to see gone is the Ponderosa Pine.

Although, given that I only go to Pullman once a year, I might just use street view instead, as Die Capacitrix recommended.

I was hoping to have a new costume done for our local convention (well, two new costumes, actually), but it's taking a lot longer than I expected to make the underwear I need (I'm just not good at taking shortcuts in my sewing), so I'm only going to have one. The second will have to wait for Worldcon in Finland. Not that I'm going to stop working on it, just that I won't expect to have it finished until then. Which means its first appearance will be on the world stage, without a test run. That part makes me a little nervous.

Seaboe
Old 29 March 2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I just ordered a replacement for my appx. 15YO, no-longer-reliable home cervical traction device (aka "the rack," because it works by pulling on your spine). The new one looks like it will be more comfortable, and the price may actually have been less than I originally spent all those years ago.
Well, I thought I had.

But apparently the HSA card can't be used on Amazon. So now I'm trying to find medical equipment sites that sell it, but so far my google-fu isn't working well, and the few places that I have found all charge at least $50 more than Amazon for the same exact device. They may charge shipping, too, which would suck because it's a $300+ device and it's not light.

But the worst part is that Amazon would have had it to me by Friday, and I doubt anyone else will. I'm buying this device because I'm in pain.
Old 29 March 2017, 04:17 PM

You can generally request a distribution from your HSA account manager for out-of-pocket qualifying medical expenses, the card is just a handy shortcut. Check with your HSA's website for details.
Old 29 March 2017, 04:57 PM

I'm sure I could have done that, but it would have been a hassle, especially since it seems no one stocks it locally (I'm not surprised, the devices are bulky, expensive and probably aren't a high-turnover item). And of course I could have paid out of pocket and submitted it for reimbursement, but I hate doing that for large purchases, and the timing's not good for it.

As it happens, I found a place that had the device I wanted for "only" about $40 more than Amazon. I did have to pay for shipping -- $16.95 for "standard" shipping, which is 3-5 days, so it's really almost $60 more. And instead of Friday, by my calculations, I'll get it no sooner than Monday, assuming it ships today.

I had to place the order by phone because of an issue with their website. I kept getting an error message that my shipping and billing addresses didn't match, even though I'd checked the box to have the shipping address used as the billing address.

ETA: The checkout page says that standard shipping is 3-5 days. My confirmation email says 4-8 days. And shipments "typically" leave the warehouse "within two business days." So it will be here by the end of next week.

FETA: If WageWorks denies the card this time, we're going to have to have a come-to-Jesus meeting.

Last edited by Lainie; 29 March 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 29 March 2017, 06:38 PM

Glasses

Lainie, I can use my regular credit card and then tell my HSA to reimburse me. I do it all online. Can't you do that?

Seaboe
Old 29 March 2017, 06:43 PM

I don't have an HSA anymore, but when I did I had full access to the funds. I could withdraw them from the bank at will. I did this several times when I bought something with the wrong card.
Old 30 March 2017, 12:23 PM

Whalephant

I stopped at the grocery store yesterday and on a whim bought some Hostess SuziQs. The cashier said "are these new? I've never seen them before!". I told him I felt old now, then had to explain Hostess's bankruptcy and their slow Ness in bringing back SuziQs. He decided to buy some on break.
Old 30 March 2017, 01:17 PM

I fondly remember the Hostess bankruptcy due to this:

College Humor: Hostess Closes Down - Warning NSFW
Old 30 March 2017, 02:28 PM

Glasses

I'm working on this costume, and last night I finished the hand-sewing on 1/2 the corset (a body, I guess, since a corset was once known as a pair of bodies) and it's very pretty. Unfortunately, I was all excited to show someone how pretty it is, and no one to whom I could show it this morning would be at all interested. I can probably show it off next week, but some of the glow will be gone by then (and, with luck, it will be finished).

I've also discovered I'm really bad at mental health days. I've been meaning all week to stay home today as a mental health day, but here I am, at work. I just felt too healthy this morning to say I was sick. Yesterday, I didn't feel well (but not really sick, either), yet didn't go home because ... well, because my conscience wouldn't let me (because I was planning to stay home today). It's not as if anyone would miss me--nothing I'm working on is particularly urgent. There are some days when I wonder if my attorneys even know whether I'm here (this is not a complaint, really; I don't always know whether they're here as opposed to off at some meeting somewhere). Oh, well, tomorrow's Friday.

Seaboe
Old 30 March 2017, 03:14 PM

That was great, Beachlife.
Seaboe, maybe you can teach your dog to appreciate the costume? I mean, my wife has trained me to appreciate her knitting, since the friends who really get that "yes, that was 47 hours of labor" are not always available at 3 AM when she finally finishes it. So, I have learned to act impressed, ask some questions on it, compliment the colors, and not point out out that a good sweater like that is..what, $50?
Old 30 March 2017, 06:38 PM

Glasses

Too late for the dog. He insists on sitting on my lap during the hand-sewing part, so he gets poked with pins, bopped by stays, and draped with fabric (none of which he appreciates).

Seaboe
Old 30 March 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
As it happens, I found a place that had the device I wanted for "only" about $40 more than Amazon. I did have to pay for shipping -- $16.95 for "standard" shipping, which is 3-5 days, so it's really almost $60 more. And instead of Friday, by my calculations, I'll get it no sooner than Monday, assuming it ships today.
It was waiting for me when I got home today. Nice surprise. They must ship from a warehouse in Columbus.
Old 31 March 2017, 12:39 AM

Ah, so your dog is filling the role of our cat, by being an on-scene assistant. It would be too much to ask him to also fill my role of acting like I understand what she did and trying to appreciate it.
Old 31 March 2017, 11:59 AM

The 'baby' chickens at the graveyard are getting so big! They have adult looking feathers on their backs (but are still fluffy headed with downy pink patches of skin under their stubby wings).

I think of them as the Peeps, because they're starting to look more mature but still make little 'peep peep' chick noises.
Old 31 March 2017, 02:21 PM

We call that the "gawky teenager phase" with our chicks.
Old 31 March 2017, 02:39 PM

Glasses

I just found out a friend lost her cat on Sunday. This is sad, but not as sad as some pet deaths because he was old, and had had a stroke in January. Still, she's looking for excuses to get out of her apartment, so will be coming to my house this weekend to do laundry and use the wi-fi.

Seaboe
Old 31 March 2017, 09:12 PM

Can she properly appreciate your pretty corset?
Old 01 April 2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
We call that the "gawky teenager phase" with our chicks.
We get a lot of geese around here, and they tend to congregate along the bike paths I ride, so I spend a lot of time waiting for them to cross the street, as it were. I usually talk to them, my thinking that if I vocalize they'll move out of the way a bit quicker.

I've surely said "Your feathers are coming in nicely!" to the gawky teenaged geese who are sort of half fuzz, half feathers.
Old 02 April 2017, 02:24 AM

I've been away from snopes for a while under lots of stress.

Among other things, this week my beloved convertible, a 13-year-old car, finally said nope, not doing this anymore, and did so in such a dramatically expensive to fix fashion that I patted it on its soft black roof and said good-bye. And I bought a 3-year-old four-door sedan to replace it, which is very nice, and I am both excited and sad.

Also, I bought a car on April Fool's Day, so nobody is properly excited for me and probably won't believe me until I actually pick it up on Monday.

It is a much nicer car (as cars 10 years younger are wont to be), but it is not a convertible. If I had found a suitable convertible, I would have purchased one, but not even my longings could justify a sports car, and the only convertibles I could find used were Mustangs and Corvettes and one odd Mini Cooper. (An aside: Those were awesome cars. But totally wrong for me, in terms of price and upkeep.) In my 18 years of driving, close to 19, I have owned three cars before now, and two of them were convertibles. But I am likely to have this four-door sedan for a decade, and after that I'll be in my 40s, and I don't know if I'll ever have a convertible again.

So. I am happy and sad all at once.

The new car, however, has heated seats. Which is a major plus.