snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 18 May 2017, 03:56 PM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast WildaBeast is offline
 
Join Date: 18 July 2002
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 14,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Never go there again! It's "Schnitzel" not "Snitzel", for heaven's sake!
I probably ate more schnitzel while traveling in Australia than I did while traveling in Germany. I have no idea why it seems to be such a common food down there. (I assume it was on the menu GM posted -- I can't actually see it because they like to block photo sharing sites at work).

Regarding the quality of Mexican food, after living in California I can't eat the "Mexican" food served in other parts of the US, even places the locals consider "good". It's not even the quality so much, it's that most Mexican restaurants in California serve something that at least sort of resembles traditional Mexican food, while what the rest of the country considers "Mexican" is actually Tex-Mex. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with Tex-Mex, it's just that it's not what I've come to expect when I go to a Mexican restaurant.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 18 May 2017, 05:13 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
The pizza I had in Florence was pretty similar to American pizza. Slightly different toppings, but otherwise the same.
Well, admittedly my knowledge of Italian pizza dates to about the late 1970's, and I don't remember whether it included Florence -- I was briefly in Florence, but I was trying to vary what I ate a good bit so as to try a lot of stuff, and I may well not have had pizza there.

And American pizza has developed some new variations over the last thirty-five or forty years -- so, for that matter, may have the pizza in Italy.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 19 May 2017, 12:53 AM
kitap's Avatar
kitap kitap is offline
 
Join Date: 20 January 2001
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 9,391
Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post

Regarding the quality of Mexican food, after living in California I can't eat the "Mexican" food served in other parts of the US, even places the locals consider "good". It's not even the quality so much, it's that most Mexican restaurants in California serve something that at least sort of resembles traditional Mexican food, while what the rest of the country considers "Mexican" is actually Tex-Mex. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with Tex-Mex, it's just that it's not what I've come to expect when I go to a Mexican restaurant.
We have real Mexican here! In fact, tourists who go to Sonoran style restaurants are often disappointed because Sonoran really isn't spicy.
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 19 May 2017, 02:17 AM
Sylvanz's Avatar
Sylvanz Sylvanz is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,835
Bang Head

OMG, My best friend IRL just mentioned Seth Rich and said "False Flag" on her facebook. She asks questions, but doesn't really want anyone to debate with her. She only wants to hear people who agree with her. She says that's how she likes to use her facebook like she's at home. Ugh! She really isn't a stupid person, but on politics she's plain gone loony. She blames Trumplethinskin (that's a new one from a different friend ) getting into office entirely on the evil and corrupt DNC. Not on Trump voters, not on third party voters (she voted Stein), not on Russian meddling. Nope it was the DNC who apparently offed this Seth Rich guy (as reported by FOX news) for trying to give thousands of e-mails to wikileaks. His family is pissed that this crap is politicizing their son's death and taking the focus off finding who murdered him.

I hate seeing her spew such ignorant crap, but when she pops up on my phone I have to look like driving by a grisly accident.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 19 May 2017, 02:47 AM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast WildaBeast is offline
 
Join Date: 18 July 2002
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 14,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
We have real Mexican here! In fact, tourists who go to Sonoran style restaurants are often disappointed because Sonoran really isn't spicy.
Yeah, I realize real Mexican food isn't just limited to California. Although in my rather limited experience New Mexico seems to have its own unique style of Mexican influenced cuisine, with the whole "red sauce or green sauce" thing.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 19 May 2017, 03:54 AM
Beachlife!'s Avatar
Beachlife! Beachlife! is online now
 
Join Date: 22 June 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 27,899
Default

I'm not sure what you are calling authentic Mexican food, but I doubt its truly authentic. Though one can find particular dishes that are close to the mark. Tamales as an example don't seem to vary much throughout North America.

On the other hand tacos vary widely both in Mexico and throughout North America. With Tacos the dead give away is generally toppings. When I lived in Mexico, I ate a lot of tacos, but the only topping we used was hot sauce.

Mexican food varies widely a lot of places. I've had Tex Mex in California and dishes pretty close to authentic here in Michigan. To add to the confusion, Mexican food differs by region in Mexico. So what one might think is not authentic is just from a different region. If you're eating baby coat cooked over an open pit, its pretty authentic for my part of Mexico where tacos were breakfast food.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 19 May 2017, 06:46 AM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,426
Mexico

There's actually a Latin America taqueria just half a block from my house that seems like it's putting in a lot of effort at authenticity but I've never been there because it looks expensive, I really should check it out.

Although I really wouldn't know if it was authentic or not, I'd have to trust their word on it. We don't exactly get a lot of Mexican immigrants in Australia. I wish we had more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Well, the old idea of Chinese food in the USA wasn't anything recognizable in China. And American pizza isn't anything like Italian. Possibly that's what's considered "Mexican" food in the culture the restaurant owners come from?
Yeah that's what I'm assuming. The area has a fairly high Muslim population and there were actually quite a few other people at the 'Mexican' diner so I guess they liked the food just fine.
I didn't actually dislike the food but it was a perfectly fine if somewhat bland middle eastern platter as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 19 May 2017, 10:50 AM
mbravo's Avatar
mbravo mbravo is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 809
Default

I know it was just a typo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
If you're eating baby coat cooked over an open pit
...but thanks for this mental image, it gave me a laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 19 May 2017, 12:42 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7,576
Default

I was just about to post that if you're eating baby coat, you're probably so hungry that you're not likely to care about authenticity.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 19 May 2017, 02:16 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,270
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
most Mexican restaurants in California serve something that at least sort of resembles traditional Mexican food...
I'm sure that even as you say this you realize that Mexico is a big country, and what qualifies as traditional varies widely.

That said, I have a friend who grew up in Mexico, so if I were looking for authentic Mexican (as opposed to Tex-Mex or the variations thereof), I'd ask her for advice. She introduced my dinner group to a particularly good restaurant once, but I found there was little on their menu I was interested in trying. I realize that's my failing, but I'd rather go to a inauthentic restaurant with food I can actually eat.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 20 May 2017, 11:25 AM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 25,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I probably ate more schnitzel while traveling in Australia than I did while traveling in Germany. I have no idea why it seems to be such a common food down there.
Because it's an Austrian dish? At least in its best-known form over here, Wiener schnitzel...

(eta) D'oh! I can't believe I just confused Austria and Australia. But perhaps the restaurants were also doing that.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 20 May 2017, 03:20 PM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,426
Airplane

I'm currently helping some guys create a Top Gun themed event which will have several dozen wearable F-14 Tomcat fighter jets made out of cardboard (each nearly 3m long, or about 10') and a 25m/85' long cardboard replica of the USS Enterprise CVN-65 aircraft carrier. It's going to be crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 20 May 2017, 07:39 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 24,070
Default

Is it a puppet show? We saw a Top Gun puppet show and it was hilarious.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 20 May 2017, 08:11 PM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,426
Default

It's a performance piece that might end with everything getting destroyed in a giant cardboard-clad free-for-all but I'm not actually sure at this point.

A puppet shpw sounds pretty great
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 21 May 2017, 07:19 AM
Eoin's Avatar
Eoin Eoin is offline
 
Join Date: 25 May 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I probably ate more schnitzel while traveling in Australia than I did while traveling in Germany. I have no idea why it seems to be such a common food down there.
Because it goes with beer!
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 21 May 2017, 08:19 AM
kitap's Avatar
kitap kitap is offline
 
Join Date: 20 January 2001
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 9,391
Whalephant

There are two old coots in the lobby talking and one is busy proclaiming Why Trump is Great and why he voted for Trump. They were also rude to my security guard for zero reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 21 May 2017, 08:30 AM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
There are two old coots in the lobby talking and one is busy proclaiming Why Trump is Great and why he voted for Trump. They were also rude to my security guard for zero reasons.
I've noticed lots of stories about people being rude in public pointing out that they voted for Trump. They seem to think that the fact their guy won the election makes it okay for them to say horrible things out loud.

I'm guessing that their reasoning is something along the lines of "Well we had to listen to all that PC crap about respecting and tolerating people while Obama was in the White House, so now Trump is in the White House it's your turn to listen to us!"
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 21 May 2017, 10:12 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 22,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Because it's an Austrian dish?
You shouldn't have owned up to it. That was pretty funny.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 21 May 2017, 11:00 AM
kitap's Avatar
kitap kitap is offline
 
Join Date: 20 January 2001
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 9,391
Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I've noticed lots of stories about people being rude in public pointing out that they voted for Trump. They seem to think that the fact their guy won the election makes it okay for them to say horrible things out loud.

I'm guessing that their reasoning is something along the lines of "Well we had to listen to all that PC crap about respecting and tolerating people while Obama was in the White House, so now Trump is in the White House it's your turn to listen to us!"
I think they would have been rude if Hillary had won; they are retired professors and huge class snobs from their conversation. The one was also busy bashing the Midwest while slipping in that he'd taught in Delaware.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 21 May 2017, 12:19 PM
Dasla's Avatar
Dasla Dasla is offline
 
Join Date: 15 April 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Because it's an Austrian dish? At least in its best-known form over here, Wiener schnitzel...

(eta) D'oh! I can't believe I just confused Austria and Australia. But perhaps the restaurants were also doing that.
There was a series of ads here a few years ago where Arnold Schwarzenegger told his assistant he wanted to move back to Austria and was looking at a real estate site...for Australia. He was looking at all sorts of Australian places and wondering why he hadn't heard of them before (Wagga Wagga pronounced Vagga Vagga etc) I think he even ended up coming here under the apparent belief he was back home in Austria. So if the former Govenator can do it you are allowed. I was pleased to know he had a good sense of humour and was quite happy to send himself up a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAXxnvLmtdc

I also believe that is how Australia ended up in Eurovision.

"Australia? Australia!!? I said check with Austria to see how their preparations for Eurovision are going!! Oh well I guess we let them come and tell them it is a special invitation because of the 60th anniversary."

Richard W you weren't on the committee for Eurovision a few years ago were you?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unhijackable Seaboe Muffinchucker SLC 1056 08 March 2017 02:17 AM
Unhijackable quink SLC 17 21 November 2016 12:45 AM
Unhijackable smittykins SLC 1014 28 April 2016 11:19 PM
Unhijackable Gutter Monkey SLC 1054 25 June 2015 02:31 AM
Unhijackable Seaboe Muffinchucker SLC 1003 15 December 2014 06:24 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.