snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 18 May 2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Never go there again! It's "Schnitzel" not "Snitzel", for heaven's sake!
I probably ate more schnitzel while traveling in Australia than I did while traveling in Germany. I have no idea why it seems to be such a common food down there. (I assume it was on the menu GM posted -- I can't actually see it because they like to block photo sharing sites at work).

Regarding the quality of Mexican food, after living in California I can't eat the "Mexican" food served in other parts of the US, even places the locals consider "good". It's not even the quality so much, it's that most Mexican restaurants in California serve something that at least sort of resembles traditional Mexican food, while what the rest of the country considers "Mexican" is actually Tex-Mex. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with Tex-Mex, it's just that it's not what I've come to expect when I go to a Mexican restaurant.
Old 18 May 2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
The pizza I had in Florence was pretty similar to American pizza. Slightly different toppings, but otherwise the same.
Well, admittedly my knowledge of Italian pizza dates to about the late 1970's, and I don't remember whether it included Florence -- I was briefly in Florence, but I was trying to vary what I ate a good bit so as to try a lot of stuff, and I may well not have had pizza there.

And American pizza has developed some new variations over the last thirty-five or forty years -- so, for that matter, may have the pizza in Italy.
Old 19 May 2017, 12:53 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post

Regarding the quality of Mexican food, after living in California I can't eat the "Mexican" food served in other parts of the US, even places the locals consider "good". It's not even the quality so much, it's that most Mexican restaurants in California serve something that at least sort of resembles traditional Mexican food, while what the rest of the country considers "Mexican" is actually Tex-Mex. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with Tex-Mex, it's just that it's not what I've come to expect when I go to a Mexican restaurant.
We have real Mexican here! In fact, tourists who go to Sonoran style restaurants are often disappointed because Sonoran really isn't spicy.
Old 19 May 2017, 02:17 AM

Bang Head

OMG, My best friend IRL just mentioned Seth Rich and said "False Flag" on her facebook. She asks questions, but doesn't really want anyone to debate with her. She only wants to hear people who agree with her. She says that's how she likes to use her facebook like she's at home. Ugh! She really isn't a stupid person, but on politics she's plain gone loony. She blames Trumplethinskin (that's a new one from a different friend ) getting into office entirely on the evil and corrupt DNC. Not on Trump voters, not on third party voters (she voted Stein), not on Russian meddling. Nope it was the DNC who apparently offed this Seth Rich guy (as reported by FOX news) for trying to give thousands of e-mails to wikileaks. His family is pissed that this crap is politicizing their son's death and taking the focus off finding who murdered him.

I hate seeing her spew such ignorant crap, but when she pops up on my phone I have to look like driving by a grisly accident.
Old 19 May 2017, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
We have real Mexican here! In fact, tourists who go to Sonoran style restaurants are often disappointed because Sonoran really isn't spicy.
Yeah, I realize real Mexican food isn't just limited to California. Although in my rather limited experience New Mexico seems to have its own unique style of Mexican influenced cuisine, with the whole "red sauce or green sauce" thing.
Old 19 May 2017, 03:54 AM

I'm not sure what you are calling authentic Mexican food, but I doubt its truly authentic. Though one can find particular dishes that are close to the mark. Tamales as an example don't seem to vary much throughout North America.

On the other hand tacos vary widely both in Mexico and throughout North America. With Tacos the dead give away is generally toppings. When I lived in Mexico, I ate a lot of tacos, but the only topping we used was hot sauce.

Mexican food varies widely a lot of places. I've had Tex Mex in California and dishes pretty close to authentic here in Michigan. To add to the confusion, Mexican food differs by region in Mexico. So what one might think is not authentic is just from a different region. If you're eating baby coat cooked over an open pit, its pretty authentic for my part of Mexico where tacos were breakfast food.
Old 19 May 2017, 06:46 AM

Mexico

There's actually a Latin America taqueria just half a block from my house that seems like it's putting in a lot of effort at authenticity but I've never been there because it looks expensive, I really should check it out.

Although I really wouldn't know if it was authentic or not, I'd have to trust their word on it. We don't exactly get a lot of Mexican immigrants in Australia. I wish we had more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Well, the old idea of Chinese food in the USA wasn't anything recognizable in China. And American pizza isn't anything like Italian. Possibly that's what's considered "Mexican" food in the culture the restaurant owners come from?
Yeah that's what I'm assuming. The area has a fairly high Muslim population and there were actually quite a few other people at the 'Mexican' diner so I guess they liked the food just fine.
I didn't actually dislike the food but it was a perfectly fine if somewhat bland middle eastern platter as far as I'm concerned.
Old 19 May 2017, 10:50 AM

I know it was just a typo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
If you're eating baby coat cooked over an open pit
...but thanks for this mental image, it gave me a laugh.
Old 19 May 2017, 12:42 PM

I was just about to post that if you're eating baby coat, you're probably so hungry that you're not likely to care about authenticity.
Old 19 May 2017, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Quote:
most Mexican restaurants in California serve something that at least sort of resembles traditional Mexican food...
I'm sure that even as you say this you realize that Mexico is a big country, and what qualifies as traditional varies widely.

That said, I have a friend who grew up in Mexico, so if I were looking for authentic Mexican (as opposed to Tex-Mex or the variations thereof), I'd ask her for advice. She introduced my dinner group to a particularly good restaurant once, but I found there was little on their menu I was interested in trying. I realize that's my failing, but I'd rather go to a inauthentic restaurant with food I can actually eat.

Seaboe
Old 20 May 2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I probably ate more schnitzel while traveling in Australia than I did while traveling in Germany. I have no idea why it seems to be such a common food down there.
Because it's an Austrian dish? At least in its best-known form over here, Wiener schnitzel...

(eta) D'oh! I can't believe I just confused Austria and Australia. But perhaps the restaurants were also doing that.
Old 20 May 2017, 03:20 PM

Airplane

I'm currently helping some guys create a Top Gun themed event which will have several dozen wearable F-14 Tomcat fighter jets made out of cardboard (each nearly 3m long, or about 10') and a 25m/85' long cardboard replica of the USS Enterprise CVN-65 aircraft carrier. It's going to be crazy.
Old 20 May 2017, 07:39 PM

Is it a puppet show? We saw a Top Gun puppet show and it was hilarious.
Old 20 May 2017, 08:11 PM

It's a performance piece that might end with everything getting destroyed in a giant cardboard-clad free-for-all but I'm not actually sure at this point.

A puppet shpw sounds pretty great
Old 21 May 2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I probably ate more schnitzel while traveling in Australia than I did while traveling in Germany. I have no idea why it seems to be such a common food down there.
Because it goes with beer!
Old 21 May 2017, 08:19 AM

Whalephant

There are two old coots in the lobby talking and one is busy proclaiming Why Trump is Great and why he voted for Trump. They were also rude to my security guard for zero reasons.
Old 21 May 2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
There are two old coots in the lobby talking and one is busy proclaiming Why Trump is Great and why he voted for Trump. They were also rude to my security guard for zero reasons.
I've noticed lots of stories about people being rude in public pointing out that they voted for Trump. They seem to think that the fact their guy won the election makes it okay for them to say horrible things out loud.

I'm guessing that their reasoning is something along the lines of "Well we had to listen to all that PC crap about respecting and tolerating people while Obama was in the White House, so now Trump is in the White House it's your turn to listen to us!"
Old 21 May 2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Because it's an Austrian dish?
You shouldn't have owned up to it. That was pretty funny.
Old 21 May 2017, 11:00 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I've noticed lots of stories about people being rude in public pointing out that they voted for Trump. They seem to think that the fact their guy won the election makes it okay for them to say horrible things out loud.

I'm guessing that their reasoning is something along the lines of "Well we had to listen to all that PC crap about respecting and tolerating people while Obama was in the White House, so now Trump is in the White House it's your turn to listen to us!"
I think they would have been rude if Hillary had won; they are retired professors and huge class snobs from their conversation. The one was also busy bashing the Midwest while slipping in that he'd taught in Delaware.
Old 21 May 2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Because it's an Austrian dish? At least in its best-known form over here, Wiener schnitzel...

(eta) D'oh! I can't believe I just confused Austria and Australia. But perhaps the restaurants were also doing that.
There was a series of ads here a few years ago where Arnold Schwarzenegger told his assistant he wanted to move back to Austria and was looking at a real estate site...for Australia. He was looking at all sorts of Australian places and wondering why he hadn't heard of them before (Wagga Wagga pronounced Vagga Vagga etc) I think he even ended up coming here under the apparent belief he was back home in Austria. So if the former Govenator can do it you are allowed. I was pleased to know he had a good sense of humour and was quite happy to send himself up a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAXxnvLmtdc

I also believe that is how Australia ended up in Eurovision.

"Australia? Australia!!? I said check with Austria to see how their preparations for Eurovision are going!! Oh well I guess we let them come and tell them it is a special invitation because of the 60th anniversary."

Richard W you weren't on the committee for Eurovision a few years ago were you?