snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 16 May 2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I just want to be treated with respect and courtesy, and I want other jobhunters to be treated that way, too. It's the best thing for them and for the company.
Sorry you didn't get the spot. Hopefully the HR department takes heed of what happened, and work to make it a better process next time. While I have interviewed with companies over the years, a couple of the firms had VERY good HR departments that made sure I knew what was going on with the process, and if I got the job. I commented to one manager that it was really nice of him to do let me know that I didn't get the job, and why I hadn't. He said it was a basic thing to do, since we work in a relatively small industry, so odds are I would deal with him or his firm again and he wanted me to have positive views on them. Or, someday, he might be the person interviewing and he wanted to be treated that way.

Ok, odds are the HR department will never change or treat jobhunters as human beings.
Old 16 May 2017, 07:13 PM

Honestly, I'm not disappointed about the job anymore, because the hiring manager seems to be such a jerk. She's responsible for most of these issues: it was her responsibility to notify me, and she's the one who apparently tossed my portfolio -- and didn't have the guts to say so.

So good news: I dodged a bullet. At the very least, this woman and I have incompatible ideas about how people should be treated.

Bad news: I had to put up with a lot of disrespect, obfuscation and lying to figure that out.
Old 16 May 2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I actually checked out a few escalators for this exact reason but couldn't find any with suitable escape options in case security got upset
I honestly don't know if you are joking.
Old 17 May 2017, 04:55 AM

He's Gutter Monkey. I don't think he's joking.
Old 17 May 2017, 05:42 AM

Yeah I wasn't joking.
Old 17 May 2017, 02:33 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That is then ridden down a staircase.
Or over a waterfall (Warning! Professional kayaker! Do not try this at home!).

That waterfall, btw, is about 70 miles from where I grew up. If you were driving through on the highway, you wouldn't even realize there was much of a river, let alone a 189 foot tall waterfall.

Seaboe
Old 17 May 2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Or over a waterfall (Warning! Professional kayaker! Do not try this at home!).
Different link. They be crazy.

I guess it's been a while since I've been in the area. That's not how I would pronounce Palouse.

And this site agrees with me. (Under Washington, for those who don't know PNW geography.)

Last edited by Die Capacitrix; 17 May 2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Add pronunciation link for Palouse.
Old 17 May 2017, 07:38 PM

I heard a story on the radio news that was teased as having happened in WA. When I heard the whole story, I guessed it happened in Puyallup, not from the announcer's stumbling over it, but just from the pause when she got to that word.
Old 18 May 2017, 10:05 AM

Mexico

There's a diner in the next suburb over called Fahita's Mexican Food which is also halal and I've been meaning to check it out. I finally got a chance tonight when I ended up in that part of town at dinner time.

I wanted to order the fajitas but they don't sell fajitas, or burritos or tacos or nachos or any of the other dishes I was expecting. They mostly had platters and hamburgers so I ordered a Mexicana Platter since it was the most Mexican sounding item on the menu.

This is what I got:

The salad is a heap of sweet corn (uncooked), a heap of lettuce (no dressing) and some pickled gherkin. The dipping sauce seemed to be tartar. The roll was plain white bread (untoasted) with grilled chicken, corn, lettuce and pickled gherkin. I'm not sure what the sauce was but it definitely wasn't Mexican.

I'm so confused.

Edit: I found a photo of their menu online
Old 18 May 2017, 11:47 AM

Never go there again! It's "Schnitzel" not "Snitzel", for heaven's sake!

Every fahita cook worth his or her money should know that!

Old 18 May 2017, 11:59 AM

Whalephant

My dad, brother and I went out to Disneyland to see my brother-in-law and sister since they were in the LA for something Air Force-y and for a few vacation days. Dad is 87 and doesn't have much of an appetite any more.

Dad and I had an afternoon snack at t he Red Rose Taverne in Fantasyland. I had the Grey Stuff (I don't recommend it) and dad the Lemon Rose cake. It wasn't big, but he took a bite, said "this is pretty good" , I looked down at the table and his cake was gone. It was like vacuumed up. He doesn't even eat flan that fast.
Old 18 May 2017, 12:40 PM

GM, that looks like a great place to never, ever go again.

It reminded me of the worse place I went to. I was working in very small town West Virginia and asked the locals for a place to go. They all recommended a great place in town, so a group of about 8 of us went there. The specials were things like hot dogs and hamburgers, so nothing really special. We ordered, and waited. About a half hour later, we asked the waiter and he said it'd be right out. A half hour later, we asked and were told the same. We complained about the delay, and the owner said it was due to the huge rush of the 8 of us, all at once. About 15 minutes later, I got my hot dog. It was a hot dog in a piece of Wonder bread, a slice of pickle, nothing else. I asked what happened to the rest of the platter, and was told that WAS the platter. I guess the regular meal didn't have the pickle? Over the next hour or so, everyone else got their meals, all terrible, all pretty expensive. We never did figure out if the locals really thought that was a good place, or they sent us there so we wouldn't take up space at a better place, or it was a joke.
Old 18 May 2017, 12:45 PM

Please tell me the sweet corn on the sandwich was cooked.

I wish restaurants wouldn't put it in quite so many things anyway. I've always loved it, but these days it really, really doesn't agree with me.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:22 PM

Well, the old idea of Chinese food in the USA wasn't anything recognizable in China. And American pizza isn't anything like Italian. Possibly that's what's considered "Mexican" food in the culture the restaurant owners come from?
Old 18 May 2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That is then ridden down a staircase.
Quote:
I actually checked out a few escalators for this exact reason but couldn't find any with suitable escape options in case security got upset
Get wheels for your kayak, it increases your options tremendously...
Old 18 May 2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Well, the old idea of Chinese food in the USA wasn't anything recognizable in China. And American pizza isn't anything like Italian. Possibly that's what's considered "Mexican" food in the culture the restaurant owners come from?
Seeing as the restaurant is called Fahitas... you can't expect them to actually serve fajitas.

Old 18 May 2017, 01:46 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
That's how it is here. People do kayak on the big lakes, but they generally buy sea kayaks for that. I'm looking to paddle around the river by my house and a small lake where I vacation in Wisconsin.
Part o f the Wisconsin River that flows through Wausau is used for whitewater kayak races.
Old 18 May 2017, 02:22 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
And American pizza isn't anything like Italian.
The pizza I had in Florence was pretty similar to American pizza. Slightly different toppings, but otherwise the same. Then again, the American pizza I'm most familiar with is thin-crusted and doesn't carry pounds of toppings.

Ferdinand is driving me crazy with his walking attitude. While we were in Spokane, I walked him over 4 miles each morning, and he was quite good about it (even the day it rained). Since we got back, he's been dragging his paws again. It isn't that he's stopping to sniff everything (I don't really mind that), it's just that he's walking very slowly.

Then, in the afternoon, he's really excited to get out and go walk--an excitement that lasts for about two blocks before he's dragging his paws again. I'm beginning to wonder whether it has to do with food. I don't have time to feed him before we go walking in the morning, but maybe we should wait to walk in the evening until after he's had dinner. I might give it a try this weekend.

I go back to Spokane for Memorial Day. We'll see if he's as good at walking the four miles this time.

Seaboe
Old 18 May 2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The Elbphilharmonie concert hall in Hamburg sports a 82 meter long escalator (said to be the longest in Europe).

The building is surrounded by water on three sides, so lots of escape routes if you are in a kayak...
Old 18 May 2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Please tell me the sweet corn on the sandwich was cooked.
You mean sandwhich.