snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 14 May 2017, 01:29 PM

On FB my daughter just posted a picture of my husband and I holding her as a baby. Ok I have clearly been deluding myself and now must concede I do not look 25 anymore!!
Old 15 May 2017, 12:15 AM

I hate when that happens.
Old 15 May 2017, 04:22 AM

I almost put this in "odd things you saw today", but I guess it's not that odd, just something I didn't realize until now. I don't shop at Wal-Mart all that much if only because Target is closer to my house (and honestly I prefer the shopping experience at Target), but I happened to be near Wal-Mart today so I just went and did my shopping there. As I was walking in I noticed they had a couple of kayaks on display out front. I had no idea Wal-Mart sold kayaks. If I were buying a kayak I'd probably go to a sporting goods store or a dedicated outdoors store like REI. I wouldn't even think of Wal-Mart. And honestly I'm not sure how much I'd trust a kayak from Wal-Mart.
Old 15 May 2017, 06:50 AM

Bacon

I shop at Wal-Mart instead of Target because the one near where I live has an Auntie Anne's Pretzel's in it.
Old 15 May 2017, 09:26 AM

Bonsai Kitten

My lazy orange cat originally belonged to a family who lives around the corner but it decided it liked living at my house better and stopped going home so it pretty much became mine by default. When they moved overseas for a year or so she officially became mine.

That family recently came back from overseas and moved back into their house and they got a new kitten last month. They just knocked on my door to give me a flyer, apparently they lost their new cat already.
Old 15 May 2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
It's possible, but at this point it's been almost a week since they made an offer to the other woman on my team. And I know there were only a handful of applicants.
I learned this morning that the second position remains open and they're scheduling interviews. I learned this indirectly, from an email sent to my boss, about their wanting my help with the process mapping these positions were created for, since there's a lot of demand and they've only filled one of the positions.
Old 15 May 2017, 12:32 PM

Icon104

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I almost put this in "odd things you saw today", but I guess it's not that odd, just something I didn't realize until now. I don't shop at Wal-Mart all that much if only because Target is closer to my house (and honestly I prefer the shopping experience at Target), but I happened to be near Wal-Mart today so I just went and did my shopping there. As I was walking in I noticed they had a couple of kayaks on display out front. I had no idea Wal-Mart sold kayaks. If I were buying a kayak I'd probably go to a sporting goods store or a dedicated outdoors store like REI. I wouldn't even think of Wal-Mart. And honestly I'm not sure how much I'd trust a kayak from Wal-Mart.
I bought my kayak at home depot....
It all depends on how good a deal it is.
Old 15 May 2017, 01:27 PM

I bought an old Kodak camera (1940's). Not that I expect it to work, and it is not really worth anything, but I put them on a shelf in my office just because.

When I got home and started checking it out I found it still had a roll of film loaded. That's cool!

I talked to an old friend that manages the photo lab (teaches, too) for a college. He was developing his own film back in high school. He said since the film was color there was not much hope for it. Who knows what treatment the camera and film has had over the years so... That's trash!

Bonus points for the reference there. That's cool!

Bonus points do not count for anything. That's trash!
Old 15 May 2017, 02:36 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
It all depends on how good a deal it is.
I've been considering buying one from Meijer. If you are just looking to paddle on a slow river or a less than great lake, its not going to matter where you buy it from.
Old 15 May 2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
I bought an old Kodak camera (1940's). Not that I expect it to work, and it is not really worth anything, but I put them on a shelf in my office just because.

When I got home and started checking it out I found it still had a roll of film loaded. That's cool!

I talked to an old friend that manages the photo lab (teaches, too) for a college. He was developing his own film back in high school. He said since the film was color there was not much hope for it. Who knows what treatment the camera and film has had over the years so... That's trash!
If you haven't already trashed it, consider sending it to the Rescued Film Project. They're awfully good at salvaging film that has spent decades under all sorts of conditions.
Old 15 May 2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I've been considering buying one from Meijer.
Also places I had no idea sold kayaks...

And you're right, I'm sure they're perfectly fine if you just want to paddle around a like or something.
Old 15 May 2017, 04:16 PM

That's what people around here mostly do with kayaks. Sea kayaking isn't exactly an option, and you'd need to make at least a day trip to do any whitewater. I imagine that's true of a lot of the country.
Old 15 May 2017, 04:44 PM

Bang Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
And you're right, I'm sure they're perfectly fine if you just want to paddle around a like or something.
Lake. That should say lake.
Old 15 May 2017, 04:51 PM

Theme Icon

It is "lake" if you say it with an exaggerated Australian accent...
Old 15 May 2017, 05:28 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
That's what people around here mostly do with kayaks. Sea kayaking isn't exactly an option, and you'd need to make at least a day trip to do any whitewater. I imagine that's true of a lot of the country.
That's how it is here. People do kayak on the big lakes, but they generally buy sea kayaks for that. I'm looking to paddle around the river by my house and a small lake where I vacation in Wisconsin.
Old 16 May 2017, 12:18 PM

Sea kayaks are usually long and will have a keel and rudder.
White water kayaks will be mid-size, slender, with no noticeable keel and will have a skirt included.
Both of these will tend to have a useful amount of stowage space inside the body of the kayak.
"Lake" or calm-water kayaks tend to be short and broad, with minimal stowage capacity, and a kinda-sorta keel.

You just have to make sure that the one you buy has what you need for the use you're going to put it too, and remember that the various features are there for a reason. IE I would not take my calm water kayak down a rapid strewn-river or on a large body of water with noticeable tides.
Old 16 May 2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Sea kayaks are usually long and will have a keel and rudder.
White water kayaks will be mid-size, slender, with no noticeable keel and will have a skirt included.
Both of these will tend to have a useful amount of stowage space inside the body of the kayak.
"Lake" or calm-water kayaks tend to be short and broad, with minimal stowage capacity, and a kinda-sorta keel.
I guess if I was a kayak I'd be a calm-water kayak in that case
Old 16 May 2017, 02:33 PM

Finally got an answer from HR about the lack of notification. They were giving the hiring manager a chance to have a conversation with me. They even provided a copy of the email they sent her explaining her responsibilities and HR's during the interview process, and showing that she was told she was responsible for notifying unsuccessful internal candidates. So, she just chose not to, apparently.

Also, she apparently threw away my portfolio, because she responded to my email asking for it with "Unfortunately, I no longer have it."

I have no idea if this is how she treats everyone -- if so I dodged a bullet -- but if not, I wonder WTF she's got against me. I can't imagine taking someone's portfolio during an interview and interpreting their saying it was ok to "hang onto it" to mean "it's disposable, feel free to throw it away when you're finished." She sits one floor down from me. She could have handed it to her admin and said "Get this back to Elaine, please."

ETA: HR isn't completely off the hook, because they didn't mail their form email notification until they got my email asking about the notification process. The additional explanation came when I sent that back to them and asked if they intended it as a response, since it did not answer my questions. I'm sure they were hoping I'd just shut up and go away when I saw the form email. And realistically, except for discussing this with my boss (she's on vacation this week), I'm done. I'm not in a position to make any more of a fuss, it will just look (unfairly, IMO) like I'm whining about not getting the job. I just want to be treated with respect and courtesy, and I want other jobhunters to be treated that way, too. It's the best thing for them and for the company.

Last edited by Lainie; 16 May 2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 16 May 2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I guess if I was a kayak I'd be a calm-water kayak in that case
That is then ridden down a staircase.
Old 16 May 2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That is then ridden down a staircase.
I actually checked out a few escalators for this exact reason but couldn't find any with suitable escape options in case security got upset