snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 28 April 2017, 08:08 PM

I get a green tint when I hear Trump talk.
Old 29 April 2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I get a green tint when I hear Trump talk.
Somehow this is reminding me of THE HYPNOTOAD.
Old 01 May 2017, 02:29 PM

Glasses

I went out on Saturday to buy the fabric I decided I needed for my chemise (I wanted batiste, lawn or voile). I headed straight for the drapery sheers, because in the past I have found some wonderful cotton there. Alas, even though this store was a step up from JoAnn's in terms of fabric quality, all of their drapery sheers were 100% polyester. Polyester and chemises are not compatible.

Luckily, because this is still the season of summer fabrics, they had a lovely voile (they also had some gauze, but I wanted a finer weave), 57" wide, 100% organic cotton. Actually, they had two. One was $19 per yard, while the other was "only" $14. Okay, it's been a long time since I've bought fabric in a regular fabric store.

I also picked up two yards of quilting cotton because it occurred to me that my pocket hoops don't have to be made from boring cream colored broadcloth. That, happily, was 25% off--of $14 per yard.

So now I know I'm totally out of touch with regular fabric prices. At the discount store I patronize (because some of the fabrics I'm looking for aren't actually carried by regular fabric stores these days), I got 6 yards of a heavy, creamy crepe-back satin for just a hair more than I paid for my chemise fabric ($36 versus $35). Yes, it's polyester, but it's very high quality polyester and it's not going directly against my skin.

If I didn't have quite a stash (although I have reduced it by about 1/3 in the last few years), I'd be priced out of my favorite hobby.

Seaboe
Old 03 May 2017, 11:52 AM

Melvin the (left) lymph node was back to normal size as of yesterday.

This morning, his twin on the other side is enlarged and painful.[head-desk]

I sent my PCP a message, asking whether I should just continue as the same-day center doc recommended.
Old 03 May 2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Melvin the (left) lymph node was back to normal size as of yesterday.

This morning, his twin on the other side is enlarged and painful.[head-desk]

I sent my PCP a message, asking whether I should just continue as the same-day center doc recommended.
Right side node can be called Marvin!

Old 03 May 2017, 03:24 PM

I named it Aloysius. The names are getting odder as I get more annoyed. If the left one swells up again I'm naming it NFBSK.
Old 04 May 2017, 02:56 AM

Someone on Facebook posted about how they were playing "Shake Your Rump" by the Beastie Boys and they were amused when they saw an elderly gentleman do "a little butt jiggle". I had to point out that this wasn't that weird if you consider that if the guy is now 60 then he would have only been 32 when the song came out.
Old 04 May 2017, 03:25 AM

Icon401

My sons have offered me decent money to not dance in front of them.
Old 04 May 2017, 02:20 PM

Glasses

Did you accept, DrRocket?

I'm pleased to be able to say I was ahead of the curve with my boss, concerning our upcoming move. I'd already spoken to our assistant about how we were going to get rid of most of the books, and put 90+% of the files into storage. Yesterday, my boss came in to ask me how much of each we were going to need, since we're going to have very little room for either in the new space (they're shoe-horning 11 attorneys, 3 paralegals and 2 assistants into the existing space without moving any of the current occupants). This is the same space I worked in when I first joined the company, in 1999. Only then I had an office, and now I'll have a cubicle.

I will, however, get my choice of cubicles as the most senior of the staff.

In the meantime, I'm working to organize the file information so that people will be able to find things after I retire (in approximately 3 years, 8 months).

Seaboe
Old 04 May 2017, 02:58 PM

May the Fourth be with you all, Snopesters!

Old 04 May 2017, 07:53 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
My sons have offered me decent money to not dance in front of them.
My daugthers have a list of things I'm not allowed to do around them. The one thing I can remember at the moment is drink from a 40 ouncer at a party.
Old 04 May 2017, 08:26 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
The one thing I can remember at the moment is drink from a 40 ouncer at a party.
Just for clarity sake, is that drink straight from the bottle, or drink at all?
Old 05 May 2017, 12:55 PM

I was working at a corporate trivia gig this afternoon and it turned out that an old friend actually worked at that company, but at the end of the gig she disappeared without saying goodbye. I had to remind myself that during my DJ set I'd played Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger, One Week by Barenaked Ladies and Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind so it's pretty understandable that she'd pretend she didn't know me after I'd subjected everyone to that.

In my defence I also could have played All Star by Smash Mouth but withheld it.
Old 05 May 2017, 02:17 PM

Glasses

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I heard the emergency broadcast system when it wasn't "just a test." I heard it three times in an hour (two different radio stations, two different messages).

Granted, I don't live in an area with a lot of severe weather, and I only listen to the radio during my commute.

The announcements were in honor of a fast moving (30-40 mph) thunderstorm with golf-ball sized hail and a lot of cloud to ground lightning. It was to the south of me, so all I got was some hard rain and lots of lightning and thunder.

Seaboe
Old 05 May 2017, 02:53 PM

Back in March, I applied for a different position at work. I thought I was a pretty strong candidate; so did my boss and several other people I discussed it with. I had an interview on 4/10, and a second interview on 4/21. I still haven't heard anything, one way or another. I asked another woman who also applied (there were two open positions), and she told me they made her an offer several days ago.

At this point, I'm not even that disappointed about the job. I wasn't 100% sure I'd accept anyway. But I am very unhappy with the lack of communication. I'm used to not getting any "no thank you" communication as an external applicant, but I'm an associate, I know there were only a few applicants, and the hiring manager wouldn't even have to do it herself -- she could delegate it to HR.

ETA: If nothing else, the hiring manager should have a conversation with me, through my manager if possible, re: why I wasn't selected and what I can to do to improve my qualifications. It's exactly the sort of career development conversation we're constantly encouraged to have.

Last edited by Lainie; 05 May 2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05 May 2017, 07:29 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Just for clarity sake, is that drink straight from the bottle, or drink at all?
Straight from the bottle. I think if I poured it in a glass they'd be okay with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I was working at a corporate trivia gig this afternoon and it turned out that an old friend actually worked at that company, but at the end of the gig she disappeared without saying goodbye. I had to remind myself that during my DJ set I'd played Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger, One Week by Barenaked Ladies and Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind so it's pretty understandable that she'd pretend she didn't know me after I'd subjected everyone to that.

In my defence I also could have played All Star by Smash Mouth but withheld it.
This reminds me of the line from LaLa Land; "You don't ask a serious musician to play 'I Ran'".
Old 05 May 2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I asked another woman who also applied (there were two open positions), and she told me they made her an offer several days ago.
Is it possible they are waiting to hear back from the candidates that received offers? They may have you on hold in case the offers are declined and they are not willing (or are unable) to negotiate.
Old 05 May 2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I heard the emergency broadcast system when it wasn't "just a test." I heard it three times in an hour (two different radio stations, two different messages).
I live close enough to Oroville that when they were having the problems with the dam a few month back I heard the evacuation order on a local radio station via the emergency broadcast system. That wasn't the first time I heard one that wasn't just a test, though; I've heard them for tornado warnings and such when I was growing up back east.
Old 05 May 2017, 07:54 PM

I live a few blocks from a modest dam, nothing like the Oroville dam. When the windows are open, I can clearly hear the alarm tests. I can also hear the alarms that go off when they release significant water downstream. Luckily, I am on the up-river side of the damn.
Old 06 May 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Granted, I don't live in an area with a lot of severe weather, and I only listen to the radio during my commute.

The announcements were in honor of a fast moving (30-40 mph) thunderstorm with golf-ball sized hail and a lot of cloud to ground lightning. It was to the south of me, so all I got was some hard rain and lots of lightning and thunder.

Seaboe
One responsibility we had as DJs at my campus radio station back in college was occasionally broadcasting the EAS test if it came through while we were on air. But during my junior year, my cohost was taking a final during our last broadcast and there was also a huge storm going on- I think it was like you mentioned, hail and severe winds, lightning, severe flash floods etc- and so I had to actually broadcast the REAL alert. I think it had a component that I had to read out loud about road safety or something but I don't remember it too well- that may have just been a separate responsibility that happened during the same show.

Nevertheless it was cool after a few years of obediently airing the tests to actually see the system doing its real job.