snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 25 April 2017, 01:14 PM

My bank just implemented new online banking software. Online banking was shut down late last week, and came back up this morning.

The bank is owned by my employer, and my newest co-worker transferred to us from the bank. He warned us last week that he expected it to be a very messy implementation, and there might be problems with our accounts. I don't keep a lot of money in there anyway, but since I knew I had no debits or fees coming up, I withdrew most of it the day before the implementation started, with the intention of just not using my debit card until this was all over. I slipped up once, no big deal, small transaction, I knew I had it covered.

I logged in this morning and my balance is negative. My first thought was that I'd miscalculated, and that one slip-up had put me in the red. No. I was in the black after that transaction, and then they took two $25 fees out. The description of the fee is "Fee 25: R01," which doesn't exactly tell me anything. I'm not subject to annual or low balance fees because I'm an employee and have direct deposit.

And of course the hold times today are extremely long.

ETA: Also, one of the security questions I chose is "What is your favorite animal?", so naturally I answered cat. When I submitted the form, I got an error: answers need to be between 4 and 32 characters. D'oh

Last edited by Lainie; 25 April 2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 25 April 2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
ETA: Also, one of the security questions I chose is "What is your favorite animal?", so naturally I answered cat. When I submitted the form, I got an error: answers need to be between 4 and 32 characters. D'oh
And that's why a dogge is a superior pet
Old 26 April 2017, 12:49 AM

Hello Kitty

Or you could use kitteh
Old 26 April 2017, 02:35 AM

Feline.

Or, for that matter, canine.
Old 26 April 2017, 10:59 AM

Alas, I didn't even think of feline. Or kitty. Or Iris, the actual name of one of my cats.

ETA: Woke up with a big swollen lump on one side of my neck. Like a swollen lymph node (I have been sick), but BIG. I'm waiting for the doctor's office to open so I can try to get into their same-day center.
Old 26 April 2017, 02:10 PM

United Kingdom

London police noticed some men acting strangely and after chasing them they recovered a 13 inch blade nearby which was probably dumped by the men. A bunch of people on Facebook are making posts about how the shops that sell these blades should be shut down and the owners jailed.

That's a gardening saw. If they closed down all the shops that sold them then they'd have to close down all the nurseries and garden centres, most department stores and many many supermarkets.
Old 26 April 2017, 02:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Woke up with a big swollen lump on one side of my neck.
[teasing] Whatever you do, don't scratch it open. They'll make you wear a cone of shame[/teasing]

I'm teasing because this is what happened to Ferdinand last summer: he got an infection (probably from a bug bite or plant prick). He was on anti-biotics and all was going well until he scratched it open (apparently, it itched a lot). It did heal, but keeping him from scratching it was an adventure that involved two different cones of shame, stripy socks and a very annoyed dog.

Seaboe
Old 26 April 2017, 02:42 PM

Aw, poor puppy.

It feels like it's getting bigger, but I think I'm probably imagining that.
Old 26 April 2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
It feels like it's getting bigger, but I think I'm probably imagining that.
It might be full of baby spiders!!
Old 26 April 2017, 02:59 PM

Thank you, that makes me feel much better.
Old 26 April 2017, 03:50 PM

I believe the proper spelling is caaaaatttt!!!!
Old 26 April 2017, 05:14 PM

LOL, didn't think of that, either.

Doctor says the lump is probably a swollen lymph node brought on by the virus I've had (which was my guess). She told me to take ibuprofen and ice it, and said it might last a full week. I'm to call if it lasts much longer than that, if it gets worse, or if start having trouble swallowing.
Old 26 April 2017, 06:54 PM

Glasses

Lainie, Ferdinand's was full of fluid, and if he'd left it alone, the fluid would've been reabsorbed as the infection went away. But he's a dog, and couldn't stand the itch.

So, my enthusiasm for this costume project has finally kicked in, but I had to order some supplies before I could begin on the next foundation garment, and they won't be shipped until May 1st. I'm trying to come up with a different aspect I can work on, in order to maintain my momentum. I'm thinking I'll start to draft the bodice of the actual dress.

Oh, and I need to order my wig(s).

Seaboe
Old 26 April 2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Someone posted a wonderful gif of the clouds furiously swirling around Mt Fuji, as seen from the window of a plane. A bunch of us lousy skeptics had to point out that the clouds closest to the wings were frozen and the clouds which were moving were appearing and reappearing in exactly the same positions over and over, so it was most likely a still photo which was animated via an app and not a genuine video. But if you didn't look too closely it looks pretty darn convincing.

There's going to be a whoooooooooooole lot more faked footage on the internet thanks to apps getting smarter and better all the time.
I also noted there was no relative movement between the rear of the wing and Fuji-san.
Old 26 April 2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
London police noticed some men acting strangely and after chasing them they recovered a 13 inch blade nearby which was probably dumped by the men. A bunch of people on Facebook are making posts about how the shops that sell these blades should be shut down and the owners jailed.

That's a gardening saw. If they closed down all the shops that sold them then they'd have to close down all the nurseries and garden centres, most department stores and many many supermarkets.
Just last night I read an article on a hunting site I frequent (Australian) about this very thing. We have similar laws here, anyone carrying a knife must have some sort of valid excuse to do so, with the onus on the person to prove it. The police then decide whether to accept that rule. Chefs, tradies, fishers, etc, are usually ok.

But the "close the shops" call is rediculous. There are hundreds of legitimate reasons for a knife, and a handful of illegal ones. The owner makes the choice. You could say the same about cars.
Old 27 April 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Just last night I read an article on a hunting site I frequent (Australian) about this very thing. We have similar laws here, anyone carrying a knife must have some sort of valid excuse to do so, with the onus on the person to prove it. The police then decide whether to accept that rule. Chefs, tradies, fishers, etc, are usually ok.

But the "close the shops" call is rediculous. There are hundreds of legitimate reasons for a knife, and a handful of illegal ones. The owner makes the choice. You could say the same about cars.
I just remembered that sometimes after really big storms I'll go around the neighbourhood checking to see if there's any large branches that got blown down onto footpaths or roads that need to be cleared and a few times I've carried a pruning saw in my backpack which is pretty much exactly the same as the one in the article.
Old 27 April 2017, 01:27 PM

Icon402

Quote:

Is it too late to make the expected "That's not a knife" in a Paul Hogan voice joke?
Old 27 April 2017, 01:43 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
LOL, didn't think of that, either.

Doctor says the lump is probably a swollen lymph node brought on by the virus I've had (which was my guess). She told me to take ibuprofen and ice it, and said it might last a full week. I'm to call if it lasts much longer than that, if it gets worse, or if start having trouble swallowing.
I had this only it was a peritonsillar (peritonsilar?) abscess. Swelled up to the size of a baseball. My now-former stepmother (a doctor) took one look and sent me to the emergency room.
Old 27 April 2017, 02:48 PM

My neck lump, which I am now calling Melvin*, is slightly bigger today. I thought so when I looked in the mirror but thought maybe I was imagining it, but my boss said the same thing when she saw me. I won't call back today, but if it's bigger tomorrow I'll at least talk to the nurse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Lainie, Ferdinand's was full of fluid, and if he'd left it alone, the fluid would've been reabsorbed as the infection went away. But he's a dog, and couldn't stand the itch.
Fortunately, mine doesn't itch. It's a bit painful/uncomfortable, but the ibuprofen and ice are helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I had this only it was a peritonsillar (peritonsilar?) abscess. Swelled up to the size of a baseball. My now-former stepmother (a doctor) took one look and sent me to the emergency room.
I hadn't even considered the possibility of an abscess, but the doctor brought it up (and ruled it out). Ditto cancer, which I also hadn't even considered.
Old 28 April 2017, 12:32 AM

Spit Take

Has anyone noticed that Trump's hair and the White House chairs he photo ops in are almost a perfect match in color? It's pretty awful 'cause at least on my tv both have a very slight green tint.