snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 12 November 2016, 06:42 PM

Default Unhijackable

I'm sitting in starbucks right now waiting for my cat to be sedated for his vet appointment. I was really hoping his vet panic was a one-time event, but it looks like a calm vet visit isn't going to happen again any time soon (at least this time I was able to warn the vet. Last time, we had no idea he was going to freak out and shred her arm).

I know he's not the first cat to have vet issues, but I'm still worried. I haven't had him sedated before so I'm not sure how he's going to handle it, and I feel awful for both the vet and Spike, who apparently thinks he's about to be eaten by a scary white-coated monster.
Old 12 November 2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
I'm sitting in starbucks right now waiting for my cat to be sedated for his vet appointment. I was really hoping his vet panic was a one-time event, but it looks like a calm vet visit isn't going to happen again any time soon (at least this time I was able to warn the vet. Last time, we had no idea he was going to freak out and shred her arm).

I know he's not the first cat to have vet issues, but I'm still worried. I haven't had him sedated before so I'm not sure how he's going to handle it, and I feel awful for both the vet and Spike, who apparently thinks he's about to be eaten by a scary white-coated monster.
(Apologies if Ive asked before.) Being nosy here, does your vet use gabapentin for anxious cats? We use it fairly frequent before the cats come in and it does a really good job of taking the edge off those terrified kitties without actually sedating them and it's very safe.
Old 14 November 2016, 11:45 AM

Whalephant

I have a cold. It just started tonight at work. I have taken possession of the Kleenex box here at work and just want to go home and sleep until, say, Thanksgiving.
Old 14 November 2016, 02:25 PM

This has been a crappy few weeks in my family and my extended family and the election results just were the last straw. I can't seem to stop thinking about it. Now though I am wondering if it's because in some ways the election is not the worst thing going on in my life right now and I just can't cope with everything else so the election kind of drives the rest of it out of my head. I don't know. Is anyone else finding it hard to compartmentalize the Trump victory?
Old 14 November 2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Is anyone else finding it hard to compartmentalize the Trump victory?
Yes.

And lots and lots of characters.
Old 15 November 2016, 07:48 AM

Sue, I've been depressed since a couple days after the election; I think that's how long it took to really sink in. I go back and forth between thinking I couldn't possibly actually be having a depressive episode over politics, that surely there's something else going on--I'm working too much or not exercising enough or whatever--and thinking OF COURSE I'm depressed over this; I'd have to be an idiot not to be seriously upset that my country is on the verge of turning into Nazi Germany. I don't know. But I can't shake this heavy, awful feeling.
Old 18 November 2016, 03:41 AM

Random thought: My local public radio station is sponsored by the Warren G. Bender Company. I can't hear that name without thinking that their slogan must be "Bite my shiny metal ass."
Old 18 November 2016, 05:34 AM

Actual conversation I had today:
Receptionst: Are potatoes bad for dogs?
Me: Cooked or raw?
Receptionst: Cooked. He likes it.
Me: Well, no, cooked potato is fine. But, your dog is huge and doesn't need table scraps.
Receptionst: It wasn't a scrap, it was a whole potato.

At which point I couldn't scold him anymore cause I was laughing too hard....
Old 18 November 2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post
Actual conversation I had today:
Receptionst: Are potatoes bad for dogs?
Me: Cooked or raw?
Receptionst: Cooked. He likes it.
Me: Well, no, cooked potato is fine. But, your dog is huge and doesn't need table scraps.
Receptionst: It wasn't a scrap, it was a whole potato.

At which point I couldn't scold him anymore cause I was laughing too hard....
So are raw potatoes bad for dogs? Our Labrador used to steal them from the potato bin. We didn't realise until I caught her one day. We weren't sure if it was a regular thing but Mum did say she did some times think we had less potatoes then she thought.

Though her being a lab, that was one of the least weird things she ate.
Old 18 November 2016, 01:10 PM

A little more than a month into my new job.
I still like it, at least as much one can like an Environmental Services job. The co-workers are nice and I am slowly starting to know them better. Turns out, one of them also played Ultima Online and he just quit it 10 months ago.
Otherwise, my back is doing much better. Before I started the job, I could hardly take the dog for a walk without clenching my teeth and wondering about a future in a wheelchair. Now that pain and stiffness is almost completely gone, according to my FitBit, I am walking over 20,000 steps in those 8 hours on some days. Though it most likely counts certain movements like wiping stuff down and mopping the floor as steps.
I also lost almost 30 lbs since end of July, though there is a lot more fat that needs to come down.
Today is DW's first day back to work since she broke her elbow end of October. It's light duty, and they have her calling patients to check on them. Which also means, for the first time in a long time, I am alone at home. Though most likely I will spend that time sleeping.
Old 18 November 2016, 02:10 PM

Should I stay or should I go?

I work as a cleaner in a nursery. It's pretty revolting work - floors caked in sand, poo smeared toilets, paint smeared sinks, play dough in the carpets, food all around the bins instead of inside them (and picking up globs of meat feels even more gross when you're vegetarian), latex gloves that have been used to change nappies left on the floors, and, on one memorable occasion, tiny polystyrene balls everywhere that refused to be swept or mopped up. All this wouldn't be so bad if the job was closer to home, but I have to travel 40 minutes by bus to get there and it's outside the bus company's 'zone' so I have to buy the more expensive monthly bus pass which, at three hours a day on minimum wage, I have to work three and a half nights to earn. That's three and a half nights of work for the privilege of travelling to work. I work from half past five until half past eight at night, which accounting for travel and waiting for the bus, takes up all my evening and messes up my meal times. Oh, and if I miss the 8:40 bus home due to the conditions of the nursery being particularly bad or my bus to work being late (it often is) then I have to wait an hour for the next bus home. I've occasionally had to run to the bus stop. I've only twice missed it, fortunately.

My heart tells me to quit. I've been so unhappy since working there. My sleep habits, always bad, seem to have grown worse. I'm eating junk food late at night. I've been getting migraines too, which I haven't suffered badly from since I was a teenager.

I know I could survive for a couple of months without it, but I just don't feel secure quitting a job without having something else lined up. I could claim job seeker's allowance but they would be seriously on my case for quitting a job and I can't be having with that.

Also, it feels just a bit too - I don't know, princessy? - to quit just because it's exhausting and disgusting work. I want to be a tough person and a tough person would tough it out. I often worry that I don't know how to adult, so maybe putting up with this is proof that I'm a responsible adult? I've been training to be a teaching assistant and I think I'll finish the course by January. But who knows how long it will take to find employment as a teaching assistant even after I'm qualified? I can't stand the thought of working here until next September.

Do I follow my heart or follow my head? I suspect the answer is 'only I know that' but I seem to reach a different decision every day!

Last edited by Blatherskite; 18 November 2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 18 November 2016, 02:47 PM

Blatherskite, as an American where unemployment rules are very different, you should stay, but as a human, if you can get out and get something else, do that.

Years ago, we were having some friends over to dinner with chicken and baked potatoes. Suddenly our semi-wild cat jumped onto the table, ran to my sister-in-law's plate, grabbed the largest thing should could and ran off with it. I felt bad chasing after her to take it away from her since...well, she had the potato, not the chicken. I considered letting her have it and realizing she didn't care for potato.
Old 18 November 2016, 04:27 PM

I'm watching a Christmas movie and it's getting me angry. I mean seriously this family is well to do, live in a gorgeous house and yet each kid gets exactly one present for Christmas and even with that they somehow forgot to buy the middle kid a gift. Because they're so gosh darn busy and all. On top of that no matter what happens the middle kid gets the blame - even when he couldn't possibly be at fault. Again, seriously? But the movie is a groundhog day type movie where the middle kid keeps repeating the day until it goes right. Basically the point of it going right seems to be that the middle kid learns to understand why his parents are jerks and loves them anyway. I watch Christmas movies for the feel good factor not to get this irritated.
Old 18 November 2016, 09:26 PM

Blatherskite, first I need to know if you can lodge a complaint with some higher ups. While some of the mess is due to the kids, I also feel that a lot of it is due to the caregivers not giving a NFBSK (Latex gloves on the floors, poo smeared toilets).
If there isn't, or the higher ups do not give a hoot since you are "only a cleaner and it's your job", then I would suggest to quit. Working minimum wage and the long bus ride (not to forget the expensive fare) is in my opinion not worth it.
And I say that as someone who worked more or less his whole adult life as cleaner and who had some pretty disgusting jobs to do (cleaning up after 200 drunk students or in a hospital where patients sometimes don't quite make it to the bedside commode).
Old 19 November 2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Also, it feels just a bit too - I don't know, princessy? - to quit just because it's exhausting and disgusting work. I want to be a tough person and a tough person would tough it out.
Well, it seems to me that this job has other issues for you beyond just being gross. Your whole commute situation isn't really tenable in my eyes, and that's reason enough to find something else.

There's nothing wrong with discovering that there's some aspect of a job you don't like, and looking for something else. Particularly as you're training for a completely different job - these are going to be temporary positions till that's through and you get placed. You may as well be happy with it, which will help with your studies.
Old 19 November 2016, 01:58 PM

Looking for something else is important, as is discussing the issues with your supervisor(s). In your position, I might also couch it as concern about children being cared for in filthy conditions--because it's not like it got that way in the half hour right before you showed up. Gloves shouldn't be left on the floor, for the sake of the kids. Toilets shouldn't be clearly smeared with feces, for the sake of the kids. Food shouldn't be left rotting in the floor, for the sake of the kids.

In your position, I would have stuck it out. That's not because sticking it out would have been best for me, but because quitting would have made me feel too bad. So only you know what the least bad option is. But if this job is keeping you from looking for the job you want, or even just a better/closer temporary job, that's worth considering, too.
Old 21 November 2016, 12:58 AM

My drains backed up this morning and my drain guy is off hunting.

When I went to leave the house, my car had a flat tire. So I moved it out of the way and took the Jag. About 20 minutes into my shopping trip, after my first stop, the Jag broke down.

So I got almost nothing accomplished on my long list of things to do and now I have to call the drain guy, take the Camry to get the tire repaired and call road service to have the Jag towed tomorrow morning.
Old 21 November 2016, 01:45 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Should I stay or should I go?

My heart tells me to quit. I've been so unhappy since working there. My sleep habits, always bad, seem to have grown worse. I'm eating junk food late at night. I've been getting migraines too, which I haven't suffered badly from since I was a teenager.
That's not your heart there Blatherskite, that's your body. Speaking as someone who left a position on stress leave, and who has worked with others who have done so, we discount body signals too readily and interpret them as signs of weakness when they are really warning signs.

I mean, we don't do that with bridges. "Oh that old bridge is creaking loudly when heavy trucks go over it, and the support beams seem to be bending. Silly bridge it just needs to have the right attitude".

We all have rough patches and get stressed and can put into place temporary solutions - short periods of leave, support from friends and family, pills, extra rest, counselling etc. But all of us having tipping points at which stage the temporary solutions won't work and we need to pull out. That is not a heart/head discussion but rather a evaluation exercise that says I have X stressors which I can, using my resources, ameliorate for Y period safely. Therefore, if there is no change, I need to leave at the end of Y period or my health and wellbeing will be affected.

And that's a personal assessment - some people will be able to deal with X stressors longer than you, others will be less.

You've stated that you can't see it out till next September so when, considering the facts before you, can you see it out till? Can you make a plan like: I can pull in enough supports and coping strategies to get till April (say) and will save like the blazes during that period to help me afterwards?

If you can't actually make that decision at all the I'd suggest respectfully that that might be a significant stress sign as well. When I went out on stress I couldn't make the decision until I grabbed one of the senior workers and got them to say it was reasonable - I'd so lost sight of what was a problem that I needed validation from others - permission basically. If that is the case for you then I suggest you see if there is some free counselling available somewhere to talk it through.

Dropbear