snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 29 March 2016, 03:49 AM

Default Author and Cal grad Beverly Cleary nears 100 years old: 'I didnít do it on purpose'

Beverly Cleary, one of the most popular children's author ever with her revered "Ramona Quimby" series, is preparing to turn 100 years old this April 12.

The writer graduated from Cal Berkeley with a bachelor's degree in English in 1938, and has since gone on to inspire readers and authors of all generations to follow, including the also widely lauded Judy Blume, a woman who says Cleary "was my inspiration" and "still is."

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/A...-I-7213595.php

What an amazing woman! The first chapter book I remember reading was a Henry Huggins books that an aunt gave me. Years later I read my own children the Ramona books and they got hooked on Beverly Cleary too (well until they discovered Harry Potter).

So nice to post something about a favourite, but elderly, writer and not be a RIP thread .
Old 29 March 2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
So nice to post something about a favourite, but elderly, writer and not be a RIP thread .
And nice to read such a thread. My grandmother, now 95, is getting tired of reading about all the young'uns passing away.

Really interesting to read how she's an inspiration for Judy Blume. Both of them had me going back to the library for more.
Old 29 March 2016, 02:13 PM

Glasses

My brother's dog's name is Henry because of Henry Huggins.

The first volume of her autobiography (A Girl from Yamhill) is really good (I haven't read the second volume yet ).

Seaboe