snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 04 November 2016, 01:56 AM

Missed the edit window.

"1944: 18 year olds storm the beach of Normandy into almost certain death.
2016: 18 year olds need a safe place because words hurt their feelings."

1. No disrespect to any of the folks who served in our military, but I'm pretty sure in 1944 a lot of them would rather have been basically anywhere else, and were, you know, drafted. Which was horrible and that's why our country stopped the draft. Many went along with what they had to do because it would have been illegal to do otherwise. Were they brave to still do so? Of course. But it's not like they were all sitting around bored looking for some heads to blow open just to show how eats-nails-for-breakfast tough they were.

2. Yes, the vocal minority of tumblrites certainly represents the entire generation. There are definitely no tough kids now, not a single one, and there definitely weren't any wimpy kids back then, nope, purely a generational distribution.

My initial two thoughts upon seeing the post: "Go **** yourself," and then, "Wait, I'm only friends with you because we had a class in college together 7 years ago! *Defriend!*"
Old 04 November 2016, 02:02 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
...But it's not like they were all sitting around bored looking for some heads to blow open just to show how eats-nails-for-breakfast tough they were....
I'm not sure what you are trying to describe by this. Is that your description of a truly brave person?
Old 04 November 2016, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I'm not sure what you are trying to describe by this. Is that your description of a truly brave person?
No. Sorry, I'm a bit disjointed because I"m tired and shouldn't be reading facebook at night. That was meant to be a sarcastic hyperbole of the meme poster's vision of WWII servicemen.

I'm mostly just sick of reading people s****ing on my generation and the teens that immediately follow mine. Especially when the people s****ing on us are people who are, at most, maybe 5 years older than me. It's, in my opinion, the generational equivalent of "I'm not like other girls."

People are people. People are scared now, they were scared then, they were brave then, they're brave now. People share their feelings more now because we have more lines of communicaiton through which to do that, and because we've learned it's, for the most part, healthier to share than try to bottle things up in the name of being stoic and stalwart. If people in the 40's had had cell phones like we have now, people in the 40's would have been taking selfies like we do now. If they had had widely available fast food then, they would have eaten it like we do now. Et cetera. People are people. You can't put another generation on a pedestal because they avoided vices and behaviors that they didn't even have the option to do.

And now I'm all wound up and annoyed about this and am going to have a heck of a time going to sleep.
Old 04 November 2016, 04:22 AM

Mouse

I get tired of all the Millennial rants, because most of them are written by Baby Boomers, aka the generation that produced us. If the Millennials are really as spoiled and entitled and awful as they claim, wouldn't that reflect badly on the generation, aka the Baby Boomers, that raised us?

But then again, the generational thing is kind of insane when you think about it. The Millennial generation is defined as encompassing 1985-2005. Since I was born May 1985 that puts me on the cusp of it. Thing is, I remember the Bill Clinton presidency and its assorted scandals, the Oklahoma City Bombing, dial-up, and I was a junior in High School English when I heard about 9/11. Yet the definition lumps me in with people who weren't even born when some of that stuff happened.

Heck, I think the Baby Boomer definition is overly broad too. Baby Boomers have been defined as being from 1946-1964, so both of my parents, my mom (b. 1953) and my dad (b. 1960) qualify. But my mom heard about the JFK assassination while on her elementary school playground, while my dad...given that his birthday is in December, he probably was barely toilet-trained and certainly doesn't have any memory of where he was that day.

In fact, the events that really define the Baby Boomer generation--Vietnam, Watergate, etc.--were mostly resolved as my dad was entering puberty. Whereas, my mom can remember hearing about Watergate and being thankful that she, in her first election, voted for McGovern.

So like I keep saying, high on my list of priorities if I ever conquer the world, is no more generational articles. They never provide any new insight, they can all be summed up as "Younger Generation Enjoys Using Tech Invented By Older Generation and is Often Immature and Stupid," and all in all, they just provide welfare for lazy journalists and that's a form of welfare I can't get behind.
Old 04 November 2016, 04:36 AM

In general, each generation is raised by the one before. Millennials were largely raised by Generation X. That's also why they are grouped in 20 year increments. The years are just general guidelines that started with the Baby boom. Baby boomers begat Gen X which begat Gen Y (aka Millennials).

As a Gen Xer myself, I've never really understood how much venom gets spewed at the Baby Boomers. While Millennials self identify more than any other generation I've witnessed.

I find Millennials are far more likely, IME, to brag about some statistic on their generation, but then turn around and get livid when someone brings up a statistic they see as negative. Maybe its because I have a lot of friends who are Millennials, but I hear far more Millennials about generations then I hear ranting about Millennials.
Old 04 November 2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Heck, I think the Baby Boomer definition is overly broad too. Baby Boomers have been defined as being from 1946-1964....
The "Baby Boomer" definition is an actual demographic phenomenon, though. It wasn't defined on the basis of some nonsensical pseudo-sociological set of characteristics; it was defined on the basis of a statistically-significant increase in the birth rate following WW2. (Some graphs from Wikipedia).

The problem comes with trying to define the children of the people born during the post-WW2 baby boom as some sort of meaningful "Generation X". That in itself wouldn't be bad but it clearly doesn't correspond to an exact set of years - the baby boom itself lasted nearly 20 years so the first children of the people born in 1946 probably arrived during the "baby boom" itself, if you define it by years. And clearly people born during those years aren't all going to have children at the same age, either, so you can't make generalisations based on when their children were born.

I don't think "Generation X" has any sort of validity at all. It seemed to be popularised as a term by Douglas Coupland in the title of his first novel! It's not actually a real thing.

Never mind trying to define the children of Generation X as a distinct generation in their own right, either. The only possible way to define that would be to ask if your grandparents were born during the (statistically-defined) post-war baby boom in your country. Maybe they were, but so what?
Old 04 November 2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I find Millennials are far more likely, IME, to brag about some statistic on their generation, but then turn around and get livid when someone brings up a statistic they see as negative. Maybe its because I have a lot of friends who are Millennials, but I hear far more Millennials about generations then I hear ranting about Millennials.
I guess MMV on this topic, I've seen scores of "Baby Boomers! We survived X, Y, Z, unlike pampered kids today!" type compilations going back to the days of email forward chains. I don't consider "You know you're a 90s kid when..." type stuff to be bragging when it's mostly just "We played with this toy! And watched this movie! And remember this theme song to this show that was on in 1995!" And I can only remember seeing one pro-Millennial article, the rest are mostly reactionary articles to the articles about how lazy and entitled we are. And I'm sure I have as many or more friends who are Millennials as you do so it must be just the particular people we surround with.

(fwiw, I only hear anti-Baby Boomer statements also in reaction to anti-Millennial statements. Not that that's necessarily an okay thing to do, but most of it is then stuff like what Mouse said about "Weren't you the generation that raised us?" rather than calling them out for a perceived flaw)

Another thing to consider is that you might be hearing more pro-millennial stuff from millennials because the latter are more likely to be using the type of social media (even things just as simple as blogs) than people who are now coming up on 70. (who were more likely to be writing/passing around all those email forwards I remember, and who are still likely to be the ones writing & writing the newspaper articles).
Old 04 November 2016, 12:31 PM

Bang Head

AMEN MOUSE!!!!
Demographically, I qualify as a Baby Boomer--I guess--but I really don't identify as a one. I was in utero when Kennedy was assassinated, barely remember the first moon landing, and did remember hearing about Watergate, but I really did not know what it was about until I got older.
I'm really sick of all the Millennial bashing too--like every other generation, there are slackers, angels, devils, do-gooders, losers, low-lifes, etc. that age group.
Old 04 November 2016, 12:40 PM

One of my closest friends, an honorary aunt to my daughter, posted an insulting meme about millennials -- they're disrespectful, lazy, etc. etc. I replied "I had no idea you felt that way about your niece."
Old 04 November 2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I guess MMV on this topic, I've seen scores of "Baby Boomers! We survived X, Y, Z, unlike pampered kids today!" type compilations [ . . . ]

(fwiw, I only hear anti-Baby Boomer statements also in reaction to anti-Millennial statements.
S'okay, we heard lots and lots of "pampered kids today!" said about baby boomers when we were in our teens and twenties. You're not hearing them now because now we're getting our senior citizen discounts (though there are still some people determinedly claiming everything wrong with the country is due to what happened in "the sixties". Of course they tend to have different definitions of "wrong" than I do.)

Some people in every generation seem to spew this about whatever generation is next up. And some people in the generation-next-up spew it back. Often it's the exact same wording.

(And I agree that, while there are demographic reasons for the twenty-year business, lumping in together people born over that span is as silly as lumping in together people over all sorts of other criteria. Not only are some of those people effectively adults while others are infants, but in rapidly changing times their cultural experiences can be quite different.)
Old 04 November 2016, 01:18 PM

Icon220

^ Big ol' 80s hair...

I'm technically a Generation-Xer, I suppose, born in 1969, but I'm about 10 years older than most other people who fall into that category. Forget a 20 year difference, even those 10 years is a big difference. Too young to be a Baby Boomer, too old to be a Gen-Xer.

A term thrown around in the 80s when I was a teenager was the "Me Generation." I guess that's... me... ?
Old 04 November 2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:

I'm mostly just sick of reading people s****ing on my generation and the teens that immediately follow mine. Especially when the people s****ing on us are people who are, at most, maybe 5 years older than me. It's, in my opinion, the generational equivalent of "I'm not like other girls."
I've noticed this a lot too. Noticed it when I was your age as well. I always put it down to the sour grapes attitude of the oldest child who had to fight for every privilege and then sees the youngest member of the family "getting away with murder". Most of those with that attitude outgrow it in time - the rest become conservative politicians .

Quote:
In general, each generation is raised by the one before. Millennials were largely raised by Generation X. That's also why they are grouped in 20 year increments. The years are just general guidelines that started with the Baby boom. Baby boomers begat Gen X which begat Gen Y (aka Millennials).
That's why I find it odd that there is so much bashing of baby boomers by Millennials - so much "stop picking on us Mom and Dad". They talk as if the baby boomers are, for the most part the parents of Millennials but that's not really very accurate even allowing for tail end boomers having kids at a later age.

Last edited by Sue; 04 November 2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04 November 2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I replied "I had no idea you felt that way about your niece."
I've used similar retorts. It usually results in a "well, I was talking about other people..."

My most common response to the "kids today are spoiled, wimpy little babies" is "yeah. Who raised these snotty little brats. Oh, yeah. We did."

Few people have a retort for me. They usually just look at me and then at the floor.

"Photo "And I wonder why I have no friends" Bob
Old 04 November 2016, 02:20 PM

Icon204

Quote:

2. Yes, the vocal minority of tumblrites certainly represents the entire generation.
I don't think even the vocal minority of tumblrites are to blame.

I think words like 'safe space' have just been grossly misconstrued based on what people think they probably mean due to preexisting attitudes towards the kind of people they think use words like 'safe space'.

I have never, in all my SJW career (it doesn't pay, but all the delicious outrage is a perk), seen somebody use 'safe space' the way the naysayers suggest it's used. Not by a minority, not by anybody. The vocal minority doesn't seem to be that vocal, after all. In fact they're suspiciously silent and invisible. It's almost like they're not there and there's no evidence at all that there's a widespread problem of whiny college students demanding safe spaces for their hurt feelings.

It's the razor blade in the candy floss. It's the mad axe murderer who was in the back seat of the car the whole time. It's the bogeyman under the beds of people who mistrust activism and/or young people.

Social progress always marches on and each generation has, on average, slightly different attitudes than the people before. It's always happened and it always will, no matter how much you want people to shut up and put up with the things they disagree with. Like some old Nobel prize winner said: don't stand in the door way, don't block up the hall.
Old 04 November 2016, 04:35 PM

I recently saw this in the newspaper and it sums up today's youth:

Quote:
"Thirty years ago," remarked Magistrate Brodie, "young boys were never seen in court." "Yes" replies John Yatchew, lawyer, "but we must remember that in those days punishment was provided at home and in school." "And now," adds the magistrate, "a teacher does not dare raise a hand to a pupil or there will be complaints from indignant parents. Perhaps they prefer to see their children here." An illuminating debate on the trend of the times.
Oh, I almost forgot - the article is from 1936. So, yeah, poor behavior just started recently.

I have replied to these types of FB posts with, "You know you are getting old when you complain about young people".
Old 04 November 2016, 05:15 PM

These kids! I tell them they can have whatever they want, just stay away from that one blasted tree. So what to you think they do?!!!

-G'd, c. The Beginning
Old 04 November 2016, 05:15 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post

I have replied to these types of FB posts with, "You know you are getting old when you complain about young people".

And that's a part of getting old that I do not want any part of. If I complain about someone, it's because that someone is being a jerk or whatever--I don't care about age. Although seeing a young child use a phone really creeps me out. I know it's crazy but it does. I tell myself that cell phones weren't around when I was that age but they are now, so of course kids will use them you biddy!
I really don't want to be one of those get off my lawn! types.
Old 04 November 2016, 05:41 PM

All one need do is listen to songs from the fifties and sixties to hear how much kids have changed.

ye Bye Birdie was on Broadway 1960-61 and became a movie in 1963.

Quote:
Kids, I don't know what's wrong with these kids today
Kids, who can understand anything they say?
Kids, they are disobedient, disrespectful oafs
Noisy, crazy, sloppy, lazy, loafers
And while we're on the subject

Kids, you can talk and talk till your face is blue
Kids, but they still do just what they want to do
Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids today?
Read more at http://www.songlyrics.com/bye-bye-bi...jKlcMbtQ7PR.99
Photo "Yeah, this song is on my I-Pod, you got a problem with that?" Bob
Old 04 November 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I really don't want to be one of those get off my lawn! types.
This is something I'm genuinely worried about. Will I notice it happening to me, if it does? Will I be able to catch myself and re-evaluate the situation or will I just get stuck in the quicksand of nostalgia and negativity and never even know I'm sinking? If I find I just don't understand modern attitudes, will I at least have the good sense not to stand in the doorway and block up the hall?

I can already see myself not 'getting' a lot of modern music, fashion and media. I use an mp3 player rather than streaming music on my phone. I don't do Twitter. I think a lot of modern fashions look silly (but then, I think I always thought that). But I just hope I never have the animosity toward younger people that I see in a lot of older people. I never want to be the old ladies I overheard on the bus bellyaching about how people these days have no manners and don't care about anybody else. What a terrible place to be inside your own head.

What really bugs me is people in their 20s and 30s who are premature cane-wavers telling the young 'uns to get off their lawn. I can understand it more if it's age-related and people tend to become more depressive and doom-thinking as they get older (I'm not sure if this is even true, but it would explain a lot). But for somebody who is in their prime to think so badly of everybody who is younger than them suggests they attribute all that's good in them to the time of their upbringing, and that's just sad. They'll probably only get worse.

I hate to say it (partly because it looks a lot like that quicksand I was talking about) but I fear these 'You know you're a 90s kid if...' memes make things worse. On the plus side they're just a bit of fun to provide fond memories for things you may not have recalled otherwise (using a pencil to reel in cassette tape! OMG!) but on the nasty side they help foster and us-versus-them mentality between generations.
Old 05 November 2016, 01:01 AM

Mouse

Quote:

(fwiw, I only hear anti-Baby Boomer statements also in reaction to anti-Millennial statements. Not that that's necessarily an okay thing to do, but most of it is then stuff like what Mouse said about "Weren't you the generation that raised us?" rather than calling them out for a perceived flaw)
As a general rule, if the Boomers are going to endlessly talk about how me and all my peers are bunch of spoiled crybabies, I'm going to be like, "Didn't you raise us and create most of the technology that Millennials are hopelessly addicted to?" Because so much of it reeks of bullying: the generation currently in power, picking on those who are reeling from the consequences of their mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
That's why I find it odd that there is so much bashing of baby boomers by Millennials - so much "stop picking on us Mom and Dad". They talk as if the baby boomers are, for the most part the parents of Millennials but that's not really very accurate even allowing for tail end boomers having kids at a later age.
Uh, as said in my previous posts, both my parents qualify as Baby Boomers, so it's not like it's impossible for there to be a Millennial raised by Baby Boomers.

And again, Baby Boomers are currently the generation occupying most of the corridors of power, so they really shouldn't be too shocked, shocked that the generation they're dumping on, might decide to criticize them back.

Though as of late, I've honestly wondered how many of the world's problems could be solved if we all coordinated and put together a schedule so there was, at all times, a young whippersnapper standing on some Old Fart's lawn. The Old Farts would be too busy yelling and screaming until they gave themselves coronaries, and everybody else can take advantage of them being distracted to get stuff done, get a government that does more than kill brown people and keep women from getting necessary health care.