snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 14 August 2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Are you Bubbles, Blossom, or Buttercup?
I was expecting that one to come up. The first time I saw "Powder Puff Girls" I thought "What did they just say?" I am Buttercup.

From my memory of Primary school history class it was named after Sir Robert Towns who was a surveyor. I think.
Old 14 August 2016, 11:10 AM

I also do wonder if someone involved in "Powder Puff Girls" heard of or visited Townsville and the whole thing amused them.

You don't really think about the name of your home town when you are growing up. But when I did work out what the ville part of the name refered to and that is was offically a city, the whole thing did amuse me. I was proberly around 10.
Old 29 January 2017, 07:22 AM

Last Monday I went to Brisbane Bookfest Brisbane biggest second-hand book sale. I got a bit mixed up about the date this was on and got there 10 days after it started, so if there was any order to the way the books were arranged at the beginning there was none by the time I got there. There was a big collection of "Fifty Shades" (about 20 but I didn't bother to count) all together and apparently untouched.

Oh look, triple post. But on different dates, so hey....
Old 29 January 2017, 01:49 PM

I wonder with the new movie coming out if there will be a resurgence of interest in the books? Or do the people who go to these kinds of movies want to read the books.
Old 30 January 2017, 08:50 AM

I am not sure, Sue. I am wondering how the successful the movie will be as I think the "50 Shades" crazy has passed.

As Seaboe said I am sure it happens to many best sellers. I few years ago when I went to bookfest I wanted to replace a few of my paperback Harry Potters with hardcovers and get myself a copy of the last one which I had never bought, instead borrowing it from my cousin (I was unemployed and couldn't justify buying it) I mentioned this to my workmate and she said that there were plenty there when she went there. But by the time I got there, I could find none. Not saying there were none to find but just that I could find none.