snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > War, What Is It Good For?

Old 22 March 2016, 01:01 PM

Default Deadly explosions rock Brussels airport, subway

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/reported...rt-in-belgium/

Quote:
Bombs tore through the main airport for the Belgian capital and a subway station in central Brussels on Tuesday, a day after authorities said a suspect in the Nov. 13, 2015 Paris terror attacks -- possibly the bomb-maker -- was likely loose in the city.

At least 26 people were killed in what Belgian federal prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw said were "terrorist attacks" in the city, which has been on high alert since the Paris carnage last year.

U.S. officials told CBS News they believed Americans had been injured in the blasts, but there was no confirmation on the number or condition of the casualties, and the State Department was still trying to track down families.
Yet again I'm stuck in a waiting loop with my friend out there. Yep, the same one who I worried about in Paris - she's actually from Belgium and goes back a lot since she's in school. I sent her a line on Twitter, as emergency services said this was fine.

Last edited by Rebochan; 22 March 2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 22 March 2016, 04:38 PM

Icon06

I contacted my good Belgian friend in Brussels. He lives a five minute drive from the airport in Vilvoorde. I did not think he would have been in danger, as he would have been working today and he does not take the metro, but I wanted to make sure he and his family were safe.

And they are.

I'm a bit hurting right now as I was at that airport and metro station just three weeks ago and I saw plenty of people who would possibly be there today. It is too terribly sad.

ISIL has claimed responsibility. I see ISIL fighting on a regular basis in Syria. I'm finding it very hard to be impartial at this time. I just want all the violence to end.
Old 22 March 2016, 04:42 PM

Canada

I know you are a peacekeeper, UEL, but are you supposed to be impartial - in your own head I mean? I can't imagine how that would be possible in so many of the situations are peacekeepers have been in over the years!
Old 22 March 2016, 04:56 PM

I am wondering if this attack is directly related to the arrest of the Paris terrorist (as in still-living member of the December attack group). Could some other ISIS trained people in Belgium have decided to launch an attack rather than wait to be arrested?
The loss of life and the injuries make me sick. Attacking soft targets is easy, there are people gathered together almost anywhere in transit areas, shopping areas, schools, and hospitals. We cannot surround all of them with guards, and even if we did, there would be other places to go to detonate bombs and kill and maim.

Ali
Old 22 March 2016, 05:24 PM

Default Donald Trump Calls Brussels a “Horrible City" After It’s Attacked by Terrorists

Following Tuesday's deadly attacks in Brussels, Donald Trump, the Republican presidential front-runner, knocked off a quick succession of TV interviews in which his talking points evolved, enlarged, doubled back on themselves, and generally seemed of a piece with the candidate's improvised foreign-policy platform of being terrified of Muslims. The note he returned to again and again was that Belgium's capital was a “horrible city” brought low by Muslim immigration. He also endorsed the use of torture (again), flip-flopped on whether he would shut down the border were he president today, and warned that a similar violence was coming to the U.S.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...errorists.html
Old 22 March 2016, 05:47 PM

Icon215

As a member of the "Baby Boomer" generation, I grew up with the notion that World War III would be a nuclear holocaust.

I am now seriously wondering if WWIII is actually terrorists attacking civilian targets, with counter-strikes against the terrorists consisting of detective work and tracking down and arresting or killing a handful of terrorists.

BW
Old 22 March 2016, 06:13 PM

Good news, I reached my friend, she's safe and so is her family, she was still waiting to hear from some other people.

I also realized after I posted that a close friend here in Melbourne, FL has family in Brussels (they work for NATO), but they too are safe. They just returned from a trip here to America and were at the airport about two days ago.
Old 22 March 2016, 08:05 PM

Happy to hear that, Rebochan.

Out of curiosity and for future reference, I heard on the radio that Facebook is activating its "safety check feature." Would that have helped you? It also occurred to me that the people in the area would need to be able to access their FB account for this to work.
Old 22 March 2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
The note he returned to again and again was that Belgium's capital was a “horrible city” brought low by Muslim immigration.
To be fair, he's not the first to have bad feelings about (probably) Brussels:

"I found myself back in the sepulchral city resenting the sight of people hurrying through the streets to filch a little money from each other, to devour their infamous cookery, to gulp their unwholesome beer, to dream their insignificant and silly dreams."

What are the odds he was channeling Conrad? I guess ISIS ain't too fond of it either...

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to listening to The Final Cut (album) on a playback loop. The Postwar Dream and The Gunner's Dream come to mind, but then they always do.
Old 22 March 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Out of curiosity and for future reference, I heard on the radio that Facebook is activating its "safety check feature." Would that have helped you?
In this particular case, no, because I don't have her Facebook information and she's frankly more likely to check Twitter anyway. I have seen other friends make use of it during some more recent emergencies though.

Quote:
It also occurred to me that the people in the area would need to be able to access their FB account for this to work.
It's a lot less intensive on cell services to either grab a WiFi network or quickly access your data to send a short "I'm okay", and it's not that hard for people to do it in an emergency situation once they're secure. Frankly, if someone isn't in a situation to do that, they're not really going to have any other methods of communication either. Actually using phone lines, cell or landline, is very unreliable in an emergency and the networks go down frequently. Text messaging is also good, but I don't have her phone number anyway.
Old 22 March 2016, 11:51 PM

Default Social media users denounce #StopIslam trend after attack

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/22/world/...rpt/index.html

Quote:
Before ISIS took credit for the explosions that killed dozens and injured more than 170 people in Brussels on Tuesday, the hashtag #StopIslam started trending worldwide on social media.

Thousands of comments about Islam flooded Twitter as people spoke about the attacks that struck the Belgian capital. More than 200,000 tweets mentioned #StopIslam in the past 12 hours, according to Wayin, a social intelligence company.

The spread of #StopIslam mirrors a similar phenomenon that happened after the November 13 attacks in Paris, according to computational researchers. After the Paris attacks, millions of tweets flooded the social platform within the first few hours, and one of the trending topics was a debate over whether there is an association between Islam and terrorism.

Researchers from the University of Washington and Qatar Computing Research Institute pored over more than 8 million tweets associated to the Paris attacks, analyzing the sentiment behind the social conversation. "Our findings show that the majority of the tweets were in fact defending Muslims and absolving them from responsibility for the attacks," the report says.
Meanwhile, Breitbart is accusing Twitter of censoring the hashtag They are not the first group of idiots to not understand how trending algorithms work.
Old 24 March 2016, 10:41 AM

Default Man arrested over 'mealy mouthed' Brussels tweet

Quote:
A man has been arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred after allegedly posting a tweet in response to the Brussels attacks.

The tweet read: "I confronted a Muslim woman yesterday in Croydon. I asked her to explain Brussels. She said 'Nothing to do with me'. A mealy mouthed reply."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35888748

I can understand people being arrested, or at least investigated, for social media responses which actively support the attacks or advocate more attacks, but is this such a response? (I know the article does say that there may have been other statements on social media which led to the arrest, but why haven't we been told this?)
Old 24 March 2016, 01:30 PM

Maybe it has more to do with this person "confronting" a random Muslim woman about something she had nothing to do with? (And then, perhaps, continuing to confront her after her reply?)
Old 24 March 2016, 02:55 PM

From Andrew's link:

Quote:
Police would not confirm whether the arrest relates to the tweet which went viral or to other statements on social media posted by the same user.
Old 24 March 2016, 03:06 PM

Even if we buy the premise that Muslims everywhere are required to condemn every action by any other Muslim, I'm pretty sure the last person that ISIS is going to listen to would be a Muslim woman who talks to strange men in public.