snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 22 January 2016, 04:26 PM

Hello Kitty Why Do Cats Miaow? - Cats Uncovered - BBC

Quote:
Dr John Bradshaw explains why pet cats constantly miaow at their owners. Taken from Cats Uncovered.
Old 22 January 2016, 05:30 PM

To sum up what the doctor said, because you are not feeding, playing, petting, scratching, adoring, or ignoring them RIGHT NOW!
Old 22 January 2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
To sum up what the doctor said, because you are not feeding, playing, petting, scratching, adoring, or ignoring them RIGHT NOW!
And as a human, you're too stupid to understand anything other than a blatant vocal cue. I didn't watch the video but my understanding is that most cats don't meow to other cats and I occasionally have clients who think their cat is broken because it doesn't talk. Neither of mine talk much. Kuromi will mew a little at times and Loki makes this teeny tiny high pitched squeak if I'm not being fast enough with his cat food.
Old 22 January 2016, 05:48 PM

What about cats who are extremely vocal, even when they're not directly interacting with humans? Our Hammy gives what we sarcastically call "concerts" while we're trying to sleep. Does he want attention? He doesn't jump on the bed and try to wake us -- most of the time he's not even in the same room. He's done it as long as we've had him, and he's never had any health problems.
Old 22 January 2016, 05:57 PM

Mama cat: Give me back my kitten!

-- Yup. The kind of meow they're describing is a sound made by cats to attract the attention of a human.

Works, too . . .

They left out, however, the meow I've heard tomcats make, which appears to me to translate into "Anybody in heat in this household? Anybody in heat, here I am! How about anybody who would like to come into heat?" -- Most of them aren't trying to talk to a human, because if I try to talk to them, they disappear.

That call does, admittedly, have a different sort of sound to it than "Feed me! Pat me! Open the door!"

ETA: Lainie, as Hammy does it mostly when you're in a different room: he may be saying "Here I am! Here I am! Why don't you answer to tell me where you are?" Or, if you're trying to sleep, it may be "Wake up! Wake up and come out here with me!"

-- or maybe he just likes the sound of his own voice. I dunno, I'm not in his head.
Old 22 January 2016, 06:04 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post
And as a human, you're too stupid to understand anything other than a blatant vocal cue.
Seriously though, I don't think that it is that we are too stupid, but too soft-hearted. As the video says, kittens stop using it with their mother (and presumably other cats too) because it quits working. But since we continue to respond to it, they will continue to use it.
Old 22 January 2016, 06:22 PM

Serenity's meow-er is mostly broken. She often does the silent meow...the mouth opens and nothing comes out. You know she is REALLY trying to get your attention when you can hear it. But her purr-er is fully functioning. I can often hear her in the living room from the bedroom on on the far side of the apartment.

Most of the time, she physically works on getting your attention. Bashing into you, licking toes, smacking you with her tail, poking with a paw and staring (the last 2 are her favourites in the morning when I'm slow at getting up to feed her).
Old 22 January 2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post
clients who think their cat is broken
Geez, what are these children of technology coming to, using a phrase like this
to refer to animals? Grmble, get off my lawn.
Old 22 January 2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
She often does the silent meow...the mouth opens and nothing comes out. You know she is REALLY trying to get your attention when you can hear it. [ . . . ]
Most of the time, she physically works on getting your attention. Bashing into you, licking toes, smacking you with her tail, poking with a paw and staring .
A thing I didn't find out until a few years ago: The "silent meow" probably isn't silent to the cat. Cats have a wider hearing range than humans, and some of them don't realize that we can't hear them unless they meow in the lower frequencies of their range. (I don't know whether most of them do figure this out, or whether they just think we respond better to lower tones. Of course, some people respond well to the silent meow, if they can see it.) -- She might be batting at you physically because she thinks you're ignoring something entirely audible to her.
Old 23 January 2016, 03:58 AM

Long ago I had a wonderful cat named Kittyhawk, who I suspected was born feral, since she didn't care too much about meowing or being petted, though she did seem to enjoy human company, and loved watching our antics. I always found it sad that she also never, ever purred unless she was frightened. She'd purr up a storm when she was sitting on the table at the vet's, but that was it.

They didn't address it in the above clip, but Kittyhawk's behavior always made me wonder if purring was also a learned response, to make humans do what kitty wants.
Old 23 January 2016, 04:34 AM

Are you sure she actually wasn't purring, rather than just purring really quietly?

I ask because I know a few people who claimed that they had cats that didn't purr but it turned out that their cats did purr, but it was just too quiet for them to hear it.
Old 23 January 2016, 05:09 AM

Squiggle will wander through the house meowing plaintively when he can't find his sister.
Old 23 January 2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Are you sure she actually wasn't purring, rather than just purring really quietly?

I ask because I know a few people who claimed that they had cats that didn't purr but it turned out that their cats did purr, but it was just too quiet for them to hear it.
Nope. I'd even pick her up and hold her to my ear. No purring at all. But her scared purring was very loud and oddly beautiful. I always thought it was a shame that I hardly ever got to hear it.
Old 23 January 2016, 06:35 AM

Mouse

I just assumed, to borrow my mother's joke, that cats aren't actually going, "meow," but "me now." They just have trouble pronouncing the letter n so it comes out as meow.
Old 23 January 2016, 03:02 PM

Mouse, sometimes what's being said is "Me - out!"

(shortly after, of course, followed by "Me-in"; but that doesn't work as well with the sound.)
Old 23 January 2016, 05:31 PM

Toulouse said "Matt Lauer" once. It was a weekday morning, so I told DD to turn on the Today show for him.
Old 24 January 2016, 05:06 PM

Bonsai Kitten

I had a cat named Skunk that liked to walk around the house and just talk to himself. He did it any time of day and just seemed to do it to hear himself talk. We think he was part Siamese.
Old 24 January 2016, 05:14 PM

Actual conversation between Hammy and me, his first night in our place:

Hammy?
Mrrrooo?
Are you just walking around the house talking to yourself.
Mroop
Okay. . . just keep it down
Mrrroo