snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Old 27 May 2007, 04:27 AM

Blow Your Top Smoke alarms require manufacturer-specified battery brand

Comment: I recall a news story that stated a certain brand or brands of
smoke alarms require a specified brand name of battery and that using the
wrong battery brand caused the batteries to either explode or malfunction.
Can you confirm if this is possibly correct?
Old 27 May 2007, 05:22 AM

In my 21 years as an electrician, I have installed many smoke detectors. Most of the units that I am familiar with recommend specific brands and models of replacement batteries (usually Duracell, Eveready, and/or any long-life lithium battery). From my understanding, the recommended batteries are the ones that have been proven in lab and field tests to be the most reliable batteries for the specific model of smoke detector. The use of a non-recommended battery (especially in battery powered units) may cause premature failure of the unit. This is primarily due to many batteries (bargain brands) having an inadequate power rating for the smoke detector in either not being able to provide enough power for the unit to operate (slow discharge rate) or by having a short battery life. I have never heard of a battery exploding while in a smoke detector. However, using non-recommended batteries may cause a smoke detector to malfunction and almost certainly will invalidate the warranty.
Old 27 May 2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
However, using non-recommended batteries may cause a smoke detector to malfunction and almost certainly will invalidate the warranty.
The warranty is only affected in some jurisdictions. In Sweden, it's not, as it would limit consumer choice.
Old 07 June 2007, 10:07 PM
SALAManda

Smoke detectors use radioactive material to detect smoke: Perhaps some types of battery have substances inside that are also mildly radioactive, affecting the detector's performance?
Old 07 June 2007, 11:50 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALAManda View Post
Smoke detectors use radioactive material to detect smoke: Perhaps some types of battery have substances inside that are also mildly radioactive, affecting the detector's performance?
Afraid not. The ugly truth is that the manufacturer of the alarm has signed an endorsement agreement with a battery manufacturer, getting money in return for their naming of a battery brand.

Voiding the warranty would not stand up in court in the U.S. If the smoke detector manufacturer recommended "Duracell" and I used "Energizer," and they tried to void the warranty, not only would the consumer have a strong claim against them...so would Energizer!

Also, the UL would step in and threaten to remove their approval from the manufacturer, since both Duracell and Energizer are UL approved.

Silas
Old 08 June 2007, 01:46 AM

You could also hardwire a properly sized DC adapter to one, via a 9-V battery clip, and it would work perfectly well, other than in a power failure.

No way that would void the warranty, as long as you didn't modify the detector itself.
Old 08 June 2007, 03:27 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
You could also hardwire a properly sized DC adapter to one, via a 9-V battery clip, and it would work perfectly well, other than in a power failure.

No way that would void the warranty, as long as you didn't modify the detector itself.
I just looked at mine, and there is a kind of lever that the battery depresses. If the battery weren't there, the lever would be open. I don't know if that has any effect on operation.

Personally, I'm with you: I like using AC adapters for various household thingies. Maybe a little wasteful, but saves a heap of labor.

Silas

P.S. It does occur to me that a power failure might not be an unexpected event accompanying a fire.
Old 19 May 2016, 06:16 AM

Default Like shampoo.

Most shampoo has a recommendation that you use the same brand of conditioner. I doubt anything dreadful would happen if you didn't.
Old 06 June 2016, 12:49 AM

Sometimes I play my Brunswick records with Columbia needles on my Victrola, and drink Jell-o shots made with Royal gelatin.
Old 06 June 2016, 01:44 AM

Holy zombie threads, Batman!

Welcome to the boards, Malmensa!
Old 06 June 2016, 02:25 AM

Gee, for one brief shining moment I thought Silas was back....
Old 06 June 2016, 02:36 AM

Old 06 June 2016, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
No kidding. This thread has been a trip down memory lane.
Old 06 June 2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Brad, me too. I just purchased one of his books, Web of Futures, for my Kindle. I always enjoyed his posts and missed him when I came back on line and didn't see any posts from him. He has a fan page on Facebook, but it's not run by him.
Old 07 June 2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
Afraid not. The ugly truth is that the manufacturer of the alarm has signed an endorsement agreement with a battery manufacturer, getting money in return for their naming of a battery brand.

Voiding the warranty would not stand up in court in the U.S. If the smoke detector manufacturer recommended "Duracell" and I used "Energizer," and they tried to void the warranty, not only would the consumer have a strong claim against them...so would Energizer!

Also, the UL would step in and threaten to remove their approval from the manufacturer, since both Duracell and Energizer are UL approved.

Silas
Also see The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
Old 07 June 2016, 03:23 PM

It's actually getting to be a moot point in regards to smoke detectors. 10 yr smoke alarms are becoming a national requirement for new sales. The battery is non-removable and when the smoke alarm is just replaced after 10 yrs or whenever stops working.
Old 09 June 2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
It's actually getting to be a moot point in regards to smoke detectors. 10 yr smoke alarms are becoming a national requirement for new sales. The battery is non-removable and when the smoke alarm is just replaced after 10 yrs or whenever stops working.
And then it just sounds a continuous tone if you try to replace the battery, I think. We had this happen on one that was pretty new- maybe a few months old. It just started to sound a tone and we could not get it to stop. Wrapped it in a towel, in a blanket, put it in a cooler in the basement, still could hear the whine.... we even had it in the freezer for a while just to muffle the sound. My dad ended up taking a hammer to it.

This happened a while ago though, I think there was something else we were supposed to do but didn't do My dad's not much one for reading the instructions on things.