snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 25 June 2015, 10:53 AM

Cheer Unhijackable

Veruca, the old thread closed before I could post, but I'm glad you and your kitties are OK!
Old 25 June 2015, 11:58 AM

Brave, smart kitties! So happy they're okay.
Old 25 June 2015, 01:18 PM

Thanks, everyone. Each cat is dealing with the trauma in her own way - Penny is being extra needy and cuddly, while Tina is hiding from everyone. Tina is already making some progress, though - while I was in bed last night, she crept up and licked my arm a couple of times.
Old 25 June 2015, 02:33 PM

I am SOOOO relieved your kitties are ok. Isnít it something? Itís like you can deal with just about anything. When the firemen finally let us back in, my brother led the way to my apartment. When we got to the door, he pushed me aside and opened the door first. (Later he said if there were dead cats, he didnít even want me coming in.) Madeline was sitting on the coffee table all ďwhatís up? Lotsa racket around here. Got some treats?Ē Slick was nowhere to be seen. No electricity. Lots of loud voices, flashing red and blue lightsÖ I grabbed the flashlight I ALWAYS keep right by the door, went down the hall, into the bedroom, around the bed, and sure enough: 15lbs of shivering scared black and white cat. I got him pulled out and we got out of there. Then Madeline figured out how the automatic windows worked on Bradís car as we were streaming down mopac and 80mph and nearly got sucked out onto the road.

So what kind of damage do you have? Are they offering you another place in the complex or do you have to bug out altogether?
Old 25 June 2015, 02:35 PM

Glasses

Hurrah for kitties!

Unhijackably, I'm getting really tired of hearing people rave about the weather. We're having the hottest June on record and we're two inches behind for the year on rain (and we're entering the driest part of the year). Wildfires are already burning; by August there's a good possibility a large part of the state will be black. What's good about this weather?

Seaboe
Old 25 June 2015, 02:40 PM

(Edit: To Gayle) My aunt did the same thing as your brother when we went up yesterday - she went in first so I wouldn't have to see if the worst had happened. It's so great having people like that around when you need them.

The water damage to the ceiling was really bad (I think the fire broke out in the unit above mine), but a lot of my stuff is surprisingly okay. I should be able to keep most of my books and clothes. The furniture maybe not so much, but I didn't own a whole lot of furniture anyway. There are no other apartments available in that complex, so I'll be staying with my dad for the time being.

ETA: To Seaboe: That does sound gross. At least around here, we all pretty much agree that this heat sucks.

Last edited by Veruca; 25 June 2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added some stuff
Old 25 June 2015, 03:01 PM

Veruca, I'm sorry to hear about your apartment. I'm glad you're OK, your felines are OK, and you have a place to stay.
Old 25 June 2015, 08:03 PM

Veruca, glad to hear you and the kitties are reunited and recovering together.

In other news, our high for the next few days is around 104F. This is after getting half our average rainfall. Fires are burning in the foothills and mountains roundabouts. We are expected to reduce water consumption, and many rural wells are dry.
Old 29 June 2015, 04:03 AM

So the last few days have been a kind of forced exposure therapy for my neurotic hatred of asking for help. To be honest, I was already pretty broke when the fire happened, so I've had to lean hard on family and friends since.

The funny thing is that when it comes to other people, I fully support the principle of everyone getting everything they need. I would never judge someone else for borrowing money from family, receiving welfare, or anything like that. And yet when I'm the one who has to call a relative because I can't afford a medication refill or gas for my car, I feel like total dookie. I can't shake the idea that if I were only smarter or better with money or something, I never would have been put in this position.

I'm really grateful to have people in my life who can and are willing to help me out. I know I should just focus on that, but it's really hard to avoid those feelings of guilt and shame.
Old 29 June 2015, 03:01 PM

Glasses

I don't have air conditioning. I've never had air conditioning. I did, however, grow up in eastern Washington with a father who knew how to keep a house cool. As a result, my house is almost always considerably cooler inside during a heat wave than a lot of people's houses are. In addition to predictable things, like insulation and fans, there are two major things about surviving a heat wave that I learned from my father: 1) you have to get the house as cold as possible at night (60 or so is ideal) and b) never open the windows while the temperature outside is higher than the temperature inside. If the stuffiness gets to you before that happens, then turn a fan on--but don't open that window!

Seaboe
Old 29 June 2015, 04:48 PM

I've made remarkable progress in keeping my house cool with window coverings. Making sure the sun is blocked from eastern windows in the morning and southern windows all day makes a huge difference in the temperature of my house.
Old 29 June 2015, 05:56 PM

Last night, my son, eldest daughter, and I met up with their three cousins on their bio-dad's side. We hadn't seen each other in seventeen years (for reference, DS is 23 and DD1 is 21).
We started out with iced teas and awkward silences at Panera, and gradually made it to memories and laughter at a local wings and beer place. We learned that one cousin works a matter of yards from where DD1 works, and lives blocks away from where DS and his GF live. By the time we parted ways, there were pictures and plans to meet for a local AAA baseball game.
Old 29 June 2015, 06:02 PM

Air conditioning isn't an option around here. Solar screens and duct sealing (blown in) made about a 25-30% difference in my cooling bill a few summers ago. I also add lined curtains that completely cover the window.
Old 30 June 2015, 03:42 AM

I lived happily without AC in western Washington, but wouldn't do it in Ohio.
Old 30 June 2015, 04:24 AM

We live without it for the vast majority of the summer. We do really well at cooling the house down at night and closing it up during the day. But, there's always that one (or sometimes more) high heatwave during the summer where the temperatures get very high, and it doesn't cool off enough at night. When that happens, I can't sleep at all. So, we have a window unit in our bedroom that I install just before the first heatwave.

We got one for the kids' room as well because it's worth a lot to not have them wake up due to temperature changes. Again, just for the really hot nights.

There's a reason people all have A/C in some parts of the country though. In Florida, it often doesn't cool off more than, say 10 to 15 degrees at night. Whereas here, there can be temperature swings of 30 degrees, easily. If it's 90 during the day but down to 60 at night, the no A/C method is just workable. If it's 95 during the day, and only goes down to 80 overnight, it won't work to make the house comfortable for most people.

Also, A/C lowers humidity, which makes a huge difference in places like Florida.
Old 30 June 2015, 05:14 AM

We have the 30 degree temperature swing, but when it starts out at 105F, that 75F doesn't quite cut it.
Old 30 June 2015, 06:12 AM

I bought a portable air conditioner for my bedroom last summer, after 1.5 summers without. There's a huge southwest-facing window that I'm not allowed to do anything with--no exterior shades or anything, due to HOA rules--and as a result, it's always 5-10 degrees hotter in that room than the rest of the apartment. It was the best $100 I ever spent. This summer, it's been humid as well as hot, which is unusual for this area. Because I bought it used on Craigslist, it's missing the chamber that collects condensation, so I ran the hose to a jar I had. It filled up in less than an hour, so I swapped it out for a giant stock pot, which filled up within two days. I am so glad to have all that stickiness out of the air!
Old 30 June 2015, 11:48 AM

People's heat tolerance varies, as well. And despite what some people have been telling me for 50 years, it's not a simple as "you'll get used to it." I lived in Ohio without AC throughout my childhood and during a big chunk of young adulthood, and I never stopped being miserable during hot, humid weather.
Old 30 June 2015, 12:05 PM

Yea the humidity really kills it. "Cool" at night here is sometimes 80-85 degrees and humid. We also have allergy issues so we don't open windows at all. We'll go straight from heat to air. It's a struggle in April and October to decide if it's going to be warm for good or cold for good.
Old 30 June 2015, 12:36 PM

Yes, exactly. I love having windows open but it's rarely practical for us.
Closed Thread