snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 20 April 2017, 09:43 PM

Sleep Number has a new ad with an elk "bugling." Except that the sound that's being played is absolutely nothing like an elk's bugle, which is high pitched, and instead sounds like someone doing an impression of a tuba.

Here's what an elk bugle sounds like

Here's the commercial
Old 20 April 2017, 09:50 PM

There's some phone company ad with an incredibly repetitive song in the background. Ugh.

I don't hate this one, but it struck me: It's a Fitbit where a little girl tells the story of her mom searching for something, and finding it -- "it" being fitness, or fulfillment -- she runs a race at the end. The ad ends with the little girl saying "Finally, she found it. And if she can find it, anybody can!"

Um, that last line isn't is compliment.
Old 20 April 2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Here's what an elk bugle sounds like
That was fascinating; and not remotely what I would have expected. Thanks for posting it!

-- I'm too far south for elk; just lots of white tailed deer. The coyote chorus sounds off from time to time, though.
Old 20 April 2017, 11:20 PM

Yeah, elk have such a unique call that I figured I needed to post a link to it just to show how utterly wrong that commercial is.
Old 21 April 2017, 12:28 AM

I saw an ad a couple of days ago for some sort of frozen meals. It showed a guy in some sort of workplace break room heating up his lunch and then "spanking" the food with his fork while talking dirty to it (well, as dirty as you're allowed to air on network television). The tag line was something along the lines of "Meals you wanna fork." Ha ha, because fork kind of sounds like NFBSK. And the thought of people wanting to have sex with their food is totally a mental image I wanted.
Old 21 April 2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
There's some phone company ad with an incredibly repetitive song in the background. Ugh.
There was a ad for an SUV here recently with a song that went "We're livin' owt the back of a carrr!" repeatedly through out the whole ad. Just that one line the whole ad. And the family aren't "Livin' owt the back of a carrr!" They aren't homeless. In fact they aren't doing anything that couldn't have been done in an ordinary car that wasn't four wheel drive. Or even have done without a car (cause I have done most of it)

They also had one in the same series where they leave the dog with grandma and granddad, little girl looks sad so they go back and get the dog. (We're livin' owt the back of a carr!!)

If they can take the dog why were they leaving the dog in the first place? and what has this got to do with the 4 wheel drive/ SUV anyhow. (We're livin' owt the back of a carr!)

Oh there was also a ooh oh oooh oh oooh oh! So really two lines repeated.

Last edited by Dasla; 21 April 2017 at 01:22 AM. Reason: too add the last line.
Old 21 April 2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I saw an ad a couple of days ago for some sort of frozen meals. It showed a guy in some sort of workplace break room heating up his lunch and then "spanking" the food with his fork while talking dirty to it (well, as dirty as you're allowed to air on network television). The tag line was something along the lines of "Meals you wanna fork." Ha ha, because fork kind of sounds like NFBSK. And the thought of people wanting to have sex with their food is totally a mental image I wanted.
Sometimes I wonder if the people who are in these adverst ever feel embarassed afterward, like if they see it on television or something. It can't pay well enough to completely make up for that, I don't think. There was one that was airing IIRC around New Years that was some car company and the spokesman stood in the middle of a busy city area (perhaps standing on a stage platform, i forget) delivering all of this talk about the stats of the car/the company, awards it's won, etc, ending with a mic drop. The whole time the guy is delivering it with this smug look that immediately made me annoyed even prior to the mic drop. The use of the mic drop in the memetic way (meaning- they only put that in in because there had been a "mic drop" meme, but that meme was IMO pretty dead by that point) made the ad notably cringe-worthy to me.
Old 21 April 2017, 12:26 PM

The state of New Jersey has a PSA about a program that helps drug addicts. It's narrated by a young woman who got hooked on heroin because it was easier and cheaper than the prescription pain killers she was craving. There's a dramatization of alleged scenes from her life, and she makes a personal appearance near the end. She's attractive and healthy-looking, appearing none the worse for her experience.

Now I don't doubt the truth of her story, I'm glad she found help, and I'm sure some in the audience will relate. But I can't look at this spot without seeing her as Drug Addict Lite - the type of person who was raised in a fairly sheltered manner and serously overstates her problem after using an illegal drug once or twice. Again, this is probably not true, but I can't shake the impression. I really question the logic of using this one person as the face of drug addiction in NJ.
Old 21 April 2017, 02:36 PM

Jaded

I'm tired of Geico ads in general--way too many of them--but the recent batch of radio ads has reached new levels of obnoxiousness. You've probably heard them: I'm your shadow/ear/brain/skeleton, etc, etc, etc....
I think my main issue is sheer over-saturation.
Old 21 April 2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Sometimes I wonder if the people who are in these adverst ever feel embarassed afterward, like if they see it on television or something. It can't pay well enough to completely make up for that, I don't think.
Depends on how broke you are, I'm guessing.
Old 21 April 2017, 03:13 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Sometimes I wonder if the people who are in these adverst ever feel embarassed afterward, like if they see it on television or something. It can't pay well enough to completely make up for that, I don't think.
Quote:
I went to college with the star of the old Folgers Christmas commercial. (The one from the 80s, not the remake with incest overtones.) It ran for years and years. Whenever I saw it in the company of anyone else who knew him even slightly, one of us would mention how he must be rolling in residual money.
Old 21 April 2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
The state of New Jersey has a PSA about a program that helps drug addicts. It's narrated by a young woman who got hooked on heroin because it was easier and cheaper than the prescription pain killers she was craving. There's a dramatization of alleged scenes from her life, and she makes a personal appearance near the end. She's attractive and healthy-looking, appearing none the worse for her experience.

Now I don't doubt the truth of her story, I'm glad she found help, and I'm sure some in the audience will relate. But I can't look at this spot without seeing her as Drug Addict Lite - the type of person who was raised in a fairly sheltered manner and serously overstates her problem after using an illegal drug once or twice. Again, this is probably not true, but I can't shake the impression. I really question the logic of using this one person as the face of drug addiction in NJ.
I felt a little weird about that ad when I saw it the other day, but I can kind of udnerstand why they went that way.

There is a really bad heroin epidemic in NJ right now (which you may have already known about- I'm just including it as background info- for instnace in my town, of the six people I went to high school with who have died, 5 were heroin OD's, and I know quite a few more people who have been arrested for dealing/buying or been to rehab) and I think I understand the logic behind casting somebody who looks relatively healthy rather than somebody who doesn't. If they had somebody who looked more rugged and run down, I don't know that that would attract people to call the hotline- they might think "Gee, going through rehab and that's all I can hope for?" It's hard enough to motivated people to take that first step, a grittier "realistic" portrayal of a recovering drug addict might convince people to just run the other way. Now to be fair to the young woman, it's possible that she really did have a problem with addiction but her stint didn't last as long as it does for some people, and that's why she looks so good now.

There's a similar ad that has a bunch of people talking about their experience getting addiction help- or maybe multiple commercials, I"m not sure- but one of them ends with this guy who says something along the lines of "I wish my family had had insurance. I could have got the best help available" and the guy just looks so worn down and sad, like he's trying not to cry, and I just want to give him a big hug. I guess it's an effective ad but it gets me down every time I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie
That's true
Old 21 April 2017, 08:47 PM

mbravo, I do understand what you're saying about the NJ spot - but that still doesn't do anything to change my impression. I would probably feel better if there were 2 or 3 more commercials along similar lines with more diverse real-life narrators.

As for the ""I wish my family had had insurance" one, I'm not sure I even understand it. I think the spot is advertising a service that will find you help if you have insurance, so it comes off as a backhanded plug for health insurance.
Old 22 April 2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
That was fascinating; and not remotely what I would have expected. Thanks for posting it!
If you'd played the computer game Firewatch you'd have known... there's a very effective use of an elk cry at one point in that. I guess that the game makers are also counting on most players not immediately knowing what it is though... (as the main game character doesn't, but as the woman he's talking to does, apparently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
But I can't look at this spot without seeing her as Drug Addict Lite - the type of person who was raised in a fairly sheltered manner and serously overstates her problem after using an illegal drug once or twice. Again, this is probably not true, but I can't shake the impression. I really question the logic of using this one person as the face of drug addiction in NJ.
Addiction to prescription opiates is apparently an increasingly common route to heroin addiction in certain circles. People move on to it when they can no longer afford / get legitimate access to the prescription opiates, because heroin is much cheaper.

There's some discussion of it in this article about Harris Wittels (and comments), a comedy writer on Parks and Recreation among other things, who became addicted to heroin through that route, had several unsuccessful rehab attempts and eventually died of an overdose - hardly "drug addiction lite". I'm just reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, and the narrator in that is addicted to prescription opiates and says his dealer doesn't understand why he just doesn't move to heroin since it's so much cheaper, easier to get hold of and not a lot more dangerous; he can afford not to do so though, and prefers not to. Even Thomas De Quincy (Confessions of an English Opium Eater) took opium recreationally once a fortnight or so for years and only became addicted when he was prescribed it as a painkiller for a stomach complaint.
Old 24 April 2017, 04:07 PM

I heard this on NPR, so technically it's not a commercial, it's an underwriter's credit, but really it's a commercial. It's a tag line from one of those identity theft protection services that says "identity thieves can pretend to impersonate other people". I don't mind if they pretend to impersonate me, it's only when they actually impersonate me that it's a problem. I don't really hate it, but I'm more amused by it. Given NPR's stereotypical audience I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting a ton of letters about that.
Old 24 April 2017, 04:19 PM

I've heard an annoying (to me) level of grammar and usage errors from actual NPR content lately. Their audience may be developing correction fatigue.
Old 25 April 2017, 02:33 AM

Some fairly bizarre ones, too. Strange misuse of words, or sentences that get lost in the syntax. More than once I've noticed problems with comparisons involving "as," "than," or "of," in which they seem to forget how they began the sentence, such as "this new system has twice the storage capacity than the old one," or "this year's march saw an increase in participants, nearly twice the number of protestors than last year." (Not verbatim examples, but similar to what I've heard.)
Old 27 April 2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I've heard an annoying (to me) level of grammar and usage errors from actual NPR content lately.
Maybe the Trump administration cut their grammar funding.
Old 27 April 2017, 05:24 PM

Sadly, it predates the election. It might be more like the last couple of years.
Old 02 May 2017, 01:16 AM

I'm sitting here on the first of May in St. Louis where the temperature is 50, having topped out at a windy 58 around 1pm.
I just saw an ad urging me to replace my bulb with ZappLight.
It shows mosquitoes crawling on skin, while the voice-over warns of increased risk of disease from mosquito bites. Overlaid on the video are the captions: Zika Virus!, West Nile Virus!, and Malaria!
The first two are exploitative enough, but really, malaria? Still?
Didn't we give the Canal Zone back to Panama?

Last edited by Eoin; 02 May 2017 at 01:27 AM.