snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 18 August 2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
There are a couple of ads for NBC's NASCAR coverage that seem to be targeting their expanded viewership during the Olympics. Only they seem to be playing up and/or pandering to the worst stereotypes of the former fan base - they feature a country singer (Blake Shelton, maybe?) talking about such things as how you'll see lots of flags at NASCAR events too, "but they're all red, white, and blue!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Also patently untrue since many people in the infield will fly the flags of their favorite driver which run the entire spectrum.
There are also a few other countries whose flags are red, white and blue. It is just that our national colours are not always the same as our flags.
Old 18 August 2016, 03:32 PM

I didn't hate the commercial itself, but there was an ad for Budweiser's lime-flavored beer with a song that goes "Ooh, she knows she's perfect." What I hated was hearing the song when they went to commercial and when they came back from the same commercial break, made worse because the Template learned the jingle. They've replaced it with another ad for the same product, but the new one doesn't annoy me.
Old 24 August 2016, 06:37 PM

Icon02

Great! A local fencing/home improvement company has a new annoying (radio) ad!
Old 06 September 2016, 06:45 PM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Viberzi commercial

So, instead of an anthropomorphic bladder or intestines, people with IBS-D have to deal with an entirely separate person? Glad I don't have it.
The ads are beyond strange; nauseating for sure.

The Big Meeting
Old 06 September 2016, 07:13 PM

Doesn't look significantly worse than the actual condition to me.

ETA: Not that there's any reason to share the misery.
Old 06 September 2016, 07:55 PM

There have been various retirement-investment commercials over the past few years that have employed scare tactics about looming tax rates to dissuade people from IRA's, 401(k('s and the like. The pitch is that these are horrible because tax rates will be raised to some insanely high rate in the near future, so you need some other investment vehicle. like annuities or whole life or... there are various pitches. Criminy - I should be so lucky as to be in the top tax bracket when I am taking distributions from retirement funds, but unless I am working full time or things change dramatically somehow, it is not happening. And as much as I shiver in dread when Congress starts fooling with the tax rates, I know full well that it is politically unthinkable for rates to be raised substantially for anyone not well into a six-figure income (again, I should be so lucky to have that as retirement income!). Yes, there are advantages to other vehicles, but putting money away tax-free while one is in their earning years (and presumably in the highest bracket they will ever be in) in IRAs and 401(k)s remains a heck-of-a-deal, and for nearly everyone the first step of retirement planning (after SS, which we have no choices in until we hit retirement years), after which if you have extra money to sock away, you can look at the other options. And anyone who tries to steer me away from IRA's and 401(k)s with a scare story like this is to be immediately shunned!
Old 06 September 2016, 09:11 PM

Mrs. from Georgia gave me a Sirius XM radio receiver for my car last Christmas. I enjoy listening to old-time radio shows, but . . . .

There is a product called Zyppah. It is supposed to stop snoring. The name is "Happy Z" spelled backward. And it has the most godawful annoying commercials--a guy from Jersey yelling at you:

"Hey, you! Yah, you! Whatcha doin' sleepin' on the frickin' COUCH, dummy? It's 'cause ya SNORE! What, you got no respect for your wife? Get yaself a Zyppah! Get two! Get three or four! Zyppah! It stops ya stoopid snorin! Zyppah! It's Happy Z spelled backwards, ya dum-dum! Zyppah! Zyppah, I tells ya! Got that? Zyppah!"

....and variants thereof.

Edited to add: About TV advertisements: Just last night my wife asked me "Why are so many TV commercials showing us people just being MEAN to each other?" I told her, "I dunno. Get yaself a Zyppah!"
Old 08 September 2016, 12:09 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post

Edited to add: About TV advertisements: Just last night my wife asked me "Why are so many TV commercials showing us people just being MEAN to each other?" I told her, "I dunno. Get yaself a Zyppah!"

Maybe the people in them think that they are being hip, cool and with it.
BTW that radio ad sounds as annoying as a Kars-For-Kids ad.

Satellite radio has ads?
Old 08 September 2016, 01:31 PM

Icon106

Kars for Kids now has its own entry at knowyourmeme.com.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kars4kids-jingle

Some interesting tidbits...

Quote:
The Kars4Kids Jingle, also known as “1-877-Kars-4-Kids,” is a song that plays during radio and television commercials for the non-profit organization Kars4Kids. It is widely known as one of the most despised jingles of all time.

Quote:
The original jingle was so hated that Kars4Kids keeps the singer’s names under wraps due to the fact he has received death threats.

Quote:
The jingle is almost universally hated. Noisey jokingly stated, “It’s one of the few issues that transcends race, gender, and class. Were a Presidential candidate to run for office on the promise that they would ban the jingle and waterboard the people responsible, they’d win in a landslide.”
Old 08 September 2016, 03:33 PM

Icon84

TGG-- If I wasn't at work, I'd be howling with laughter.
Old 08 September 2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post

Satellite radio has ads?
Many of the stations don't, but unfortunately, all the ones I like do. Second-worst are the commercials for Big Lou, who will find you term life insurance even if you are a thrice-divorced overweight leper who plans to vote for Hillary....
Old 09 September 2016, 12:36 AM

Reporter

Quote:
Satellite radio has ads?
The Classic Radio channel, which features old time radio shows from the early 1920s through the mid to late '60s does have ads. To be fair, they only play two or so between (usually) 30 minute shows, and also, once in a while, a vintage ad as well. It's kind of interesting to listen to ads from the '40s and '50s.

If there is an ad during the show, it's a vintage one that happened to be recorded along with the show, otherwise, there are no ads played during the entirety of the vintage show itself.

I must say, some of those old radio shows were pretty well written and acted.

Anything with Vincent Price, who loved doing radio shows, and The Third Man shows staring Orson Wells are notable examples.

I have an hour drive home at night after work, and it's amazing how fast that time flies when I listen to that station.
Old 09 September 2016, 03:31 AM

The radio version of "Gunsmoke" is very gritty-- more adult than the TV version--and amazingly soundscaped, with layers of subtle background sounds. The Jack Benny programs have aged well and are often hillarious in a way that old Bob Hope shows (too dependent on contemporary events) are not. "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar," like "The Shadow," went through a slew of actors in the title role and is uneven, but some are very good. Lots of good stuff there, between the annoying ads.
Old 09 September 2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
The radio version of "Gunsmoke" is very gritty-- more adult than the TV version--and amazingly soundscaped, with layers of subtle background sounds. The Jack Benny programs have aged well and are often hillarious in a way that old Bob Hope shows (too dependent on contemporary events) are not. "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar," like "The Shadow," went through a slew of actors in the title role and is uneven, but some are very good. Lots of good stuff there, between the annoying ads.
[DERAIL]The "Gunsmoke" radio show ran for 9 years, and was hugely popular. It starred William Conrad, one of my favorite character actors. I listened to an interview Greg Bell did with his son. He said that when the TV show was announced, there was a campaign to get William Conrad on the show, but, "My dad was shaped like a football, and the TV producers didn't think that Matt Dillon should be shaped like a football!" Conrad was also the narrator for the Rocky and Bullwinkle shows.

Another show that's aged well is the Burns and Allen comedy shows. I think in terms of style and delivery, they were way ahead of their time.[/DERAIL]

Last edited by DrRocket; 09 September 2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09 September 2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Satellite radio has ads?
I just heard it today. I appreciated the forewarning so I could prepare myself for the cringe. ZEEPAH!

Yeah, some satellite radio stations have ads, such as the comedy stations. Some of the music stations don't (80s on 8, 80s on 9, Pop 2K, etc) but the ones that are syndicated (I hope that's the right word) do - Kiss 108 LA, Z100 New York, etc. I'm not really sure why some have the commercials and some don't. Commercials just mean that I change the station.
Old 09 September 2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
but the ones that are syndicated (I hope that's the right word) do - Kiss 108 LA, Z100 New York, etc. I'm not really sure why some have the commercials and some don't.
You're close, the word is even simpler than that- commercial vs. non-commercial radio. Commercial stations, like those you list, play paid advertisements often throughout their hour block programming. Non-commercial radio may play PSAs and run fundraising/donaiton periods but do not play paid advertisements, either pre-recorded or spoken by the DJ. Most college stations fall into the second category, most (perhaps even all?) top-40 type stations fall into the first.

edit: Just realized you are talking about satellite radio, D'oh! Looking into it, those are less likely to have advertisements because they are subscription based.

I'll leave my explanation there though just in case anyone wanted to know it...

Last edited by mbravo; 09 September 2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: should read thoroughly before answering questions.
Old 09 September 2016, 03:44 PM

I just got introduced to Zyppah yesterday on my drive home from vacation. My husband's been obsessed with the American election, and the ads on CNN and MSNBC are almost as horrifying as the radio shows themselves.

The other ad that stuck out was for some prostate magic water. It lists a bunch of pee-related symptoms and warning signs, tells listeners that it could indicate a serious prostate problem that will only get worse... then rather than telling people to go to the doctor, tries to sell some non-FDA approved tonic to, uh, fix your stream.
Old 09 September 2016, 06:17 PM

Blow Your Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
I just got introduced to Zyppah yesterday on my drive home from vacation. My husband's been obsessed with the American election, and the ads on CNN and MSNBC are almost as horrifying as the radio shows themselves.

You need to get professional help for your DH!
Old 09 September 2016, 06:18 PM

I can't imagine voluntarily subjecting myself to one our presidential elections. I wish I could escape the damn thing.
Old 09 September 2016, 06:20 PM

Perhaps it's part of a larger (voluntary) medical/psychiatric experiment.