snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 28 March 2015, 12:43 PM

Default Tape this inside your medicine cabinet

This graphic is all over pinterest. I was wondering if anyone knew if any of these actually work? I think thinkgeek was the last one to pin it.

Old 30 March 2015, 07:42 AM

Alka-Seltzer is acidic, and taking in acids is considered helpful for urinary tract infections. I've heard doctors recommend drinking lots of orange juice. But that's meant to help with the medical treatment, not to replace it.

Some of the other "life hacks" I can see working, like the nail polish to fixate smal screws. But when you was your dog with something that needs the disclaimer "Rinse well to avoid skin irritations", you should probably rather use a dog shampoo that was designed to avoid skin irritations.
Old 30 March 2015, 08:01 AM

The white glue paste to remove splinters trick does work, some of the time. If you're unlucky it breaks the splinter off at the skin, leaving the portion stuck in you much harder to pull out. I'll stick with tweezers. I almost wonder if this is some sort of viral advertisement given all the name brands that get name dropped; even when the text doesn't specify a brand name the photo tied to it almost always does.
Old 30 March 2015, 11:01 AM

As is, that graphic is waaay too long to fit inside my medicine cabinet!
Old 30 March 2015, 11:50 AM

On "Coca Cola removes rust" this is a green-cleaning website:
http://greencleaningproductsllc.com/...ning-products/ says it might remove tarnish on some metals, but can actually corrode others.
Old 30 March 2015, 12:03 PM

Head aches are a common symptom of dehydration...

Of course drinking two glasses of water will help with that.

Now if your head ache is due to something else...
Good luck. You've got no aspirin in your medicine cabinet, only a bunch of old folks remedy.
Did you remember to stock up on willow bark and eye of newt?
Old 30 March 2015, 12:46 PM

The two glasses of liquid might also work if it was cold and your headache is a migraine. I have heard of drinking or eating cold stuff - essentially forcing a brain freeze - to constrict the blood vessels of the head and stem an oncoming migraine. I don't get migraines, so I cannot vouch for it, but it seems worth a try. Heck, any excuse to eat ice cream is worth a try.
Old 30 March 2015, 12:53 PM

Unless your migraines are accompanied by nausea.
Old 30 March 2015, 01:47 PM

Most sore throats are viral, so anything that "kills the bacteria" won't do any good. In the far-less-common case of a bacterial infection, you need antibiotics. Vinegar's not going to cure your strep throat.

(Although honey in warm water can soothe a sore throat very well).
Old 30 March 2015, 05:07 PM

Like I said, most of these "remedies" are old folk remedies and would alleviate the symptom, not actually "cure" the illness.

I mean does massage oil really have any "active" ingredient" other than oil?
It's the massage doing the relieving, not the oil, so why add horserasdish unless you want to smell like it?

And the Listerine thing... the bottle does say antiseptic, and it does contain alcohol (unless it's Listerine Zero) but I don't think it's going to kill your toe fungus anymore than soaking your toe in bourbon would.
Old 30 March 2015, 05:17 PM

Yes, several of them are a bit odd (such as most of the Listerine ones). "Why buy a product designed to treat the condition you have, when you can buy another similar product designed for a different purpose and use that instead?" OK, Listerine probably is an antiseptic, but so are antiseptics!

I suppose it's fair enough if there are lots of generic antiseptics which are all trying to get you to buy them for different purposes, when really any one of them would do for any purpose, but why Listerine in particular? (You can gargle with TCP, it just tastes nasty and makes you smell of TCP...)
Old 30 March 2015, 06:21 PM

A long time ago, a vet told me to use Dawn on the dogs. She said to dilute it with water to make it easier to rinse out.

Listerine on your feet--I had toenail fungus, and the doc said I could take a liver destroying pill, OR soak my feet in a bath of 2 cups vinegar and 1 cup alcohol, every day for a couple of weeks. I chose the footbath, my toenails are now pretty pink, no more yellow.
Old 30 March 2015, 06:24 PM

Glasses

Richard, I wonder if the idea of some of these is that you might have them on hand, so why go out and buy something else?

Personally, I agree with Alarm--just because a trick alleviates the symptoms doesn't mean it's cured the condition.

And as anecdotal data, I've never had a headache that was alleviated by drinking anything. If it's bad enough I need a painkiller, then I need a painkiller.

Seaboe
Old 30 March 2015, 06:37 PM

I don't buy any insect sprays anymore, because I discovered that i could spray ants with 409, or really any similar cleaning spray. I'm fairly certain it drowns them, but they are immobilized immediately. I don't know how it would work on other insects though.

It does seem like a page of tips that's been dressed up in name brands to make into a marketing thing.

The only one that jumps out at me as plain stupid is vinegar on a bruise. Massaging a bruise can help it go away faster, which is the only benefit of homeopathic "remedies" like arnica cream. But wiping vinegar on your skin with a cotton ball won't even have that side benefit.

I agree with Seaboe on the headache thing. If I'm dehydrated, I actually get nauseated, not headachy. When I have a headache, I usually need medicine or caffeine, or both.

Oh, and Listerine would hurt like a mother on a broken blister.
Old 30 March 2015, 06:54 PM

It is fun if you reverse some of them:
  • Did you know that aloe makes an excellent toothpaste?
  • Making toast and want to liven it up? Try some Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash.
  • Dirty dishes? Ridd Anti Tick And Flea Solution will dissolve stuck on food in seconds. Rinse well to prevent vomitting.
Old 30 March 2015, 08:22 PM

I usually don't give these lists much time, but one trick I tried recently was using molassas to remove rust. It needs to soak, so no good for an instant shine, but worth the wait. I had an old gun action that hadn't been used for over 40 years and not stored properly. I soaked it in a 1/4 solution of molassas for 2 weeks and it came out shining.
Old 30 March 2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
A long time ago, a vet told me to use Dawn on the dogs. She said to dilute it with water to make it easier to rinse out.
Diluted dish soap is a very good degreaser for animals with sticky or oily fur.
Old 30 March 2015, 11:13 PM

Soap (not necessarily Dawn, but any soap) can kill insects: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05547.html
Old 30 March 2015, 11:29 PM

When we used to have to flea comb the cats we'd have a bowl of water with a little dish soap in it to drown the fleas in. It was very effective, but I much prefer using Advantage or the like now. (As necessary--they are indoor only cats).
Old 30 March 2015, 11:51 PM

I don't know about its ability to kill toenail fungus, but Listerine is pretty worthless in the antiseptic department as a mouthwash.