snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 15 December 2014, 09:34 PM

Icon19 Unhijackable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker
The other half of my intended post from this morning (I got interrupted by actual {gasp!} work, even though it was early). This morning at 1:23 am I woke up having heard someone yell "Hello!" as if they were trying to get help. Except that it was dead quiet outside. I assume that someone who was looking for help in the middle of the night would pound on doors or make other noise in addition to just yelling "Hello!", but I couldn't go back to sleep until I'd gotten up and things out (from the safety of my darkened, locked house, of course). It was very weird.
That sounds like it might have been a Hypnogogic hallucination. I sometimes get a similar thing when I'm falling asleep (which is a hypnopompic hallucination)
Old 15 December 2014, 09:40 PM

I would second the Hypnogogic hallucination suggestion. I get some very similar to that. Sometimes I swear I heard someone ring the doorbell or knock on the door. Those are the easy hallucinations for me. I suffer from some serious stuff at night. Lately I have been taking Niquell and shocked at how easy sleep has been.
Old 16 December 2014, 02:04 PM

Glasses

Thanks, Gutter Monkey and Beach. Usually, what wakes me is either the need to pee or the arrival of the newspaper. I usually wake up just after the thud the newspaper makes, so I know something (comparatively) loud woke me up without actually hearing it, but the newspaper comes between 3:30 and 4:30, so I knew it wasn't that.

Unhijackably, the second meet and greet with Ferdinand (fka Prince) went well. So long as my references check out and the home visit goes well, I will have a dog. A ball of white fluff when he's sleeping. I'm hoping he likes the back yard well enough that I won't have to worry about digging. Yes, pictures will come once he's really and truly mine.

Seaboe
Old 16 December 2014, 08:17 PM

Actually, hypnogogic are when you’re falling asleep and hynopompic are when you’re waking up.
http://www.end-your-sleep-deprivatio...cinations.html

I am happy to say that after 30+ years of at least one a month and up to 3 nights a week with 4 separate episodes, I have gone a whole year without one.
Old 16 December 2014, 08:23 PM

That is awesome Gayle. I went a night without one with Nyquell a few days ago. My demons broke through the drug induced sleep on night 2.
Old 16 December 2014, 09:35 PM

I got a phishing email pretending to be from Best Buy just now. I actually had just been shopping for microwaves on Best Buy's web site, but ultimately ended up ordering from Sears. I had put one in my cart at Best Buy, though, because it was one of those "add to cart to see price" deals, so for a brief moment I was worried I had accidentally bought it. My concerns were alleviated when I saw the atrocious grammar:

Quote:
E-shop Best Buy has received an order addressed to you which has to be confirmed by the recipient within 4 days.
Upon confirmation you may pick it in any nearest store of Best Buy.

Detailed order information is attached to the letter.

Wishing you Happy Thanksgiving!

Best Buy
Also, these phishers need to learn when US holidays are.
Old 17 December 2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Lately I have been taking Niquell and shocked at how easy sleep has been.
Please be careful with that! There's an awful lot of acetaminophen in standard issue Nyquil, and if you're taking an unusual dosage to help you sleep (rather than beat cold symptoms) you could cause yourself great harm, entirely by mistake. Vicks makes the same product without the acetaminophen in it, called Zzzquil, which is intended as a sleep aid.
Old 17 December 2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Actually, hypnogogic are when you’re falling asleep and hynopompic are when you’re waking up.

Oops, I somehow got the terms mixed around in my post.

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 17 December 2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 17 December 2014, 03:15 PM

Theme Icon

I've got two friends who have been posting the same thing over and over on Facebook this last week and it's pretty annoying but they're both in emotionally vulnerable places right now so I don't have the heart to tell them. I guess I'll just ride it out ...
Old 17 December 2014, 05:31 PM

Glasses

Quote:
After reading that website, I have to say waking up having heard someone shout something as innocuous as "Hello" is positively comforting. Wow.

Seaboe
Old 17 December 2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
That is awesome Gayle. I went a night without one with Nyquell a few days ago. My demons broke through the drug induced sleep on night 2.
I take Xyrem which has completely stopped them. My sleep doctor had me take a half dosage of Prozac which worked pretty well.
Old 17 December 2014, 06:31 PM

Icon18

Quote:
I've had both, and it can be a little scary. I've heard someone knocking at the door, the doorbell, random bangs, barely discernible voices, and once a very loud MEOW right in my ear. With that last one, I got up soon after and found the bedroom door to be shut and Ash in the living room. There's no way it could have been him.

Now, I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, although I am fascinated by the phenomenon. I can certainly see how auditory hallucinations of the type I've had could be perceived as restless spirits!
Old 17 December 2014, 07:23 PM

Argh! I just won something really, really cool. The problem is that it was through a Twitter contest, and I'm waiting for the organization to contact me with the details. Even though it's a legit contest and they announced me as the winner publicly, I won't quite believe it until I deal with someone in person. Again... Argh!
Old 17 December 2014, 08:07 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Please be careful with that! There's an awful lot of acetaminophen in standard issue Nyquil, and if you're taking an unusual dosage to help you sleep ....
Thanks, but I'm just using the Nyquell, standard dosage, to help me with some serious bronchitis. The one good night of sleep was just a positive side affect.

Quote:
I take Xyrem which has completely stopped them. My sleep doctor had me take a half dosage of Prozac which worked pretty well.
I think I need to see a sleep doctor. I don't fully realize how bad my sleep habits are until I actually sleep through the night for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
...Now, I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, although I am fascinated by the phenomenon. I can certainly see how auditory hallucinations of the type I've had could be perceived as restless spirits!
Absolutely. And when the hallucinations make you think there is someone in the room with you, often in the bed, it is quite possible to see how someone might think of it as a paranormal experience.
Old 18 December 2014, 07:55 AM

I had a door-to-door solicitor knock on my door today even though I've got a "Do not knock" sign. When I answered the door he opened up with "Oh hello, I didn't notice that sign until right now. Anyway, now that you're here can I tell you about ..."

That's about as far as he got through his spiel before I interrupted and sent him on his way.
Old 18 December 2014, 04:44 PM

When I paid the annual museum membership cost, I added a bit as a donation. The museum director sent a letter thanking us for the donation. Except somebody screwed up and instead of the amount of the donation, it's just written (in German) "thanks for your donation of CHF 0.-".

So we received a letter which actually says, "Thanks for nothing".

CHF = Swiss Franc
Old 18 December 2014, 05:44 PM

Tom Cat scared the living daylights out of me last night. He's been really clingy and needy the past few days, and I woke up around 3:00 to find him curled up beside my pillow, where he isn't supposed to be. I patted him hard on the backside and told him to move. No response. I nudged him harder. Nothing. I gave him a shove, and he...flopped. Bonelessly. He was warm, but weirdly inert
I thought for sure he'd passed away in his sleep. My panic woke my husband, who got out of bed and came around to check on Tom. He moved him to the foot of the bed, where apparently Tom shook his head and looked up. Shortly after that, he moved to the other corner of the bed, and a little while later he raced down the hall to get a snack.

Today he's been completely normal, getting on the counter where he isn't supposed to be, pestering for attention. I guess he was just deeply, deeply asleep, but what a fright!
Old 19 December 2014, 04:26 AM

Australia

I was at the mall today and popped into Toys 'Я' Us to browse ... I guess things have been extra hectic thanks to the holiday season judging by the state of the place

Edit: i also visited a big box hardware store while I was there and when I went into their garden section I heard a faint cheeping noise ...

I guess they mustn't sell very many of those plants if a bird can hide a nest in there and raise a baby chick without being disturbed.

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 19 December 2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 19 December 2014, 06:47 AM

Edit - wrong thread
Old 19 December 2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Edit: i also visited a big box hardware store while I was there and when I went into their garden section I heard a faint cheeping noise ...

I guess they mustn't sell very many of those plants if a bird can hide a nest in there and raise a baby chick without being disturbed.
The nest and chick are sold separately, as part of a special promotion.
Closed Thread