snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 12 August 2014, 02:39 PM

Icon09 RadioShack slammed for ads portraying young boys in sexual situations

Financial woes aren’t the only thing hurting RadioShack’s image lately -– many are upset over the technology retailer’s new advertising campaign.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...al-situations/
Old 12 August 2014, 02:40 PM

If g-you think it's immoral for fathers and sons to talk to each other about sex, g-you need help.

ETA: Also, those aren't "sexual situations."
Old 12 August 2014, 02:57 PM

I'm kinda saddened to see Radio Shack going out of business. I can't think of a better place to buy wires and connectors and adapters and various sundry other small electronics parts.
Old 12 August 2014, 02:57 PM

Totally agree with Lainie. This outrage is stupid.
Old 12 August 2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarchery View Post
I'm kinda saddened to see Radio Shack going out of business. I can't think of a better place to buy wires and connectors and adapters and various sundry other small electronics parts.
Adapters especially. Where will I go to say "I have a [gadget] and a [different kind of gadget], and I need to connect them -- what do I need?"

ETA: Getting back to the OP, when people say "young boys" I don't think "teenagers."
Old 12 August 2014, 03:00 PM

You can order all that stuff on eBay. It's super cheap and it'll only take 8 weeks to arrive in the mail from China!
Old 12 August 2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
You can order all that stuff on eBay. It's super cheap and it'll only take 8 weeks to arrive in the mail from China!
Now why didn't I think of paying 12 dollars shipping on a part that costs 5 dollars and only weighs 2 ounces?

I had to get a 1/16" audio jack coupler to kludge a fix to a TV system at the hospital where I worked. I figured, after the issue was unresolved for 2 months, paying 5 or 6 bucks out of pocket for a part that works but looks ugly beats leaving the issue unresolved for even longer as we try to get through the red tape involved in getting the correct parts delivered. Radio Shack was the only place I could conceive of getting that part. More importantly, I really needed to get a close up look and handle it with my own hands to make sure I was getting the right part.
Old 12 August 2014, 03:19 PM

Also, it's hard to buy on ebay when you don't know the terms. At Radio Shack, I could just hold up the two cords and say "make these talk to each other."
Old 12 August 2014, 03:34 PM

You can buy a surprising array of items from China on ebay. The prices are surprisingly low and often shipping is free. The shipping time is also much shorter than I would expect, no worse than buying from a slow seller in the US.

That said, I try not to buy from Chinese sellers because at those prices, someone is working for slave wages.

The thing I love about Radio Shack is that its the only place one can walk in off the street and buy a lot of electronic components. I wouldn't even know where else to go. It used to be that the sales people were very knowledgeable, but lately I have not found that to be the case.
Old 12 August 2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
If g-you think it's immoral for fathers and sons to talk to each other about sex, g-you need help.
While I agree with this statement, the commercials are not fathers and sons talking about sex, but rather cheap jokes made by making us think that is what is happening.
Old 12 August 2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Adapters especially. Where will I go to say "I have a [gadget] and a [different kind of gadget], and I need to connect them -- what do I need?"
Agreed. Unfortunately, no one buys any big ticket items from Radio Shack, and I would think margins on connectors, cables and such would be pretty slim.

That being said, Radio Shack has become my go-to for headphones. If you go to Best Buy, they only have Beats and Bose. My daughter wanted over the ear headphones, and I am not paying $300 a pair for them. You can get a nice pair of headphones at the Shack for around $20. They aren't high end, but they do a reasonably good job of getting sound from her music player to her ears.
Old 12 August 2014, 04:07 PM

One thing that sickens me about American Society, if it offends the wrong person, a huge fire storm happens.
Old 12 August 2014, 04:11 PM

When my daughter was working at Radio Shack, cellphone sales were a big part of their business.
Old 12 August 2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Getting back to the OP, when people say "young boys" I don't think "teenagers."
Yes, I expected young boys posing in Abercrombie type shots, but the commercial itself wasn't anything like the headline. It's arguably crass, but it's joking about adolescence, not objectifying children (IMO).
Old 12 August 2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
Agreed. Unfortunately, no one buys any big ticket items from Radio Shack, and I would think margins on connectors, cables and such would be pretty slim.

That being said, Radio Shack has become my go-to for headphones. If you go to Best Buy, they only have Beats and Bose. My daughter wanted over the ear headphones, and I am not paying $300 a pair for them. You can get a nice pair of headphones at the Shack for around $20. They aren't high end, but they do a reasonably good job of getting sound from her music player to her ears.
And it was the only place I could find replacement fabric covers for Walkman-style headphones after the original ones shredded beyond use, which they invariably did.(I haven't been to RS in years, so I don't know if that's still true).
Old 12 August 2014, 08:55 PM

Not eBay - but Amazon. Anything I need from Radio Shack, I can get from Amazon in 2 days, much cheaper, and nobody pushes really hard to sell me the extended warranty.
Old 12 August 2014, 09:40 PM

Cell Phone

Even CEO Can't Figure Out How RadioShack Still In Business

Quote:
"There must be some sort of business model that enables this company to make money, but I'll be damned if I know what it is," Day said. "You wouldn't think that people still buy enough strobe lights and extension cords to support an entire nationwide chain, but I guess they must, or I wouldn't have this desk to sit behind all day."
http://www.theonion.com/articles/eve...ill-in-b,2190/