snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 07 August 2014, 06:33 PM

Roll eyes Unhijackable

My medical adventures continue. I just got an appointment to go see a doctor who is otherwise booked into November. My GP talked him into seeing me.

The appointment is in the middle of the very first company-wide paralegal conference we've had, so I'll end up missing almost half of it, which is a bummer.

Also, one of my coworkers, whom I'd never met face to face, was going to be at the conference but now she's not, because (as of yesterday) she's left the company. I hate when that happens.

Seaboe
Old 07 August 2014, 07:09 PM

Icon102

Colored contacts are really super expensive compared to non colored ones.
Old 07 August 2014, 11:57 PM

So, someone was stabbed a few blocks from my house and the suspect was shot by a police officer. News story here. I recognize that apartment building in the background of the second photo in that news story.

I always joking called my neighborhood "inner city Folsom" (The joke being that Folsom is pretty much all suburban sprawl, so calling any section that is kind of ridiculous). It is an older area that feels somewhat more working class that the rest of the city, but I never felt like it was unsafe or anything. Overall Folsom has some of the lowest crime rates in California.
Old 08 August 2014, 05:03 AM

It's midnight, and I'm having a craving for cup o'noodles.

I think it's time for bed.
Old 08 August 2014, 02:09 PM

Glasses

Wilda, past tense? Do you now feel it's unsafe?

Seaboe
Old 08 August 2014, 02:22 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBean View Post
Colored contacts are really super expensive compared to non colored ones.
You might already know all this but there's some really cheap alternatives (there's often a stall down at the mall selling coloured contacts for $20 or so) and there's a good chance they'd work perfectly fine but there's also a non-zero chance that they could badly mess up your eyes on a longterm basis. I've heard some real horror stories about cheap coloured contacts.

So yeah, the professionally supplied coloured contacts might be really expensive but the peace of mind is worth it.
Old 08 August 2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Wilda, past tense? Do you now feel it's unsafe?

Seaboe
No, not really, but it's just surprising that something like that would happen around here.

ETA: From the latest reports it sounds like a domestic argument that went wrong, not a random attack.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 08 August 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08 August 2014, 06:37 PM

Glasses

On the way to the cafeteria this morning I heard someone says "The head CEO even goes down each morning to taste the slurry." Well, it may have been test the slurry, but the point is, he actually said the head CEO. I also heard someone actually say PIN number the other day (most people I've heard have adapted to the fact that's redundant and they just say PIN).

I just needed to get those out of my system.

Seaboe
Old 08 August 2014, 09:31 PM

Ha! My register has a prompt for the cashiers that says: "Have the customer enter their pin number". Irks me every time.
Old 08 August 2014, 10:15 PM

This has been the stupidest rollercoaster two weeks I have had in years. It was already up and down with negative and stressful things like the anniversary of my mother dying and a major house cleanup and purge with my in-laws buzzing around everywhere, and positive things like my secret elopement anniversary to David, his birthday, and my mother-in-law's birthday.

Last Friday saw bad news (a credit card bill of $180 that went 4 months in arrears because we were unknowingly switched to paperless billing), which became maybe salvageable (if we could get a credit report on our mortgage application before it was reported to the credit bureau), then irreversibly bad (it hit the credit bureau) with years of repercussions, including not being able to buy our house which needs to be settled this month or the landlady needs us to move out ASAP. David has been a depressed wreck over it. I have been willfully naive and annoyingly optimistic about somehow convincing those in charge to help us fix while internally devastated at how things were spiraling helplessly away.

Our bank really came through for us this week and I just got off the phone with our banker that they approved our mortgage application despite the tanked credit score, but that it still needs to be approved by the third party insurer because we have quite a bit less than 20% for a downpayment. The bank have put a note on the application that they are confident in us as borrowers and this was an accidental one-time oversight and that we are otherwise super good. If it turns up as a blip on the automated system and they get a call from the insurer they will go to bat with us for the insuring agency.

Fingers crossed.
Old 08 August 2014, 10:57 PM

Glasses

Good luck, Jenn.

I hate paperless billing. It's way too easy to miss a payment.

Seaboe
Old 08 August 2014, 11:34 PM

We hate it too. It's a pretty rarely used card and when there's no balance and no activity they don't send a statement at all. One phone call after the first missed payment would have had us on top of it, but instead they didn't contact us by mail until after they closed the account which immediately NFBSKs your credit score. It's so frustrating, especially since we each have another account with them so they can see this was a serious anomaly.
Old 08 August 2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
No, not really, but it's just surprising that something like that would happen around here.
Pretty much any time something like that happens, people say that they wouldn't expect it to "happen around here". That kind of violence is rarer than the media imply.

We tend to group everything that isn't "here" as "there", and so there are shootings and murders and warfare all the time "there", because we're hearing about all of them, all over the country or indeed world, and they're all "somewhere else". But they're "somewhere else" for nearly everybody. Nobody expects it to "happen around here".

Twenty years ago there was a double shotgun murder in the village I grew up in; one of the victims was a former classmate of mine. (He was killed, as far as I know, simply because he was out for a drink with the actual target. The motive was a dispute over a former girlfriend of one of the murderers who was now a partner of the other victim).

I didn't hear too much of the "not round here" stuff, but the local media at first assumed it was some kind of drug gang violence - one of the victims' surnames was a local, clearly (to me) English name. The last syllables were "-elly", unstressed in the obvious English pronunciation, but the newsreader pronounced it as "-ELLi" as though he (the victim) was a mafioso. The general media approach was "what are things coming to?!".

In fact, it was pretty much as old-fashioned a crime as you could get - local families having an argument and falling out over a woman, and (thanks to general stupidity) ending up with deaths and punishment. It didn't take long to get the killers, as they seem not to have been very clever either.

It was a sad event all round - the only person involved that I really knew was my former classmate, who was a pretty harmless guy; the intended victim was a year or two older than us and somebody you would avoid if you saw him coming into the pub, say - that would have been a sign to leave. The thing that surprised me most was that these two had been out drinking together - I didn't know they even knew each other, but I believe they were cousins or something.

So... I forget why I started writing this, but I think it was because it taught me a bit about random violence, the "not round here" reaction, and the media approach to covering this stuff. Nobody thinks it happens "round here", because for the most part it doesn't happen anywhere, and when it does happen "round here" it isn't always as obvious as you think either. Maybe nowadays there would be more of a media circus to draw attention to it.
Old 09 August 2014, 12:07 AM

From what Wildabeast posted later, this wasn't random violence, it was domestic violence -- which makes the "around here" idea even less relevant.
Old 09 August 2014, 02:03 AM

I feel stupid now... The showerhead I had in my bathroom had developed some issues, so I decided to replace it with a new hand shower, mainly because it was one of the few I could find that had the features I wanted (a water saving showerhead with a "pause" button to stop the flow of water what I don't actually need it). I ordered the actual hand shower part online, but it didn't come with the hose or holder, so I just bought those parts at Lowe's. When I put everything together last night the hand shower part didn't actually fit in the holder properly -- it just loosely rested there but would fall down if you bumped the hose. I typed up a long post in the stupid questions thread to ask what was wrong; did I buy the wrong parts (I assumed they were all standard parts that would work together but maybe not) or was there some other part I needed that I was missing? I included links to examples of the hand shower, holder, and hose. Then as I was looking at the picture of the hose it finally hit me -- I had attached the hand shower to the wrong end of the hose. The other end of the hose had the part that was designed to fit in the holder.
Old 09 August 2014, 04:33 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
You might already know all this but there's some really cheap alternatives (there's often a stall down at the mall selling coloured contacts for $20 or so) and there's a good chance they'd work perfectly fine but there's also a non-zero chance that they could badly mess up your eyes on a longterm basis. I've heard some real horror stories about cheap coloured contacts.

So yeah, the professionally supplied coloured contacts might be really expensive but the peace of mind is worth it.
I work for an optometrist's office, so I'm well aware of the dangers. There is no way in hell I'd buy colored contacts from a stall. My post came from the observation of a patient wanting to buy some, then complaining about the price. The only ones we sell are biweeklies, so they are overall more expensive. The ones for astigmatism are even more so, nearly double. I just can't wrap my head around that.
Old 09 August 2014, 06:42 PM

I'm just going to dump this here and walk away.

My oldest daughter has been diagnosed with, in her words, a highly treatable form of cancer, hodgkin's lymphoma. It is stage one, she is doing well and the prognosis is optimistic. At this point they have her on a targeted drug program which might be all she needs. Cautionary optimism is what we have, but I am mentally preparing myself for a temporary move to Baltimore if needed.

Seemingly in the same instant my daughter got her diagnosis a close friend of mine got into an ugly situation with her housing. She, her kids and the kid's father have been living in a house owned by the father's mother. They were paying rent, but by all accounts a couple months were missed. Mom moved back in (from Georgia), with no warning and told them they had to leave. It is about a 9 on the scale of illegal evictions, but her son doesn't want to cause problems so they have agreed to move out.

They are temporarily living with me, so I went from living alone to living with two adults, a three year old and an 18 month old, plus a dog. As if that situation couldn't get worse the mother decided that she wasn't happy because they refused to leave their furniture behind for her to sleep in and started to change the locks. The police were called, there was a lot of yelling and ugliness. We hope to have them moved out today.

So that's my life lately.
Old 09 August 2014, 07:33 PM

Yikes. All the vibes to your daughter and friend (and you). You're a good friend to take them in during this stressful time. I hope they're considerate houseguests. And I hope things work out with your daughter. A friend of mine from college beat thyroid cancer a couple years ago. She too was lucky to catch it early, and the worst part of it all was the financial stress because her insurance company kept jerking her around. Here's hoping your daughter has a similarly speedy recovery and an easier time with the logistics of her treatment.
Old 10 August 2014, 02:47 PM

Day before yesterday, my young tortie, Purrl, was coughing quite a bit. I worried me so I took her to the vet yesterday. It may be kitty asthma - the circumstances in which she was found may have put her at risk for that. They gave her a shot and she seems to be doing well today.

Last night I was looking at my old tortie, Lydia, and I realized she has a rather large growth just below her ear. She is 14 and has hyperthyroidism which has resulted in high blood pressure, both of which I give her medication for. The high blood pressure has resulted in detached retinas, so I don't now how much she can see. Lately she has seemed a little confused and I am afraid she is close to the end. I don't know how much treatment I want to put her through.

My 18 year old ginger boy seems to be doing ok at the moment, at least.
Old 10 August 2014, 09:55 PM

Teacher

I was just watching the 2013 Lone Ranger movie which is mostly set in 1869 and at one point there's a wacky scene where Tonto mentions that that the pickles in the bar aren't refrigerated and that obvious futuristic anachronism totally ruined my immersion in the scene. So I paused the film to check the etymology and it turns out that the word 'refrigerate' was first used in 1534 so I guess I owe Tonto an apology.

Even if I'd been right I guess Tonto is allowed to break rules like that since [spoiler] at one point in 1869 he puts down a circus peanuts wrapper that was given to him in a flash forward to 1933, so I guess he's not bound by the laws of time like ordinary folk.
Closed Thread