snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 05 August 2014, 10:50 PM

Default Memes that annoy you

Carrying over from the old thread:

Quote:
"I was spanked as a child. As a result, I grew up with a psychological disorder called 'respect for others.'"

Uh-huh. Because it's so not possible to raise respectful children without the use of corporal punishment.
My wife's sister and brother in law started in on this over the weekend. "Why do we do time outs these days? We got our asses beat when we were kids, and we're healthy, functional adults!"

I don't know if I can blame it on the beatings or not, but they are not healthy, functional adults! I can PM details if you want.
Old 05 August 2014, 10:54 PM

A lot of people make much ado about how they turned out just fine. Even if they did (which may be dubious), that doesn't mean everyone would, or that there aren't better ways.

Example: I grew up with lead paint and I turned out just fine!

Okay...but using not-lead paint hurts you how?
Old 06 August 2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
A lot of people make much ado about how they turned out just fine. Even if they did (which may be dubious), that doesn't mean everyone would, or that there aren't better ways.

Example: I grew up with lead paint and I turned out just fine!

Okay...but using not-lead paint hurts you how?
http://flashbak.com/8-reasons-childr...l-be-dead-323/
Old 07 August 2014, 12:36 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
The writers of these "I did dangerous activity and I turned out okay" screeds always ignore that it was people of their generation that invented most of the safety devices they're bitching about.
Old 07 August 2014, 12:39 AM

Sadly, a large amount of people that post "I got spanked and I grew up as a respectful person" also seem to post memes that decry Mr. Rodgers for telling kids "you are special," meaning they don't have to be polite and courteous to others because the world revolves around them.

I wonder what version they watched, if any, because the Mr. Rodgers I watched (and still do when I'm feeling bad) seemed to be pretty good about saying things like "What you say and do affects others, so be careful," or "Just because someone is different doesn't mean that's bad. It just means they're different."

I have also seen ones like "Child was running around shrieking in the pharmacy. What would Mr. Rodgers say?"
IDK, something like, "It's ok to play sometimes, but sometimes we also need to think about how others feel."
Old 07 August 2014, 12:53 AM

Default ee

You know I don't think that particular link was a "screed". I think it was pretty tongue in cheek/satirical/ironic? Something, but I don't think the author really was all on board with the whole, "See I lived" thing.
Old 07 August 2014, 01:29 AM

What I find funny about the "in my day we got spanked and it was a good thing" meme is that pretty much from baby boomer days onwards spanking has been frowned upon (to put it mildly) as a way of punishing a child. Being anti spanking isn't exactly a recent phenomenon.
Old 07 August 2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
You know I don't think that particular link was a "screed". I think it was pretty tongue in cheek/satirical/ironic? Something, but I don't think the author really was all on board with the whole, "See I lived" thing.
Agree. I think the link is more "Can you BELIEVE the sh!t our parents did" than "Kids today are wusses".
Old 07 August 2014, 04:28 AM

A friend of mine posted one of those the other day about discipline in school back in her day. We're the same age and went to the same school, and while 1992 might seem to be ancient history some days, teachers were not getting away with slapping students or dumping them out of their desks. I think she's remembering her grandparents childhood.
Old 07 August 2014, 04:36 AM

Jaded

Quote:
"I was spanked as a child. As a result, I grew up with a psychological disorder called 'respect for others.'"
I got spanked as a child, and I think it was one of the least effective punishments imaginable -- it was over in a few seconds, and then I was back to whatever I was doing.
Old 07 August 2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I got spanked as a child, and I think it was one of the least effective punishments imaginable -- it was over in a few seconds, and then I was back to whatever I was doing.
I learned it was better to hide the evidence and deny any knowledge of any misdemeanor. If the person doing the spanking cares about not leaving any marks, eventually they'll give up.

Which led to a very funny story about my bachelor party, before I got married.

Old 07 August 2014, 10:54 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
My Dad gave me the choice. Did I want a spanking or to get grounded. At one point I figured out that a spanking was over in seconds and it's aftermath lasted less than a few minutes. The first time I opted for the spanking was the last time the offer was made.

If I could do it all over again with my boys, they would have never been spanked by me, not that they often were.
Old 08 August 2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
A friend of mine posted one of those the other day about discipline in school back in her day. We're the same age and went to the same school, and while 1992 might seem to be ancient history some days, teachers were not getting away with slapping students or dumping them out of their desks. I think she's remembering her grandparents childhood.
I finished school in 1978. We had very some violent teachers. Slapping, thumping, demeaning, were all part of the program. I actually cheered when I heard my old headmaster had died. He was a violent perverted thug and the world became a better place when he died.
We had one brute who became the rent-a-thug for the others. He'd be sent for if any of us dared to stand up to the slaps.
Old 08 August 2014, 12:53 AM

It also varies regionally. I graduated high school in 1988, and all through my schooling corporal punishment was allowed in school. That includes through high school, and included using a wooden paddle.
Old 08 August 2014, 06:08 PM

Baseball

I too graduated in '88. And while corporal punishment (the strap) was allowed at least until '79, by the time I got to high school, it was a distant memory.

In my years at school, I knew the strap was deployed once. In '79, my brother and I were threatened with it due to a school yard sibling dust up we were involved in. We were both dragged to the office by our ears (really, our ears) and the teacher kept saying that if there was a reason to use the strap, this was it.

My only consolation was knowing that my Mom would rip the school apart brick by brick if they used the strap on us. But it still scared us because we thought that we'd get the strap and then Mom would come, but we'd still get the strap.

Turns out that the principal had no intention of using the strap. He only wanted us to realise the idiocy of our fighting in the school yard.

I'd say it was maturity that turned us both into respectable adults, not the threat of physical violence.
Old 08 August 2014, 06:21 PM

Canada

I went to school in Quebec and the last time I ever remember anyone getting the strap was circa 1969 (I have to say if anyone actually could be said to deserve the strap it was that kid - as I recall his crime involved knocking another kid's front teeth out). I thought corporal punishment had actually been abolished by the time I got into high school but doing a quick google search tells me it wasn't abolished in Quebec until sometime in the '90s. This surprises me very much but it's possible getting rid of the strap was a school board by school board decision.
Old 08 August 2014, 06:46 PM

Corporal punishment was still robustly practiced at the elementary schools I attended in Indiana in the 70s.
Old 08 August 2014, 06:51 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Corporal punishment was still robustly practiced at the elementary schools I attended in Indiana in the 70s.
This description gives it a whole new level of "Egads, what were we thinking?" about punishment in schools.
Old 08 August 2014, 07:04 PM

I've heard some horror stories from my dad in school in the 50s and 60s. I guess he had issues with authority (oddly enough, the fact that his teachers hit him and otherwise abused him didn't make him a more respectful student. It made him drop out at 15). With my friend's post, I was rolling my eyes about the fact that we shared the same school experience, and it most definitely didn't involve the strap.

On top of that, there was something along the lines of 'my school wasn't fancy...'

Yeah. We went to a brand new school in one of the wealthiest areas of a city you had to be pretty well off to live. Our building was a few blocks from the beach. Now, her family's personal finances might have been a different story (I know my parents weren't as rich as most of my peers) but calling a school with a multi-million dollar theatre and one of the best writing programs in the country (among other things) 'not fancy' was really, really stretching it. Posting memes that make it sound like she went to a one room schoolhouse when our experience was closer to Beverly Hills 90210 is just silly.
Old 08 August 2014, 08:28 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
...but calling a school with a multi-million dollar theatre and one of the best writing programs in the country (among other things) 'not fancy' ....
I don't think either of those things make a school fancy. Every school in my inner city school district has a multi-million dollar theater. A great writing program only requires a couple talented and motivated teachers. They have those in the not fancy schools too.

I think fancy is a weird word to use in regard to a school. A lot of the older inner city schools look rather fancy to me when compared to many of the newer boxy and unimaginative schools.
Closed Thread