snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 24 October 2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
I work in a building called Park Tower. There's one tall building, across from a park. Everyone, including myself on occasional, my fellow employees, and our bosses calls the place Park Towers. The people who live there call it Park Towers. There's ... there's only one building!
So what you're saying is that Park Tower is only one tower, but it's a tall tower that towers over the park. Of course, if you park in front of the tower, then the Park Tower towers over your parked car and over the park. But the parked car is not in the park, unless it is, in which case your car parked on the park in front of the Park Tower that towers over the park will be pulled away from the park by a tower. Do I have that right?
Old 24 October 2014, 06:46 PM

Some anecdotes from my experience: when I was a high school junior visiting college campuses, I heard from a number of smaller schools that they toss applications that mis-identify them as "X University" when they are really "X College." However, when I worked in various mid-level restaurants, we frequently interviewed people who expressed an interest in working for "Y Restrant" [sic] when we were really "Y Diner," though of course people who did their homework and could speak accurately about the type of food we offered were more likely to get hired as servers.
Old 24 October 2014, 08:44 PM

There's a bar near here called Slainte, which is basically Gaelic for "Cheers." It drives me crazy when people call it Slainte's.
Old 24 October 2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post

I knew a guy in college there who was from Silver Spring, MD, but people called it "Silver Springs." There's only one spring! So he got it both ways.
Doesn't help that there's a town right around the beltway called Camp Springs. The company I work for has an office in both places, so it gets interesting.
Old 25 October 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
My wife and I call it "Wall's mart"

When I first heard it mentioned in American shows I thought it was a hardware store, you know a place go go to fix your wall. In my defence I wasn't giving it a lot a thought and the conversations wasn't really about what they bought, just that they had been there. If I had given it any though at all I would wonder why the went to a hardware store so much. Or infact why they were going at all since they weren't really doing any home repair. But if asked "What is Walmart" I would have answered "An American hardware store"

Still sounds like it should sell hardware to me.
Old 25 October 2014, 12:54 PM

Huh. I've always thought of that terminal "s" as possessive, rather than plural. So if my neighbor said, "I'm going to Kroger's," I'd kind of mentally translate that as a contraction of "I'm going to Kroger's store," or, "Kroger's grocery," or something like that.

I have no idea why.
Old 25 October 2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post
Huh. I've always thought of that terminal "s" as possessive, rather than plural. So if my neighbor said, "I'm going to Kroger's," I'd kind of mentally translate that as a contraction of "I'm going to Kroger's store," or, "Kroger's grocery," or something like that.

I have no idea why.
We have a fun wrinke here in Chicago. There's a grocery chain called Jewel, which for old school locals is "the Jewels", as in "I'm gonna stop at the Jewels after work."
Old 25 October 2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
There's a grocery chain called Jewel, which for old school locals is "the Jewels"
Is it family owned?
Old 25 October 2014, 06:58 PM

Nope, it's actually a subsidiary of Albertsons. In fact, it's not even named after someone named "Jewel", the original name was the Jewel Tea Co. (I don't believe that "the" was part of the official name).

I mean, everyone calls it "the Jewel", but some people add the "s". We don't do it to any other names - it's not "wal-marts" or "Targets" or anything.
Old 25 October 2014, 07:22 PM

Roadsterboy, I was trying to be funny, but apparently missed. I gather you haven't heard the slang phrase "the family jewels". -- and, on googling it, apparently a lot of other people haven't either, at least unless they like punning: the first page of results brings up mostly that it's the name of a music album, a vintage clothing store, and a movie. The sense I was thinking of was slang for testicles.
Old 25 October 2014, 07:24 PM

Hmm. We have a chain here called Fred Meyer. (It is now owned by Kroger, as it happens). I always say it correctly if I use the full name, but I also frequently call it "Freddy's." For me it's definitely a possessive s, which makes it shorthand for Freddy's store.
Old 25 October 2014, 09:01 PM

Incidentally, I've put in a job application at Fred Meyer in the past, and while I can't speak for other Kroger subsidiaries, at Freddie's at least they say online applications only.

So if you put in an application via snail mail, it's likely that they'll just shred it.
Old 25 October 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Hmm. We have a chain here called Fred Meyer. (It is now owned by Kroger, as it happens). I always say it correctly if I use the full name, but I also frequently call it "Freddy's." For me it's definitely a possessive s, which makes it shorthand for Freddy's store.
It's like "Vinnies" here, for the St Vincent de Paul charity. The term is commonly used informally, but they actually use the term themselves on the signs on some of their shops.

Quote:
So if you put in an application via snail mail, it's likely that they'll just shred it.
Isn't there some rule under privacy legislation that unsuccessful applications can not be retained.
Old 25 October 2014, 11:41 PM

I have no idea. My point was that they don't accept applications via standard mail to begin with, regardless of whether you spell it Kroger or Kroger's.
Old 26 October 2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I have no idea. My point was that they don't accept applications via standard mail to begin with, regardless of whether you spell it Kroger or Kroger's.
Yes, but I was speaking generally about applications, not just this company.
Old 26 October 2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rujasu View Post
Do I have that right?
That made me laugh at the end of a long, long day.