mail and it has the companies name as Krogers, so the HR dept will not
open it, just shred it, after all the person who wants to work for the
company must know how to spell the companies name and Krogers is not
correct.

I have heard this from people I know who work at the Cincinnati HQ of
Kroger..
Old 06 January 2014, 04:27 PM

Jaded

People typically add a terminal 's' to non-possessive business names and surnames that sound like they should have them.

The department store is Nordstrom, not Nordstrom's, but even the major media render it incorrectly:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1563497

The singer of "Those Were the Days" was Mary Hopkin, not Mary Hopkins, but her name pops up on plenty of music sites in the latter form:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/those-wer...y-hopkins.html
Old 06 January 2014, 04:30 PM

Christopher "Reeves" and Donna "Summers" are also frequently subject to that. In the former's case, I can understand confusion with George Reeves, who played Superman in the TV series.
Old 06 January 2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
People typically add a terminal 's' to names that sound like they should have them.
And they drop the terminal 's' from names that sound like they shouldn't have them. See "John Hopkins University". (It's Johns.)

I knew a guy in college there who was from Silver Spring, MD, but people called it "Silver Springs." There's only one spring! So he got it both ways.
Old 06 January 2014, 04:33 PM

Presumably the HR department would have to open the letter to check that it was a job application, since they must get other mail at times that they wouldn't want to risk shredding just because the sender got the store name wrong on the envelope.

It doesn't sound an unreasonable way to filter out the first lot of applicants, though. Companies can get far too many to read them all. Although surely not by post these days...
Old 06 January 2014, 06:34 PM

I might not shred resumes, but it would definitely be a point off for the applicant. When I managed the card store (which was not Hallmark), I once had a job applicant who called us Hallmark in her cover letter. When I corrected her, she argued that we were a division of Hallmark, then actually told me I was wrong when I told her we were Hallmark's direct competition and had nothing to do with them, other than selling the same products. I think she still left the store thinking I was an idiot who obviously didn't know that all card stores were Hallmark.

eta: I've noticed that the 's' thing seems to be a generational thing. My grandparents will always shop at 'Safeways' instead of Safeway. I don't know anyone much younger than that who does that. Was it more common in the past to use names ending in 'S' (usually making it clear it was a family name), meaning businesses without might be more likely to sound 'wrong' to someone from earlier generations? I keep thinking of one Mad Men episode where Martinson's coffee talked about dropping the 'S' to appear more modern - I was going to say that Mad Men might not be the best place to look for real world trends, but it looks like Martinson coffee did, in fact, lose their 's' at some point in their history.

Last edited by quink; 06 January 2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06 January 2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Christopher "Reeves" and Donna "Summers" are also frequently subject to that. In the former's case, I can understand confusion with George Reeves, who played Superman in the TV series.
Throw in some possessives and you really have a mess. The movies featured Reeve's depiction of Superman, but the TV version included Reeves's.
Old 06 January 2014, 07:02 PM

[fogie mode] When I was first learning how to prepare job applications and resumes back in high school, it was drilled into us that we needed to do our homework and know the correct spelling and pronunciation of the company name, as well as the name of the person who would be receiving our paperwork (no "Dear Sir" letters). We were told that many companies would discard any paperwork with spelling errors, as a way of narrowing down the number of applicants. I'm sure this technique is still used today, at least when it comes to people applying for entry-level jobs. Misspelling the company name is never a good first impression. [/fogie mode]
Old 06 January 2014, 08:19 PM

Icon106

Long ago, I saw an interview with (Sir) Cliff Richard in which he claimed he was advised to use "Richard" instead of "Richards" as his last name, because interviewers would most likely get it wrong, and he could then correct them, which would mean twice the name exposure. Not sure that it added much to his success.
Old 06 January 2014, 10:45 PM

Icon106

That's amusing when you consider that Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones went by the name "Keith Richard" for a while because the group's manager thought it sounded more like a pop star's name (due in large part to Cliff Richard).
Old 06 January 2014, 10:49 PM

Sometimes you can drop an s and add an apostrophe in the same name, as in "John Hopkin's".
Old 07 January 2014, 02:10 PM

Glasses

In reference to the OP, I'd certainly rather they shredded the job applications than tossed them in the recycle or trash, whatever their reason for discarding them.

Seaboe
Old 07 January 2014, 04:02 PM

I was going to say, they'd be breaking the law if they just casually discarded that sort of information here rather than shredding it. Not a law that I would necessarily expect to be enforced unless there was some aggravating circumstance involved (such as somebody finding and using the information), but it would count as a breach of the Data Protection Act.
Old 08 January 2014, 11:31 PM

I usually call Walmart "Walmart's" just to drive my wife crazy.
Old 21 October 2014, 10:07 AM

I add an "S" when I talk but if I were applying for a job I'd at least look it up. Even a quick Google search would tell you.
Old 24 October 2014, 06:03 AM

I work in a building called Park Tower. There's one tall building, across from a park. Everyone, including myself on occasional, my fellow employees, and our bosses calls the place Park Towers. The people who live there call it Park Towers. There's ... there's only one building!
Old 24 October 2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
There's ... there's only one building!
That you can see.
Old 24 October 2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
And they drop the terminal 's' from names that sound like they shouldn't have them. See "John Hopkins University". (It's Johns.)

I knew a guy in college there who was from Silver Spring, MD, but people called it "Silver Springs." There's only one spring! So he got it both ways.
Conservation of letters. When the "s" falls off the "Johns" it makes it way forlornly down I-95 until it attaches on the "Spring."

Nick, still trying to figure out the "n" in Linthicum.
Old 24 October 2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42liter View Post
I usually call Walmart "Walmart's" just to drive my wife crazy.
My wife and I call it "Wall's mart"

Old 24 October 2014, 02:09 PM

Down here you can identify locals by what they call the local National Park. To most of the world, it is "Zion National Park". Local people call it "Zions National Park", or just "The Zions". There is even a Zions Bank.