snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 23 October 2013, 05:41 PM

Tsk, Tsk Why lies about Obama resist the truth

Quote:
If you want to know how someone like David Jackson could nurse an irrational fear of President Obama, you need only look to conservative FreedomWatch founder and CEO Larry Klayman. At the Million Vets March on Oct. 13 in Washington, he was the one who said, “I call upon all of you to wage a second American nonviolent revolution, to use civil disobedience, and to demand that this president leave town, to get up, to put the Quran down, to get up off his knees, and to figuratively come out with his hands up.”

There is so much wrong with Klayman’s remarks. But he was unapologetic during an Oct. 18 MSNBC interview with Martin Bashir. “As a journalist and as a writer, Martin, you know that those references were metaphoric,” he said, “but they ring true.” There was nothing metaphorical about what he said about Obama. When Bashir accused Klayman of spreading lies about the president, Klayman said something that explains why anti-Obama calumny persists despite ample evidence to the contrary. “You consider them to be lies, Martin,” he said. “I consider them to be true.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ist-the-truth/
Old 23 October 2013, 05:42 PM

Icon101

Quote:
“You consider them to be lies, Martin,” he said. “I consider them to be true.”
Old 23 October 2013, 05:50 PM

Well, that's a fair point. What else can you do about a disagreement like that other than "agree to disagree"? It's not like you can compare the things you're saying with reality to find out whether they match. I consider reality to be different from you...
Old 23 October 2013, 06:05 PM

Besides, comparisons to reality are unfair since reality has a well-known liberal bias.
Old 23 October 2013, 06:07 PM

It's not the lies that are resisting the truth.
Old 23 October 2013, 06:19 PM

As I was reading this, this comment came up:

Quote:
He supporter cannot say if the dude go to church or when the last time he gone to church, so from this dude that came to God late, it look like it was for appearances and not for the love of God. Does Obama as and alleged Christian in his position and with young black male murdering other young black men an obligation to be seen in church, just like he is expected to on Memorial Day be at the Tomb of the unknown soldier. There should be questions of his belief!
Emphasis mine.

*Facepalm*

I think lies spread because it's so easy to find people who have no skill whatsoever at figuring out the difference between fact and fiction, lawful requirement and sober tradition.
Obama and memorial day

ETA: and now for this wonderful addition

Quote:
Would gerrymandering them into concentration camps bring a smile to your face?
The debate has been godwinized.

Last edited by Alarm; 23 October 2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added link, and Godwin
Old 23 October 2013, 06:25 PM

Is it that they have no skill or no desire to figure out the difference? I myself think it is more of the latter as the lies support their own worldview.
Old 23 October 2013, 06:28 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
“First, there is no doubt that under Islamic law Obama is considered a Muslim, as his father was a Muslim.”
Even if this were true, so what? The U.S. isn't governed by "Islamic law," and other people saying they think Barack Obama is a Muslim doesn't make him a Muslim. It's almost as nonsensical and irrelevant as claiming that "Under Australian law, Barack Obama is considered a giraffe."
Old 23 October 2013, 06:32 PM

Quick, some country pass a law stating that "People named Klaymann who call people something are that same thing"

or as I like to call it, the "Rubber and Glue" law...
Old 24 October 2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
"Under Australian law, Barack Obama is considered a giraffe."
That would explain all the apricot and mimosa trees being planted around the White House. Sounds like he is planning on staying a while.
Old 24 October 2013, 01:43 PM

There is no doubt that under Godwin's law, Obama is considered to be Hitler. His father and mother were also Hitler.
Old 02 November 2013, 02:28 PM

I was "Facebook Friends" with a right-winger who claimed that because Obama's father was a Muslim, Obama must, according to Muslim law, publicly renounce Islam in order to not be a Muslim, and he hasn't done that, so he's a Muslim.

When I pointed out that non-Muslims generally don't feel the need to act according to Muslim law, he got confused.

He didn't just think Obama was "technically" a Muslim, but a practicing one. When I pointed out how Obama does things Muslim's can't do (drink beer, claim to be of another religion, etc.), he said he just does those things to hide the fact that he's a Muslim. The funniest moment was when he claimed that the fact that Obama won't fly with his dog, Bo, proves he's a Muslim. When I pointed to online news articles showing that he has flown with Bo at times, he again claimed Obama only did so to hide the fact that he's a Muslim.

This guy also thought Obama was gay (even though that's forbidden under Islam, also). He did, amazingly, agree that Obama was born in Hawaii, but still thought the birth certificate was fake. And even though he agreed Obama was born in the US, he thought Obama wasn't an American citizen, convinced that he lost his citizenship during the five years or so that he lived in Indonesia.

I have since de-friended the guy.
Old 02 November 2013, 02:35 PM

Whether or not the Obamas are particularly devout, I can understand why, if one were wanting to worship and one were in a position like POTUS, going to church wouldn't be the best way to accomplish it, necessarily. You have an entourage; everybody wants to talk to you. You really can't have a moment's peace for reflection or prayer or whatever. Different people have different expectations of church, so I realize the communal aspect is also important, but being mobbed by people was, as I have understood it, why Elvis didn't go to church after a certain point, even though he liked to get people together to sing gospel music with him and such.

Not saying this is Obama's motivation, but there are plenty of reasons that are not "doesn't really have faith" for a person not showing up to church.
Old 02 November 2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
He did, amazingly, agree that Obama was born in Hawaii, but still thought the birth certificate was fake.
I know somebody who accepts that the moon landings happened, but still thinks the photos are fake. He thinks it would have been impossible for astronauts to take good photos in those conditions with thick gloves and cumbersome helmets (after all, they weren't photographers) - even harder than it would have been to get to the moon in the first place, presumably. I still haven't quite worked that one out.
Old 02 November 2013, 02:42 PM

I was really saddened once to hear from that "he's not one of us; he didn't even grow up here" referring to his years overseas when he was small. I could barely believe that a family member would say that to me. I realized at that point that my own kids would never ever be "one of us" to some of us, even if they spend most of their lives in the states.

But I realized at that point why some on the right support people who spout clear untruths even when they know the truth. They justify it in that way. "Well he might not be Kenyan or Indonesian but it's almost the same since he actually lived abroad..."
Old 02 November 2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Whether or not the Obamas are particularly devout, I can understand why, if one were wanting to worship and one were in a position like POTUS, going to church wouldn't be the best way to accomplish it, necessarily. You have an entourage; everybody wants to talk to you. You really can't have a moment's peace for reflection or prayer or whatever.
The entourage, etc. might also have a negative affect on other congregants' experience of church.
Old 02 November 2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I. The funniest moment was when he claimed that the fact that Obama won't fly with his dog, Bo, proves he's a Muslim. When I pointed to online news articles showing that he has flown with Bo at times, he again claimed Obama only did so to hide the fact that he's a Muslim.

So the Koran bans Muslims from flying with a dog, but allows Muslims to keep dogs in their home?

Got it.
Old 02 November 2013, 06:20 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I was really saddened once to hear from that "he's not one of us; he didn't even grow up here" referring to his years overseas when he was small.
Heaven forbid a U.S. president should actually have some real-life experience with the world outside the U.S.
Old 02 November 2013, 10:51 PM

United States

Yes, that was another shocking thing. I realized that the same person - and lots of other Americans - would view me as suspicious and, well, unamerican just because I don't live there. Some time later I remember a tea party friend trying desperately to explain to his Facebook friends that I wasn't a foreigner (after I commented that I didn't like the idea of police being allowed to inspect the IDs of "foreigners" on a whim because I'd experienced it and the 'friends' jumped all over me). For some reason some of them seemed to think that it was either impossible or traitorous to live outside the states. (The same tea party guy - who was also part of the Bush 2 admin - is married to a woman he met overseas and hasn't become a US citizen. I wonder if they treat her even worse.)
Old 04 November 2013, 08:22 AM

Bang Head

Quote:
I was "Facebook Friends" with a right-winger who claimed that because Obama's father was a Muslim, Obama must, according to Muslim law, publicly renounce Islam in order to not be a Muslim, and he hasn't done that, so he's a Muslim.
That's so wrong on multiple levels. For one thing, the president's father wasn't a Muslim when the president was born. Here's how the president describes him:
Quote:
"My father was almost entirely absent from my childhood, having been divorced from my mother when I was 2 years old; in any event, although my father had been raised a Muslim, by the time he met my mother he was a confirmed atheist, thinking religion to be so much superstition."
In addition, he was also an Anglican for a few years.
Quote:
When he (Barack, Sr.) was about six years old and attending a Christian missionary school, the boy converted to Anglicanism when strongly encouraged by the staff. He changed his name from "Baraka" to the more Christian-sounding "Barack".
Second, the notion that Islam passes from father to son is false. (More here and here.)

Quote:
When I pointed out that non-Muslims generally don't feel the need to act according to Muslim law, he got confused.
Right. I wonder if they realize they're insulting our laws and constitution when they make those claims.

Brian