snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 06 January 2007, 09:38 PM

Default "Forbidden Planet" proto-glurge?

http://www.misterkitty.org/extras/st...dcomics30.html

I just found this on Misterkitty's Stupid Comics page. It's a comic from the '70s that bears a stong resemblance to the glurge of today, in that it makes a ludicrous attempt to turn some random thing into an allegory for Jesus. In this case, it's '50s B-movie classic "The Forbidden Planet!"
Old 06 January 2007, 09:43 PM
ibroxmassive

Archeglurgicists have dated the Glurge through groundbreaking dating processes, mainly carbon caramel testing...
Old 06 January 2007, 09:56 PM

Default Wrong steal

But.... But... Forbidden Planet is traditionally considered to be a shamesless steal of "The Tempest"

http://www.film.u-net.com/Movies/Rev...en_Planet.html

Blues
Old 06 January 2007, 10:33 PM
lazerus the duck

[hijack] A shamless plug for one of the best musicals out there. Return to the Forbidden Planet[/hijack]
Old 07 January 2007, 02:01 AM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibroxmassive View Post
Archeglurgicists have dated the Glurge through groundbreaking dating processes, mainly carbon caramel testing...
True caramels abhor glurge and glurge retaled products. Only heretic caramels would be involved
Old 07 January 2007, 04:01 AM
vison

Much is being revealed to me that was previously unknown. Glurge. Scifi glurge? Hm. Well, what was that novel by James Blish? About the world without sin, and it turned out to be a creation of . . . . . .Satan!!!????
Old 07 January 2007, 06:01 AM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vison View Post
Much is being revealed to me that was previously unknown. Glurge. Scifi glurge? Hm. Well, what was that novel by James Blish? About the world without sin, and it turned out to be a creation of . . . . . .Satan!!!????
A Case of Consience.

Sister "one of my favorite books" Ray
Old 08 January 2007, 08:41 PM
ibroxmassive

Molasses radiation testing? Heretic Caramels sounds like the name of a rock album.
Old 08 January 2007, 10:42 PM

Anyone else got the theme from Rocky Horror stuck in their head now?
Old 09 January 2007, 12:14 AM

One of the oddest of these cross sci-fi/religion frankenprojects is by ORson Scott Card who has basically rewritten the Book of Mormon into a sci-fi novel. I believe it is the Homecoming series.
Old 09 January 2007, 08:23 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
Anyone else got the theme from Rocky Horror stuck in their head now?
Yes. *cries*
Old 15 February 2007, 01:47 PM
Quantum Leap2

Icon605

Seriously, this is the sluttiest Christian comic I’ve ever seen. It was published by the Children of God, AKA The Family, a California-based religious cult that practiced “flirty fishing” – otherwise known as “hookers for Jesus”. The Family’s free-love theology was detailed in comic-book form, some of which make FORBIDDEN PLANET seem downright pious.
My only question is, how the hell do you do an entire comic about the movie Forbidden Planet and forget to include the star –Robby The Robot??

This is from the web site, not from me.
Old 16 February 2007, 09:19 AM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Leap2 View Post
My only question is, how the hell do you do an entire comic about the movie Forbidden Planet and forget to include the star –Robby The Robot??
This is from the web site, not from me.
I'm convinced the author of the comic never saw Forbidden Planet because he gets virtually every plot detail wrong. About the only thing he does get right is that there is a scientist with a daughter. For example, here are some things the comic states:
Quote:
We've just be watching an interesting film, "Forbidden Planet!" (sic)
Liar.
Quote:
This picture begins with this space ship of Americans.
Wrong. The narration clearly says the crew represents the United Planets, not the United Sates. (Besides, the star of the movie is Canadian, of course. )
Quote:
The most amazing machine of all was the though machine, & they could create things by just wishing them! It was all very nice at the the beginning when they were creating lovely meals & pet tigers & all that sort of thing.
This is so wrong I don't know where to begin. First, Dr. Morbius ("the mad scientist," who was not a mad scientist) didn't even know that the Krell (the extinct aliens) had finished the "thought machine" so he could have hardly have been knowingly creating stuff with it. Second, it's clearly stated in the movie that all the Earth animals (like tiger) were descendants of specimens brought back by the Krell thousands of years ago.
Quote:
And it seemed to hint that the higher civilization that had existed on the planet before had done the same thing & had used these monsters to protect them from other invaders & so on, but finally they turned on them & wiped them all out!
WTF? The movie explicitly states that the Krell were peaceful and hadn't experienced any kind of violence for millennia. The whole point of the movie is that the Krell machine tapped into the subconscious mind, creating the violent and destructive "monsters from the id." Again, it's clearly stated that they Krell had no idea their own subconscious minds were killing them.
Quote:
So the moral is that the evil imaginations of evil minds can be recreated by science & have been today.
Um, no. I imagine it's too much to expect from the author of the comic to realize that the name of the doomed colonists' ship, the Bellerophon, was a not-so-subtle clue about the movie's theme.
So, I assume the author of the web site in the OP was joking because forgetting Robby was the least of the things wrong with that comic.
Brian
Old 17 February 2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Tabby View Post
In this case, it's '50s B-movie classic "The Forbidden Planet!"
B-Movie????

Actually, "Forbidden Planet" is one of the best science fiction films ever made, at least in the pre-2001 era. It has realistic characters and a thoughtful plot, and the visuals actually hold up pretty well even today (apart from perhaps the flying-saucer exterior of the spaceship -- but the interiors are terrific). Of course a lot of the specifics are dated, but that's true even of much more recently done SF.

Though I may be one of the only people who thinks the film would have been better off without Robby the Robot....I see him, and the ship's cook, as extraneous comic relief. (Fusel oil, indeed!)

Last edited by E. Q. Taft; 17 February 2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 17 February 2007, 01:26 AM
lazerus the duck

Quote:
Wrong. The narration clearly says the crew represents the United Planets, not the United Sates. (Besides, the star of the movie is Canadian, of course. )
Robby was Canadian?