snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 15 October 2013, 12:20 AM

Default "The Walking Dead" Season 4 - spoilers

No thread yet?

I watched the show last night (had a choice of watching Downton Abbey or Walking Dead first, I stupidly chose Downton Abbey so that I went to bed with zombies in my brain.

I was very pleased with this episode, which could have been titled, "It's Raining Zombies".

- Carol and Darryl. I'm liking Carol more and more. I would be very pleased if the characters with rhyming names hooked up. I've been waiting for it for a few seasons now, but I'm happy to keep waiting for a while.

- Carol's Day Care For Children Who Need To Learn How To Stab And Stuff.

- The helicopter collapsing through the roof and zombies raining into the supermarket.

Interesting:

- Maggie and Glenn's discussion about living vs existing.

- 0 days without an accident.

- Beth no longer cries.

- Harry Potter zombifying in the shower at midnight.

At first I thought the Irish woman Rick met in the woods was a zombie hallucination of Rick's; that she would go for him when he handed her the food package. Of course I was suss the whole time (as was Rick) about her motives. I really like Herschel's voice of reason over Dale's voice of reason; Herschel seems to be more wise old wizard than Dale, and I like it.

Lulu.
Old 15 October 2013, 02:29 AM

I thought it was a good episode. Not great, but after some of last season, it has big shoes to fill, IMO. Of course, it was a season premiere, so a lot of it was establishing new rules, etc. (So, as Chris Hardwick said on Talking Dead last night, they can rip it all to shreds in our faces.) As far as those go, it was better than good.

I like that Daryl is like a rock star to the young folk. ("Mr. Dixon.)

Which also brings to mind "Detective"

Did anyone else get the impression that there might have been/was going to be something between Rick and Michonne? Anyway, it's obvious that Carl still feels close to her.

Zombie cleanup on aisle four. Ugh. And I had a strange hankering for an India Pale Ale during that scene as well.

Wonder how the sick pig is going to figure into this whole thing?

I kept thinking that Maggie was pregnant, since they avoided showing too much of her for a good bit of the episode. Thought they might spring it on us at the end. I'm really glad they didn't go that route. I wouldn't have minded if she was pregnant, mind you, but a "surprise reveal" like that would have been cheesy.

Also, I love that there's another The Wire alum, the guy who played D'Angelo Barksdale. It's like old home week. (Well, not really, but a lot of actors from that show are showing up all over television lately, which is a good thing.)
Old 15 October 2013, 02:30 AM

Oh, and by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
- Carol's Day Care For Children Who Need To Learn How To Stab And Stuff.
Nicely done.
Old 15 October 2013, 03:24 AM

I saw Kyle Gallner's name in the opening credits and had a feeling he was going to get eaten by some zombies. I've seen that boy die so many ways.

I have some high hopes for this season. Last was so terrible, but I liked that first episode.
Old 15 October 2013, 01:02 PM

They mentioned on Talking Dead that Patrick (nerdy kid) was the voice of Phineas!

I think the dead pig has something to do with it. Not that animals are infected but there is a swine born illness such as Swine flu.
Old 15 October 2013, 05:19 PM

i think Carol and Darryl are now an official couple -- she did say "Just for the record, i liked you first" in their little establishing scene.

I am confused about the woman in the woods -- was she keeping her zombie boyfriends head alive? all it looked like was a moving sack --
Old 15 October 2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
-- was she keeping her zombie boyfriends head alive?
Yep. And Rick was to be its next meal.
Old 15 October 2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
They mentioned on Talking Dead that Patrick (nerdy kid) was the voice of Phineas!

I think the dead pig has something to do with it. Not that animals are infected but there is a swine born illness such as Swine flu.
Also, if it's a communicable disease, he shook Daryl's hand (and Daryl had just licked his fingers--I don't remember if he was still eating after that) and they showed him cough into the water barrel before starting the shower. Seemed to potentially be significant.

It just occurred to me too that he seemed to have bled from his eyes, (like from a hemorrhagic fever, and one of the walkers at the fence that Rick kept seeing had apparently bled from his eyes....

Over all, I liked the episode. I particularly liked the peek we got at Tyreese's character. He's a big softie--he's doing what he has to do, but it's taking a toll.

I also thought the development of Beth's character was interesting. I was afraid there would be a whole thing where she was going to feel horrible and guilty for not making a bigger deal when the guy who was saying goodbye to her got killed. But it made a lot of sense to me that she reacted the way she did. One of the fascinating things about a world like the one they live in is how children will adapt to it.
Old 15 October 2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
i think Carol and Darryl are now an official couple -- she did say "Just for the record, i liked you first" in their little establishing scene.
-
I took that to mean, "Although everyone here is hero-worshipping you, I liked you first", rather than her confirming a romantic liaison.
Old 16 October 2013, 03:45 AM

"Carl, I know what we're going to do today! Hey, where's Daryl?"
Old 16 October 2013, 01:33 PM

Overall I liked it. I'm in a minority, I know, in that I thought the anti-climax finish to the third season was brilliant and well earned, so the opening which appeared near-idyllic is a good continuation of that. Of course it's not going to stay like that (there'd be no show otherwise). But they seem to have built a solid community with some order, jobs, a council - some semblance of civilization. It'll be a shame when it all comes crumbling down.

I'm not a fan of the idea of Daryl and Carol coupling up (though I also don't agree that her comment was indicative of a romantic relationship). I really love the incredibly strong platonic bond they've formed, and I kind of feel that moving it into relationship territory would be a bit cliche, I feel.

Did anyone else get a vibe of inappropriate attraction from Beth towards Daryl there towards the end?

Obviously the pig is important. I agree with those who have said it could be something along the lines of swine flu or something.

Anyone else wondering about the gun Rick found in the opening? Just a piece that had been smuggled in when the prison was active and got buried? Or something more recent than that?
Old 19 October 2013, 01:23 PM

Considering that anyone who dies, turns, I'm surprised they don't seem to have anyone standing watch at night. There's always the chance of someone dying from a stroke or heart attack or something.

ETA: I really liked the episode, and it's got me very excited for the rest of the season. I felt the same way about Beth's approach to Daryl.

The only thing I find annoying is that I have to avoid this thread for most of the week!
Old 19 October 2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Considering that anyone who dies, turns, I'm surprised they don't seem to have anyone standing watch at night. There's always the chance of someone dying from a stroke or heart attack or something.
Yeah, I would at least lock my cell door at night.
Old 21 October 2013, 05:57 PM

The preview they showed for next week (during Talking Dead) looked pretty awesome.
Old 28 October 2013, 02:18 PM

gargh! what an ending --- they keep ramping it up and making things tense and tense and tense -- and then boom -- what an ending --

the thing that sucks for me is that i only watch this show with my teens, and they are only around every other weekend, so i have to skep next week again -- oh the pain!!!
Old 28 October 2013, 10:30 PM

Now that's what I call a herd.... I do like the modification to Tyreese's epic zombie battle in the comic book.
Old 30 October 2013, 12:04 PM

Just got around to watching it last night.

All I can say is, wow! I did not see that coming. Like the best twists, you don't see it coming, but when revealed it makes perfect sense. Cannot wait for the next episode.
Old 04 November 2013, 02:05 AM

DA-YUM! You think we'll see her again? I loved what that guy on Talking Dead just said: "She is the Walter White of Walking Dead."
Old 04 November 2013, 10:14 PM

Jesus, Rick! What were you thinking?

I really, really hope that's not the last we see of her. I hope she comes to the rescue of the group later in the series.

How did those two youngsters last so long? Yes, they were with another group, but they seemed pretty stupid and clueless. They'd gone this long without killing a walker with a knife? Really?
Old 11 November 2013, 09:40 PM

Melissa McBride's name is still in the opening credits - will she return? (I haven't read any interviews etc so I'm not aware if she has decided to move on). I really, really hope she does return, although it's sort of nice that if she has decided to leave then they've had a character leave rather than die and zombify.

And......the Governor's back. Le sigh. Will he die this season? I hope so. I wouldn't want him to keep escaping at the last minute so that he can keep returning over and over again.

And what an epic amount of walkers in this episode. Very tense having them both inside and outside the prison. How long is the prison going to last? Do you think they will leave at the end of this season?