snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04 August 2013, 02:35 PM
Amigone201's Avatar
Amigone201 Amigone201 is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Islip, NY
Posts: 6,040
Default Memes that annoy you

I decided to start a separate thread because I found that what I post most often in LTTAY are memes.



The jacket says "Ask my girls if they still think short shorts are 'soooo cute!!!'" implying that if it looks dumb on him, it will look dumb on his girls. I hope he remembers that the next time they want to wear a denim jumper or a Disney princess dress, the little harlots.

Actually, I'm more annoyed by the comments under it, most of which are naming him father of the year because of, as usual, "kids today." They "have no respect," they "dress like sluts," their outfits are "partially to blame for all that's wrong with the world today," etc. I wish Saddam Hussein had known that short shorts could bring about the downfall of Western Civilization; he wouldn't have had to bother with all that war and stuff. Is Justin Bieber responsible for our unemployment rate?
  #2  
Old 04 August 2013, 02:42 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,138
Default

Even today "kids" aren't generally buying their own clothes. If they really are dressing inappropriately the blame, if blame there is, surely should be leveled at the parents.
  #3  
Old 04 August 2013, 02:57 PM
Avril's Avatar
Avril Avril is offline
 
Join Date: 07 August 2002
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 10,484
Default

In this case, they can turn their own clothes into short cutoffs. And many kids do buy some of their own clothes, depending on how old they are.
  #4  
Old 04 August 2013, 03:04 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,138
Default

Oh sure teens have a lot more control over their clothes than younger kids and I knew girls who went to a private school in Montreal who'd hitch their knee length plaid skirts up so high they looked like Cindy Brady as soon as they were off school property.

But when I hear the yak about "slutty" clothes for kids it's usually aimed at a much younger crowd. And IMO some of the criticism isn't wrong - it's just if the "slutty" stuff is on a six year old it's mom and dad who should be held accountable if someone thinks criticism needs to be meted out.
  #5  
Old 04 August 2013, 03:06 PM
Kallah's Avatar
Kallah Kallah is offline
 
Join Date: 19 July 2004
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,558
Default

While I realize the "take a picture, large text on it" mete-meme is here to say, I can generally stand the pictures of cats, people, and strange occurrences that make up most of them. However, the rage face line drawings, even when they don't accompany trolling, rude, or otherwise stupid text annoy me more than most. More recently I've seen people sending around line drawings of old fashion people, usually on a pastel background, where the theme usually is "contrast the innocence of this drawing with something crude". I don't know what it is about that particular format, but it it seems to attract more ignorance, racism, and misogyny than others. Maybe they think that sort of humor makes for a better contrast?
  #6  
Old 04 August 2013, 03:12 PM
Avril's Avatar
Avril Avril is offline
 
Join Date: 07 August 2002
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 10,484
Default

Isn't the girl holding hands with the guy in the shorts supposed to be the daughter? It's hard to say from one picture but she looks to be about 12 to me.
  #7  
Old 04 August 2013, 03:15 PM
Amigone201's Avatar
Amigone201 Amigone201 is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Islip, NY
Posts: 6,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
More recently I've seen people sending around line drawings of old fashion people, usually on a pastel background, where the theme usually is "contrast the innocence of this drawing with something crude". I don't know what it is about that particular format, but it it seems to attract more ignorance, racism, and misogyny than others. Maybe they think that sort of humor makes for a better contrast?
Hm, I know exactly what you're talking about (someecards), but I haven't found them to be racist or misogynist. Usually the ones I see are about getting drunk or women telling someone off.

But hey, now we have a thread Can you post an example?
  #8  
Old 04 August 2013, 03:18 PM
Roadsterboy's Avatar
Roadsterboy Roadsterboy is offline
 
Join Date: 13 September 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,077
Default

Pretty much any picture of a cat with the type deliberately misspelled.

There, I said it.
  #9  
Old 04 August 2013, 03:46 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,214
Psychic

Heresy! Just hope that moderator kitten doesn't "disapproves ur submishinz" to this thread.

My most hated meme: pictures of people complaining about the economy or politics by writing something down by hand on a piece of paper, holding it up in front of their face, and taking a picture. I guess it's supposed to seem 'deep' or something?
  #10  
Old 04 August 2013, 04:06 PM
Gibbie's Avatar
Gibbie Gibbie is offline
 
Join Date: 20 February 2000
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 8,490
Default

Keep Calm and Carry whatever. It took a lovely found vintage poster and overused it to the point that I never want to see it again. A guy in my typography class wanted to use it for a project. I over heard him say "hey, I'll do "keep calm and stop shopping! That will be a great poster." It took ever bit of self control not to yell "no! No it won't. It will be stupid!". The exception? I saw the other day "Keep Calm and Carry On" with "my wayward son, they'll be peace when you are done" stamped along the bottom.

Gibbie
  #11  
Old 04 August 2013, 04:07 PM
Jay Temple's Avatar
Jay Temple Jay Temple is offline
 
Join Date: 25 September 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 9,104
Default

  • Even when the point is valid, I hate the meme with Gene Wilder as Willie Wonka.
  • I probably agree with the points more often than I disagree, but I've hated the "special kind of stupid" meme from the first time I saw it.
  • I liked the picture of the slightly-chubby black kid the first time I saw it. It was something very close to, "Let me get this straight. You have all sorts of life-saving vaccines, and people are refusing to use them?" That was so common-sense, even to a kid that age, that it worked for me. Every other caption seems like something that's way over the head of an American kid his age, let alone a third-world kid.
  #12  
Old 04 August 2013, 04:13 PM
Auntie Witch's Avatar
Auntie Witch Auntie Witch is offline
 
Join Date: 22 October 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 12,599
Default

Most memes using babies and kids bug me, because I think, "Did their parents sign up for this?" I would be livid-pissed if someone took a picture of my kid and used it to try to spread their own political agenda.
  #13  
Old 04 August 2013, 04:16 PM
Spud Sabre Spud Sabre is offline
 
Join Date: 27 October 2009
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,668
Default

The OP meme reminds me of the dog poop brownies UL and gets the same response from me:

IMO the dividing line between "slutty" and "not slutty" is so vague as to make the term meaningless. And I hate the idea of there being an inverse correlation between how much a woman/girl () wears and how much sex appeal she has.
  #14  
Old 04 August 2013, 04:24 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 73,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
I don't know what it is about that particular format, but it it seems to attract more ignorance, racism, and misogyny than others. Maybe they think that sort of humor makes for a better contrast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
Hm, I know exactly what you're talking about (someecards), but I haven't found them to be racist or misogynist. Usually the ones I see are about getting drunk or women telling someone off.
My experience mirrors Amigone's. Of course, I only see them on Facebook and I tend to de-friend or at least block people who post racist or misogynist things.
  #15  
Old 04 August 2013, 05:10 PM
Amigone201's Avatar
Amigone201 Amigone201 is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2005
Location: Islip, NY
Posts: 6,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Sabre View Post
The OP meme reminds me of the dog poop brownies UL and gets the same response from me:
I'll meet your UL with a meme. This was me, upon reading that.
  #16  
Old 04 August 2013, 05:30 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,619
Icon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
My most hated meme: pictures of people complaining about the economy or politics by writing something down by hand on a piece of paper, holding it up in front of their face, and taking a picture. I guess it's supposed to seem 'deep' or something?
I always interpreted it as symbolizing a "giving voice to the voiceless" concept -- the notion that "we may not grab the attention of the media or the public, but there are a lot of people just like me out there, and this issue affects all of us." Of course, that notion is rather undercut if your message is a banal one such as "NO NEW TAXES."
  #17  
Old 04 August 2013, 06:58 PM
Esprise Me's Avatar
Esprise Me Esprise Me is offline
 
Join Date: 02 October 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
  • I liked the picture of the slightly-chubby black kid the first time I saw it. It was something very close to, "Let me get this straight. You have all sorts of life-saving vaccines, and people are refusing to use them?" That was so common-sense, even to a kid that age, that it worked for me. Every other caption seems like something that's way over the head of an American kid his age, let alone a third-world kid.
Skeptical African Kid! The only ones I've seen people post have been pure gold, but I just Googled it and saw some examples of what you're talking about.

I've always liked the Good Guy Greg meme; it's usually something about doing the right thing in a context in which most people don't bother. But I have to say I'm disheartened that the female version, Good Girl Gina, essentially amounts to "gives blowjobs and doesn't talk much."
  #18  
Old 04 August 2013, 11:00 PM
Mickey Blue's Avatar
Mickey Blue Mickey Blue is offline
 
Join Date: 01 February 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,571
Default

Excluding the ones that are out and out offensive (for example the recent trend of just saying "Your a fag!" or "Going full retard")...

Nearly all of the forever alone or friend zone memes.. I'm not saying that being friend zoned isn't real, or that it doesn't suck when it happens, but most of them are either people who lack the courage to make the first move so just assume they are friend zoned because the other person didn't, or people who really just want to NFBSK their friends and are miffed that their friends aren't into it so they turn it into some unrequited love thing on the internet.

The forever alone ones are.. Less irritating but come off very often as whiny.


I also hate the "back in my day" memes.. Seriously the concept of 'memes' has turned a bunch of 15 to 25 year olds into 75 year old men screaming at kids on the lawn and complaining about how much better things were when we all watched pokemon or whatever. They are really the same deal as the "Back in the 50s things were so often" but for the mid to late nineties.

They most often take the form of either bitching about how kids today have cell phones or some such thing, or by saying "If you watched/played/read [show/movie/book/game/etc] you had an awesome childhood".

I also hate the confession bear (or other ones but seems most often with that) when it is humble bragging or fishing for compliments; this normally takes the form of some girl saying "I actually like giving my boyfriend blowjobs" or whatever, something that most people would consider to be a positive but phrased in a way that makes it seem like they think it's a negative.

Lastly.. I hate the jump on the bandwagon ones; generally these days they are about Justin Bieber, internet explorer and Twilight. Look I don't think Beiber's music is good and I hate Twilight for a variety of reasons but after ten million people on the internet have already said "These things suck!" it lacks creativity to do so again.
  #19  
Old 04 August 2013, 11:34 PM
Esprise Me's Avatar
Esprise Me Esprise Me is offline
 
Join Date: 02 October 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Nearly all of the forever alone or friend zone memes.. I'm not saying that being friend zoned isn't real, or that it doesn't suck when it happens, but most of them are either people who lack the courage to make the first move so just assume they are friend zoned because the other person didn't, or people who really just want to NFBSK their friends and are miffed that their friends aren't into it so they turn it into some unrequited love thing on the internet.
Uh...what exactly is being "friendzoned," then, if it's a real thing that happens but isn't the situation in which you want to NFBSK a friend and she doesn't want to NFBSK you?
  #20  
Old 04 August 2013, 11:54 PM
Mickey Blue's Avatar
Mickey Blue Mickey Blue is offline
 
Join Date: 01 February 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,571
Default

Well most of the time it's people acting as if they have this deep love for a friend of their's but the object of their affection just wants to be friends. It's often played as this sad, almost poetic, burden that they carry.. Also it often comes with a heaping helping of blame for the other person as if they are deliberately 'friendzoning' this person because of their own issues (often this transitions into the whole "Nice guys finish last" deal).

As noted, it's a real thing that happens to men and women, finding yourself in the 'friend zone' where the person you like just doesn't see you as a potential romantic partner for whatever reason, however memes typically seem to associate every rejection by a friend (or, as noted, not being actively pursued by a friend or them not reading your 'signals' or whatever) as being friendzoned as opposed to them not being into you (which is, as I understand it, a subtle but relevant distinction*).

Most of the friend zone memes however seem to be people who just want to bang their hot friends and want to make it their friends fault for thier blindness to how awesome they are by choosing to stick them in the 'friend zone'.

*Speaking generally, a person in the friend zone is a potential romantic partner in other ways but one that a person has 'placed' in the friend zone for whatever reason. It's not that they aren't fun to be around, good looking, whatever, just somehow they don't view them as a potential partner. This is contrasted by somebody who they just aren't interested in from the get go because of personality, looks, interests, etc beyond being a friend.

ETA: In short I guess the friend zone memes are the meme version of the "nice guys finish last" issue; they are this deep, funny, perfect guy that this girl is just too blind to see right in front of her (to be fair this concept has been fueled by countless movies, particularly comedies and romantic comedies). She keeps dating jerks but if she'd just realize you are perfect for her she'd be happy.. It's hamstrung somewhat by the fact that many complaints seem to mainly be "She's hot and I'd like to do her" which is fine and all but sort of takes the wind out of the "you'd be so perfect for her" sails.

ETA2: Also to reiterate, sometimes these things really do happen, where you honest to god objectively would be great and the girl (or guy, it goes the other way and I'm sure same sex as well) just doesn't realize it because she keeps falling for the same guys who are bad for her.. But most of the time it seems to be about entitlement and viewing your friendship as some path to sex as opposed to just friendship and respecting her opinion.

Last edited by Mickey Blue; 05 August 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little things that annoy you Avril Rantidote 1006 08 August 2013 12:14 AM
Little things that annoy you WildaBeast Rantidote 999 22 May 2013 05:49 PM
Little things that annoy you lavender blue Rantidote 1003 14 March 2013 10:36 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.