snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 03 July 2013, 04:00 PM

Default 'Terrified' Sorority Girl Spends Night in Jail; Authorities Mistake Water for Beer

I had to shorten the title. Sorry it's The Mail, but it was the better article I could find on this, with the most details.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...=feeds-newsxml

Quote:
Elizabeth Daly, a 20-year-old University of Virginia student, said she was 'terrified' when a group of plainclothes state Alcoholic Beverage Control agents approached her car in the dark.

Having just attended an evening vigil on campus where women shared stories of their experiences with sexual assault, Miss Daly, who was with her college roommate, said she 'panicked' when she saw the men and drove off, before being arrested and charged with three felonies.
Old 03 July 2013, 04:38 PM

Are ABC agents even authorized to make such physical attempts to detain/ impede the movement of individuals suspected of purchasing/ possessing alcohol underage?

If so, is blocking the car SOP?

Quote:
Police say one of the agents, who had mistaken Miss Daly's purchase of LaCroix sparkling water from the Harris Teeter in the Barracks Road Shopping Center, for a pack of beer, jumped on the hood of her car. Miss Daly claims that one drew a gun.
Old 03 July 2013, 04:40 PM

Seems like a ridiculous over-reaction. Why not just take down her license number?
Old 03 July 2013, 04:42 PM

If they couldn't even tell that she had purchased water and not beer how on earth could they tell how old she was? Absolutely ridiculous. Anyway I always thought the people they are after are more the store clerk who doesn't check ID or doesn't care who they sell alcohol too not the "kids" who buy it. Guess not.
Old 03 July 2013, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Either the store checkout sold her beer and carded her and she was 21 and there is no issue, or they did not card her and sold her beer and they should have been the target of ABC, or they sold her water and there is no issue. All of the above should have involved checking with and going after the store and clerk.
Old 03 July 2013, 04:51 PM

Is it really necessary for the Mail to report she was a sorority girl? Seems like there's an agenda there, but not sure which way. What is the connotation of "sorority girl" in the UK? Here (especially with the sparkling water) it would suggest a rich college student, possibly one who is spoiled and sheltered.
Old 03 July 2013, 04:53 PM

I was wondering the same thing, that information doesn't have anything to do with the story.
Old 03 July 2013, 04:55 PM

There could have been an agenda but I thought it was more because in a way her being in a sorority was somewhat relevant to the story (she was buying the stuff for a sorority fundraiser). Still given this is the Daily Mail there could be more to it than that.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:00 PM

I'm going on a limb and the UKers can tell us, but I notice that this particular paper can't have a female college student be just that- she has to be a "co-ed" or "FEMALE student" or "sorrority girl" or something else like that. Basically sexist.

That she is female is somewhat relevant to the story as she says her actions were in part motivated by fear of sexual assault. Calling her a sorority girl also adds to the imagery (from the paper's POV, not mine) of fragile little thing being roughed up by big meanies.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:11 PM

Looks like the girls might have a shot at paying off their student loans.

To the "officers":
You flashed a badge in the dark? You jumped on a vehicle? You drew a weapon? You can't tell the difference between water and a six pack of beer? You had no probable cause to detain the girls?

The girls called 911 immediately, which is pretty good proof that the goofball "officers" didn't adequately ID themselves.

Arresting underage college kids for drinking is like shooting fish in a barrel. But these guys couldn't locate the barrel.

Heck the girls are even white.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
{snip} I always thought the people they are after are more the store clerk who doesn't check ID or doesn't care who they sell alcohol too not the "kids" who buy it. Guess not.
[tangent]Actually, I'd be very surprised if the clerk had not checked ID. This particular store is in a strip mall practically on top of University grounds (and student-heavy housing), and the stores are quite rabid about checking IDs - I was still getting mine checked at 40-something.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:17 PM

You mean you'd be surprised if the clerk had not checked ID if they had been buying alcohol instead of water?
Old 03 July 2013, 05:25 PM

Yes, that's what I meant - responding to Sue's comment about clerks selling alcohol and checking IDs. I should have said "a" clerk instead of "the," which suggests a response to the OP.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
What is the connotation of "sorority girl" in the UK? Here (especially with the sparkling water) it would suggest a rich college student, possibly one who is spoiled and sheltered.
There isn't one - it's not a British term. We don't have fraternities or sororities, and we don't use the term "co-ed" for a female student. The implication is that the story is aimed at US readers.

A lot of the Daily Mail website (as opposed to printed newspaper) is like that. It's apparently one of the most popular news websites in the world, so it's certainly not aimed exclusively at a UK audience any more.

(eta) Sexist US readers, of course. It is still the Daily Mail.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:30 PM

Years ago I was leaving a bar by myself and getting into my car when I was approached by two guys who looked 20 years old wearing pretty grungy clothes. They said they were police and needed to search my car for drugs. I said I needed to see some ID and they flashed something at me and made a sarcastic remark like "This good enough for you?" Since it was dark I could hardly see what they showed. I did consent to a search but I thought at any moment I was going to be carjacked. I'm still not sure it wasn't a put-on, that they would've kept whatever they found and let me go with a 'warning.' That happened before cell phones were common but if anything like that happened again I would immediately call 911.

I think law enforcement needs to be a little more understanding with undercover work. Anybody can fake a badge and harass someone. By the time the real cops arrive it may be too late.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:31 PM

In looking at other articles about this that originated in the US the girl in question is described in all of them as a college girl who is in a sorority. It's not surprising that the Daily Mail would use the terms the American papers were also using.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:35 PM

Yes, I was going to say that in all likelihood they just "copied" the story from another source with as little additional work as is required to maintain basic journalistic standards anyway...
Old 03 July 2013, 05:39 PM

I suspect the phrasing has been used in US coverage to emphasize how harmless and innocent the young woman in question is. Although FTR, while I think the OP incident was ridiculous over-reach on the part of the ABC officers, I do not believe that members of sororities are necessarily innocent or harmless.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Is it really necessary for the Mail to report she was a sorority girl? Seems like there's an agenda there, but not sure which way. What is the connotation of "sorority girl" in the UK? Here (especially with the sparkling water) it would suggest a rich college student, possibly one who is spoiled and sheltered.
If the headline was "Terrified college student spends night in jail after authorities mistake her sparkling water for beer" then I would assume the story was about a 16- or 17-year old British student at a further education college (not a university) who had somehow been arrested for buying beer under-age. Which would be surprising because usually only adults who sell drink to under-18's or adults who buy drink on behalf of under-18's get in serious trouble.

But since the headline says "Terrified sorority girl spends night in jail after authorities mistake her sparkling water for beer", the "sorority girl" reference tells me it's about an American university student. And as I don't know much about the details of US drinking law, but I do know that you have to be 21 to buy drink, I find that headline a bit more believable at first glance.

ETA: But yes, probably the story was copied from an American source as "sorority girl" isn't a usual phrase to use here.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:52 PM

Saying "US university student" would accomplish the same thing.