snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 23 June 2013, 05:15 PM

Icon22 Study says 9/11 led to 'terrorism-induced smoking'

The stress of the attacks on 9/11 caused an estimated one million former smokers to pick the habit up again, according to a Weill Cornell Medical College public health study.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/Blog/201...1521371840580/
Old 23 June 2013, 05:21 PM

Peter Jennings said that was when/why he started smoking again. After having stopped for 20 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...nnings.cancer/
Old 23 June 2013, 06:59 PM

I had stopped for about 10 years. It never occurred to me that others started smoking again.

ETA-It just occurred to me that I never occurred to me because in my mind 9/11 was a really stressful day, and any really stressful day could have been the trigger, except I had plenty of stressful days in the decade before 9-11. It occurs to me similarly that I had a million reasons why I spent the majority of the 7 1/2 to 8 years immediately after 9/11 in Cali. Maybe I was in denial.

Last edited by nonnieyrissa; 23 June 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 23 June 2013, 07:06 PM

I wouldn't have been surprised to hear about such a pattern in the NY area, especially after hearing Jennings say that. That the pattern was observable across the country did surprise me.
Old 23 June 2013, 07:22 PM

I imagine it's primarily the stress, but there might also be a bit of the fatalism that often seems to affect soldiers in wartime, for instance. With bullets and bombs falling all around, it's hard to take the extra hazard introduced by smoking very seriously. Similarly, there might be a feeling that when a plane can fly into your building at any moment, why deny yourself? (I have a little bit of that attitude regarding some of the less healthy foods I indulge in. In one interview, Yoko Ono said that after John Lennon was killed, she found it a lot harder to worry about eating health foods, and told her son on one occasion, "It doesn't matter. Eat whatever you want.")
Old 23 June 2013, 08:12 PM

Smoking has some antidepressant and antianxiety effects. They are of course severely outweighed by the risks and negative effects though. But that tends to explain why people who've long since quit will crave a cigarette under stress. It's readily available, doesn't require a doctor visit, a prescription, or even conscious knowledge that you're feeling distressed.

I was about as far away from NYC as it's possible to be within the US on 9/11, and I certainly felt extreme distress on that day and the days following. We all experienced some degree of acute traumatic stress that day.
Old 23 June 2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
ETA-It just occurred to me that I never occurred to me because in my mind 9/11 was a really stressful day, and any really stressful day could have been the trigger, except I had plenty of stressful days in the decade before 9-11.
9/11 also had a pretty big ripple effect that we are still feeling today. It caused a pretty big economic downturn. It caused the invasion of Afghanistan. Indirectly it also allowed Bush to push through an anti-populist agenda and the Iraq invasion; neither of which I think would have gotten through if not for the "rally around the President" feelings following the attack. All of that stuff contributed to a lot of stress among the American public.