snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 19 June 2013, 08:21 PM

Icon13 14-Year-Old Who Wore NRA Shirt to School Faces Year in Jail

Quote:
Jared Marcum, the 14-year-old who was arrested and suspended from school after refusing to take off a National Rifle Association shirt, is facing up to a year in jail.
http://www.wowktv.com/story/22587338...1-year-in-jail
Old 19 June 2013, 08:52 PM

How often are these kinds of situations ever resolved by the individual receiving the most extreme sentence technically possible for them to get? Does anyone truly believe an overly verbose 14 yr old is really going to go to jail over this? Still, it makes a lovely headline.
Old 19 June 2013, 09:06 PM

Let's hope not, but with little kids being suspended or frightened into wetting their pants for having or making toy guns at school (even one from a Pop-Tart), it makes people wonder how far authorities will go.
Old 19 June 2013, 09:12 PM

Ah, that poor little guy (referring to 5 year old in cap gun story). Kudos to mom for talking to the news without giving a name though. These stories where mom and dad and the city they live in are given but the child's name is withheld for privacy reasons make me roll my eyes. It's not a stretch to anyone involved with the school to be able to figure out who the child might be (sorry, side rant over).
Old 19 June 2013, 09:18 PM

I agree with you, though in some cases, like the 5 year old with the Hello Kitty bubble gun who was suspended for making "terrorist threats," I actually might want my kid's version of the story out there. I'd hate for other parents to think my child was threatening to kill people when she really just wanted to play with bubbles.

ETA- I should say, "if the story had gotten out."
Old 19 June 2013, 09:28 PM

Leaving aside the complete overreaction of the school in that incident I have to wonder what conversation had to have taken place between the alleged victim of the "terrorist threats" and her parent. What did the child say had happened and why did the parents think it merited reporting to the school. Wow.
Old 19 June 2013, 10:04 PM

That's a good question. I wonder if it was the "victim's" parent or a teacher who reported it.
Old 19 June 2013, 11:35 PM

Since the charge was Obstructing and officer rather than for what he wore. I look up the laws for the State of West Virginia (hoping I got the right one).

Quote:
WEST VIRGINIA CODE

61-5-17. Obstructing officer; fleeing from officer; making false statements to officer; penalties; definitions.

(a) Any person who by threats, menaces, acts or otherwise, forcibly or illegally hinders or obstructs, or attempts to hinder or obstruct, any law-enforcement officer, probation officer or parole officer acting in his or her official capacity is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $500 or confined in jail not more than one year, or both fined and confined.
Is talking to much really and obstruction unless the official capacity requires other people to hear and understand them. I think the officer could have better handled the nosy teen without charges. I suspect that the most he would have gotten was the $50 fine after talking to the judge. But since he has proven that he can not keep his mouth shut and let a judge decide. I think the fine should be $500 now.

In my experience, you shut up and let the officer do his/her job whether you agree or not even if being arrested because you refuse to do as they say. Then let the judge do their work in deciding your guilt or innocents. Then if the officers screwed up badly enough you think about suing to make changes and be compensated for you time and troubles.
Old 20 June 2013, 12:34 AM

During my scroll by, I keep reading this as "14 year old whore...."

Old 20 June 2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLockeout View Post
During my scroll by, I keep reading this as "14 year old whore...."

Sadly that would probably be less of an anomaly than the OP in America.