snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 28 May 2013, 01:18 PM

Alligator Gator sighting near 'Hooch concerns Cobb residents

Hikers near the Chattahoochee River had a surprising encounter with a large alligator this holiday weekend. Rangers believe the alligator has made a home in the swamp land in the Chattahoochee National Recreation Area on the Cobb County side of the river but near some condos and apartments.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/g...sidents/nX4fX/

Dang, that's in my neck of the woods (though far enough I am not actually worried, unless there's a breeding population that would spread up the creeks). It seems very odd that it could survive these past several winters which have been plenty cold, with numerous hard freezes (temps in the low 20s, even teens in the low-lying areas, like along the river). There are no piles of garbage that would generate heat through the winter in the area, although perhaps vegetation could provide an over-wintering warm spot.
Old 28 May 2013, 02:02 PM

I know the area. I wonder if it's new or stayed the winter. If it's new that's a heck of a walk, especially given this unseasonable weather we've been having lately.

Last edited by fitz1980; 28 May 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 28 May 2013, 02:09 PM

The article said there have been sightings over the past five years. I have been to Folkston and Waycross, and expect to watch for gators there. I would not have thought to watch for them along the Hooch! We get reports of pet gators that were released into Lakes Lanier and Allatoona every so often, but I thought those always died over the winter.
Old 28 May 2013, 02:18 PM

I live farther north than Cobb County, and when I was a kid there was an elusive alligator in a pond maybe a quarter of a mile from my house. It was sighted over a period of months, but when people hunted it, it hid. Finally one cold day it was sunning itself and was torpid, so DNR folks (or their 1950s equivalent) caught the critter, which was eight feet long. They relocated it in the Okefenokee, about 300 miles to the south.
Old 28 May 2013, 04:09 PM

Reading

Quote:
One interesting aspect of alligator biology is that even though they don't hibernate, they undergo periods of dormancy when the weather becomes cold. They may excavate a cave in a waterway and leave a portion of it above water during this time.
Alligator mississippiensis

Quote:
Alligators are among the most cold-tolerant of crocodilians, although they become very sluggish in cold weather. They can burrow and dig out dens in which they spend the colder months and can survive short freezes, including temporary ice cover and snow. Studies done on wild adult alligators subject to freezing conditions showed that they sought out shallow backwaters where they could position their nostrils in a way that kept a small breathing hole open in the ice.
http://people.wcsu.edu/pinout/herpet...s/ecology.html

They may be closer than you think!
Old 28 May 2013, 06:03 PM

OK, Georgian Snopesters. Let's get out there and get a photo, so the 'gator don't go all 'splody.
Old 28 May 2013, 06:58 PM

Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
OK, Georgian Snopesters. Let's get out there and get a photo, so the 'gator don't go all 'splody.
The video link includes plenty of pics joggers and hikers took to keep the poor little fella from going splodey. You are welcome to come and take a few more. Head south on I-75 and you'll be here in no time.
Old 29 May 2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
The video link includes plenty of pics joggers and hikers took to keep the poor little fella from going splodey. You are welcome to come and take a few more. Head south on I-75 and you'll be here in no time.
Oh, Mack, you didn't just violate the Georgia Code of Southern Hospitality by inviting Yankees to come on down!
Old 29 May 2013, 12:03 PM

Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Oh, Mack, you didn't just violate the Georgia Code of Southern Hospitality by inviting Yankees to come on down!
Shh, I'm trying to feed the gator. That makes it okay, check clause 2d.

C'mon down, Horse Chestnut, and ... stand closer to the gator.