Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Religion

Old 04 April 2013, 03:34 AM

Icon215 Jesuit oath

Comment: With the new Pope being a Jesuit, a rumor has hit my Facebook of
a so-called oath that every Jesuit must take. It's very ugly. I found one
source that attempts to debunk it but I hope you will investigate because
the rumors are only going to get worse.

Here's the debunking source:
http://www.reocities.com/okc_catholi...suit_oath.html.

If you google "Jesuit oath" you"ll find a document in the Library of
Congress. But that doesn't mean the oath is true, does it? Just that
someone submitted it as a publication.
Old 04 April 2013, 06:41 AM

Most of the sources I was able to find on this topic where Catholic or Christian publications, except for this one. However, they all cite a book tiltled Foxes, Firebrands and Forgeries: Robert Ware's Pollution of Reformation History, by Diarmaid MacCullough (I would really love to read it myself), which refers to Robert Ware, a prolific and apparently nasty forger, who also produced the infamous Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It appears to be a particularly unpleasant forgery which was not discovered for over 300 years!
Old 04 April 2013, 02:05 PM

So, I was raised Catholic. A long time ago, in a place far, far away, I once dated a girl who had been raised in a Charismatic Pentecostal environment, with a dash of Four-square thrown in. She had some issues in life (so did I, I suppose...).

One of the things she mentioned was that her church had taught her that Catholic priests are required to try to kill priests/ministers of other religions, especially "Christian" religions (she didn't believe Catholics were Christians).

The OP gives me an idea of the genesis of that belief.
Old 04 April 2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
One of the things she mentioned was that her church had taught her that Catholic priests are required to try to kill priests/ministers of other religions, especially "Christian" religions (she didn't believe Catholics were Christians).
My mother, who is now in her early 60s, was told as a child by a Sunday School teacher that nuns secretly sacrificed infants as part of their occult rites.

She was raised to believe that catholics weren't christians either. I recall visiting my grandparents (her parents) and seeing a publication around their home called "The Sword of the Lord" that asserted, on a regular basis, that the Pope was the antichrist.

So, yes, these beliefs, though strikingly bizarre, are likely still to survive in some radical Protestants
Old 04 April 2013, 03:16 PM

Years ago someone here on snopes brought up the the UL of dead babies being found in the wals of convents -- only she didn't know it was a UL, and seemed taken aback when I pointed out it was an anti-Catholic slur.
Old 04 April 2013, 04:15 PM

Now I suppose it does no good to mention that the Library of Congress is simply, like all libraries, a holder of information, presents various views, and does not endorse nor promote the views presented in most works but simply provides access to them to present differing opinions. But I guess the Library Bill of Rights completely goes over their heads. I shudder to think what other loons associate the Library of Congress's holdings as endorsement, really shudder. Really and truly shudder.
Old 04 April 2013, 08:44 PM

I suppose it is a sign of progress when people are not familiar with anti-Catholic conspiracy theories.

The old girlfriend of mine also believed that the Catholic church prohibited Catholics from owning or reading bibles.* People used to worry that JFK would have more loyalty to the Pope than to the U.S. Anti-Catholic bigotry was once a significant part of the KKK's platform.

Nowadays, most people seem unaware that Catholics ever faced any biases. It would be nice to get there with other groups some day.

*Like many of the most damaging conspiracy theories, that one might have had a bit of truth to it at one point, I seem to recall that one of the issues at the beginning of the protestant reformation had to do with printing bibles in local languages.
Old 04 April 2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I seem to recall that one of the issues at the beginning of the protestant reformation had to do with printing bibles in local languages.
I know that I was taught that the Catholic Church strongly resisted efforts to produce bibles in the language of the masses as a way to retain their theological monopoly and prevent any sort of "free interpretation" of the scriptures from contradicting Catholic doctrine and dogma.

Like many things I was taught, I believe this to be both a dramatic overstatement and a willful oversimplification of the matter, which spans several centuries and was as much a battle of politics and political power as it was of faith.

No doubt, however, the Church objected most heartily to what they believed were important errors in various translations (including Wycliffe's and Tyndale's translations) not just they believed it could lead uninformed readers into heresy and, as an extension, loss of salvation, but also because some alleged errors could diminish the church's power.

Tyndale was introduced to me from my "schooling" (thanks BJU Press!) as a martyr who's conviction in the right and true way (AKA the anti-Catholic way) led him to struggle to publish the Bible in English so the masses could see the light and come out from under the Evil Catholic whore-of-a-church. In truth, it was more his other writings and his general rebellion against the Church that led to his execution for heresy.

And let us remember that Henry VIII himself oversaw the Act for the Advancement of True Religion in 1543, which restricted the reading of the Bible to clerics, noblemen, the gentry and richer merchants. Women below gentry rank, servants, apprentices and generally poor people were forbidden to read it. Women of the gentry and the nobility were only allowed to read it in private. So this wasn't just a Catholic thing.
Old 04 April 2013, 10:33 PM

IIRC, Catholic opposition to "vernacular" Bibles had to do with the ongoing "Protestant vs. Catholic" outlook on the world - translations, which books were included, etc. At the same time there was a strong Protestant motion for Bibles (and services) in any language *but* Latin, because that was a Catholic thing. Those who were educated back then - in the tradition of the "classical" education - knew Latin and Ancient Greek - had their choice of reading in translated or "original" languages.