snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > We've Got Mail

Old 11 March 2017, 02:18 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Hello,
I just finished reading the article in CNN about your company. It was such a pleasant read. I have a PhD in journalism and was a reporter for several years before becoming a professor. I have followed Snopes for years and consider the work you do very valuable. I want to thank you for the work you do--it is a very valuable asset in today's world. I do hope you continue to grow in new directions and bringing news to your readers, as well as continuing the debunking of myths. Best of luck to you and congratulations on the decades of work well done.
Old 11 March 2017, 02:46 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Just read an article about you on CNN. Stay free, stay impartial, and thanks for the good work. We need folks like you now more than ever.
Old 11 March 2017, 02:47 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Good article on CNN. Thank you for the work you do. I even am grateful for you when you tell me things I don't like to hear, because I like sounding like an idiot even less.
Old 11 March 2017, 02:48 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Good morning,
I have something a bit unusual for you. It isn't fake news. Nor is it anger, disgust, or ridicule. My message is one of thanks, affirmation, and praise. Stories told have a life of their own. With the speed and ease of social media, each of these stories has the potential to become a colossal juggernaut of misinformation. The more electric the tale, the faster it moves and grows. When the news is valid, a quick spread isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, misinformation spread at that rate is incredibly dangerous. It takes one of humanity's greatest assets - our ability to work together for greater results - and turns it against us. Snopes, and its contemporaries, have become a bastion of reasonability and truth that we sorely need. You're the unsung heroes of the digital age. Stay grounded, keep to the truth, and continue doing this noble work. Thank you on behalf of all of those who benefit from your efforts.
Old 11 March 2017, 06:02 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Good afternoon,

I am not writing about a rumor but just giving you feedback on a quote I read on CNN.com. The article is about Snopes, it's founding and it's growth. At the very end Mr. Mikkelson says "I often feel like we're not really changing anybody's mind," he said. "The people who use the site are the people who are looking for something that confirms what they already think.

"But the people whose beliefs are being challenged, who think something is really true, and we're saying it's false, they'll just say (Snopes) isn't credible or it's biased or it's not qualified. Yeah, it's kind of disconcerting at times."

I want to assure you that there are more people like myself, who use Snopes to quiet people on the internet, than there are people using it to prove their beliefs. As I receive e-mails or read posts with obviously biased or false claims I head to your site, find the answer, then post a reply. It is not done out of malice but to encourage people to debate actual facts, not myths. Keep up the good work.
Old 11 March 2017, 06:15 PM
snopes minion

Comment: No rumor. I just read the CNN article by Doug Criss detailing the history and operations of Snopes. I wanted to take a moment to commend your team and the work you're doing. I'm glad there's a group of people committed to dispelling myths and disseminating the truth.
I also wanted to make a comment on a quote that Mr. Mikkelson said at the end of the article: "The people who use the site are the people who are looking for something that confirms what they already think"
Even if this is true, which I don't believe it is, you are still cementing the truth in people's minds. By dispelling that last shadow of a doubt, people arm themselves with facts they know to be accurate and can then disseminate that information to others. In this way true information is able to propagate itself and can slowly push back against those who seek to mislead us.
Thank you again for all that you do
Old 11 March 2017, 06:21 PM
snopes minion

Comment: This is not about a rumor, rather it is to tell you that I admire your work and hope that you continue your mission. Congratulations to all of the people who work @ Snopes. You guys rock!
Old 11 March 2017, 06:22 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Not a rumor, just a thumbs up on the recent CNN story about how Snopes evolved.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
Old 11 March 2017, 07:59 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Just read CNN article about you. I'm one of many that use Snopes as the go to site when something crosses my path. As part of the silent group of individuals who use your site, but have never contacted you before, thank you for what you do!
Old 12 March 2017, 02:49 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Thank you! I am grateful for the research you do. I am constantly searching for reality in what we as Americans are being presented. Thanks again for making my search easier. You have a difficult task at hand. Good luck!
Old 12 March 2017, 02:53 PM
snopes minion

Comment: I just read the March 10th Apple News article about Snopes. I just wanted to say, please don't think you are only preaching to the choir! There are many news stories that I have been unsure about, and I can almost always find my answer here! Snopes is an invaluable tool for anyone that cares about truth and facts. Keep up the great work!
Old 13 March 2017, 09:21 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Thank you, David Nickelson. I appreciate your work.

Last edited by Four Kitties; 14 March 2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 14 March 2017, 02:19 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Y'all are so great. I cannot tell you what it means to have somewhere to go and check out the bs that comes at us so often.
Old 25 March 2017, 03:23 PM
snopes minion

Comment: Dear Factchecker - I just want to thank and high-five your good work! Let you know that regular old citizens like me RELY on your help. please know that we consider your work a "public service" - you're like first responders (helping put out fires so people don't get hurt)
Old 27 March 2017, 01:18 AM
snopes minion

Comment: Congratulations to the Snopes Team of fact checkers. The original mom & pop web page has come to be the highest standard of fact checking Internet rumors. You deserve your just rewards for the many hard years of work.
Old 27 March 2017, 01:27 AM
snopes minion

Comment: Dear Snopes,

I love you, I love you, I love you.
Are you sure you just about every day. Thank you for doing so much for close minded mind around the world.
I am an immigrant from Mexico and there's still so much to do to teach our Latin cultures south of the border about collecting truthful information before sharing in their social media. Agh!!!

Is there plans to develop a Snopes in Spanish?

I am a professional translator and would love the opportunity to initiate a Snopes en Espanol.
We desperately need it.

Thank you for all you do to seek truth and common sense around the globe.
Old 29 March 2017, 04:54 PM
snopes minion

Comment: I just want to thank you for this awesome resource. I've been using it for years and it really was handy as our kids were in high school and college and would send things to us that seemed ridiculous. We could go to Snopes and forward them the link that showed it was NOT true. They never seemed to want to verify for themselves!

Most recently all the fake news is just crazy. Then the Bots to make it even seem more legitimate!

Keep up the great work, I can't even imagine how busy you are!!
Old 02 April 2017, 12:26 AM
snopes minion

Comment: Thank you Snopes.com. This website has been the most reliable internet hoax-checker website for the past 10 years. Keep the good work up.
Old 02 April 2017, 12:22 PM
snopes minion

Comment: I commend your work, needed now more than ever. During my career in broadcast journalism fake news was much more limited and manageable. In my university classroom, I could teach my students about the Murrow/Cronkite brand of journalism--to always be fair, honest and accurate in reporting the news. And, how to apply that to the news reports and institutions to which they were viewing and listening. Today, however, we are being overwhelmed by institutionally directed fake news, along with solely for profit fake news. How would I teach it today--the same old fashion way, but with taller boots to wade through the mountain of crap to reach the truth, which in its purest form is the same as it has always been!
Old 03 April 2017, 02:59 AM
snopes minion

Comment: Thank you so much for your service to truth and honesty.