snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 12 April 2011, 12:28 AM

Chicken Feral chickens have proliferated in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina

Since Hurricane Katrina, Ruby Melton's 9th Ward enclave has welcomed a new species of neighbor: clucking, crowing, prancing chickens that dart across streets and nest in the trees.

"We don't have stray dogs any more," said Melton, 68. "But everyone I talk to has stray chickens."

http://www.nola.com/pets/index.ssf/2...roliferat.html
Old 12 April 2011, 01:01 PM

Reading

There's a perfect picture with the article to go with a "why did the chicken cross the road" joke.
Old 12 April 2011, 03:47 PM

Sounds like it's time for the Chickenboys of the Old West to round 'em up and herd 'em out. Git yore brandin' irons hot, fellers.
Old 12 April 2011, 04:12 PM

Huh. I wonder if chickens revert back to their wild plumage, or was that breed of small chicken just popular in the city before the hurricane?

I kind of liked the clucking, but I can see where the 5:30 am wake-up calls could get old. But I bet the eggs taste heavenly!
Old 12 April 2011, 05:21 PM

The Hawaiian island of Kauai has a similar wild chicken population. I've always heard it chalked up to the 1992 hurricane Iniki but the googling I just did on this suggests there may be other factors.

The chickens can be really annoying but they've also become a symbol of Kauai on a few souvenirs.
Old 12 April 2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
The Hawaiian island of Kauai has a similar wild chicken population.
I recently went to Kauai and they were fraking everywhere. And they don't just crow at sunrise, they crow all day.....and sometimes at night. They did seem to capitalize on it though as you said many souvenirs featured chickens and it was often the focus of jokes and comments to us. And while we heard the hurricane explanation as well, one of my favorite jokes noted that the reason was because there was only one KFC on the island. Anyways that's what I first thought of too.
Old 13 April 2011, 03:32 AM

This reminds me of a stupid question I asked one time on this board about wild hamsters.

For the record, IIRC, they do exist.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:53 AM

You know...

What I don't understand is how, being as how they are so tasty and all (even though I have had them as pets and do really love my pet chooks) that there remains a very big feral population of chickens.

It's like having a feral population of chocolate chip cookies... somewhat harder to catch, but really appropriate for dinner plans, yannow?

And it's New Orleans...famous for making great foodstuffs out of much less appealing things than poultry, after all, even wild poultry.

BTW I don't believe that chickens tend to revert to the original genetics when in the wild; I think they would be more like dogs. They get so mongrelly after a while it is hard to distinguish what-all heritage they are composed of, but like even the most mongrelly of dogs nevertheless don't revert to being wolves, I don't think chickens revert to the original jungle fowl type of bird. (Many rooster breeds still look a lot like that anyway.)

Last edited by snapdragonfly; 13 April 2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 13 April 2011, 05:59 AM

There are chickens in the trees!
Old 13 April 2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
This reminds me of a stupid question I asked one time on this board about wild hamsters.

For the record, IIRC, they do exist.
Minsc was right all along!
Old 13 April 2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachrymose View Post
There are chickens in the trees!
That is where they go. My husband declared the coop I built to be an abomination (in his words, as if it were built by "Spanky and the gang") and got rid of it one summer and my chooks started roosting in the trees at night. They'd been starting to do it anyway and I was having to get them down out of the trees and stuff them into the coop at dusk and finally I said forget it and let them roost in the trees.

It was really amusing to drink our coffee at sunrise in the back yard and watch them fly/fall down the 20 foot or so descent from the pecan tree branch they favored. The coop was just a step stool to the branch anyway before it was torn down. Mr. SDF took pity and put a ladder up the tree trunk for them after a while. Took them a while to figure out how to use it but they eventually did.
Old 13 April 2011, 06:18 AM

All along, I thought it was just Sesame Street silliness.

Old 13 April 2011, 07:56 AM

Chickens seem to like raised coops - and I mean raised to shoulder height with a ramp access or intermediate platforms (like a cat climbing post). I guess they feel more secure that way as it's more like a tree.

Anyhow, where I grew up several neighbours had chickens. I never really noticed the crowing and clucking as I grew up with it. I'd be happy with feral chickens around. (No feral turkeys? I find the soft noises turkeys make really soothing)
Old 13 April 2011, 08:59 AM

Okay, I've been to a friend's who lived on a chicken farm, and it STANK! Now, I know that part of it was the sheer numbers, but I gotta wonder if there are enough wild roasters there to have dropping problems. I've got to admit, even if there was no odor issue, part of me would be sitting on my front porch wondering if I should learn to clean a fowl...
Old 13 April 2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Anyhow, where I grew up several neighbours had chickens. I never really noticed the crowing and clucking as I grew up with it. I'd be happy with feral chickens around. (No feral turkeys? I find the soft noises turkeys make really soothing)
There's plenty of wild turkey in my area [insert bourbon joke here] but, alas, you're neither allowed to keep them as pets nor hunt them (other than a very limited season) for dinner. They'll just saunter on through your lawn, down the sidewalk, or across the road as if they owned it. I've never heard much noise out of them, but then again, I've never gotten close - they're huge and temperamental!
Old 13 April 2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
There's plenty of wild turkey in my area [insert bourbon joke here] but, alas, you're neither allowed to keep them as pets nor hunt them (other than a very limited season) for dinner. They'll just saunter on through your lawn, down the sidewalk, or across the road as if they owned it. I've never heard much noise out of them, but then again, I've never gotten close - they're huge and temperamental!
That might be the difference between "wild" (wild species) and "feral" (domestic stock gone wild) though. A lot of domesticated animals and their feral descendents make noises/have behaviours not seen in the wild ancestor. I used to love visiting the free ranging small flock of Pied White Turkeys at a local animal park as they were so soothing to listen to (I'm sure a huge flock would have been deafening). The same place also had wild turkeys in their zoo section and they didn't "talk" in the same way.
Old 13 April 2011, 02:20 PM

I am not familiar with turkeys but chickens make that same soothing soft clucky sound. "awwwwwk awk awk awk" sort of a gentle muttering.

Ravenhull, it's the numbers. I don't know how many chickens were on your friends' farm, but imagine the same amount of dogs or cats confined in the same space and what that would smell like. Probably much worse.

Anytime you confine any animal, even one as small as a mouse, in a small area, the poop and pee get to be a smelly problem if it's not cleaned out constantly. When they wander around they don't make any more problem than any other kind of birds; usually not anything much, once in a while they do it on your windshield and if there's an area where they all congregate it can be an issue (think pigeons) but mostly not a big deal. Individual bird poops disintegrate back into the ecosystem pretty fast, even somewhat larger bird poops like chickens. When mine wandered around the yard I never really noticed them. If they hung out on the porch all day though, it was necessary to hose it off. But it didn't accumulate enough to smell, not just from a few birds.
Old 09 January 2014, 08:04 PM

How many people know how to kill, pluck, and gut a chicken? I certainly don't.
Old 09 January 2014, 08:53 PM

Chicken wildlife conundrums

I could probably kill, pluck (hot water dip) and gut a chicken, but we don't have that problem in Brooklyn. The parrots, on the other hand...
Old 09 January 2014, 09:01 PM

I do. I have had chickens for about 12 years, since I moved here. What I don't understand is how come wild chickens are proliferating in New Orleans, while I have to protect mine with a fence and coop to keep the coyotes and coons from eating them all?