snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > College

Old 28 September 2010, 09:55 PM

Icon23 College Women with Heavy Roommates Gain Less Weight Freshman Year

A new study from the University of Michigan has found that women with roommates who weigh more than average gain less weight their first year of college than those with trimmer roommates -- a half a pound vs. 2.5 pounds on average.

The findings are further evidence that the so-called "Freshman 15" -- 15 pounds said to be typically gained by new college students -- may be just an urban legend.

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/09/22/...e-weight-gain/
Old 29 September 2010, 04:38 AM

Well, I'm certainly trying to avoid it. I'm trying to both eat less and be healthy with my choices, and the campus I'm on is located on the side of a hill that I walk up and down at least 4-5 times every day just going from the dorm room to my classes.
Old 29 September 2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
One of the biggest worries for freshmen is gaining weight during their first year at college.

But there might be some encouraging news.

For the freshmen that The Daily Tar Heel has weighed and checked in with each month, the dreaded freshman 15 was largely a myth.
I'm wondering if the act of checking in and being weighed might have had an impact on their habits though, consciously or subconsciously.
Old 01 November 2011, 07:30 PM

Glasses "Freshman 15" weight gain is a myth, new study finds

The idea that college freshmen gain an average of 15 pounds in their first year of school is a myth -- the average is really between 2.4 pounds for women and 3.4 pounds for men, the co-author of a new study said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7A055O20111101
Old 01 November 2011, 08:29 PM

I didn't think it was ever supposed to be an average of 15 for everyone, rather, some people got the Freshman 15 and some didn't. 10% sounds about right to me.

Personally, I lost 15 pounds as a college freshman, and put it back on when I started working full-time after graduating. I would think the change in lifestyle associated with starting college can lead to changes in weight in either direction, so the fact that 25% lost weight in the study doesn't surprise me.