snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > College

Old 18 November 2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Where does she declare that?
My guess in person (if she was asked) or on a tax form (assuming that you declare the source of your income).

I would certainly say that the contracts that she signs with the studios or her membership in any acting guilds states that her employment is as an actor. Certainly her resume states Actor as a career. Outside of modeling, her acting is basically the source of her income though.
Old 18 November 2010, 09:32 PM

Is where, when, and under what circumstances a person is or is not an actor (or any other given profession) really particularly relevant to whether the OP happened or whether off-topic jokes that disrupt a class are appropriate?
Old 18 November 2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
AFA awarding house points in class is concerned: remember that Hermione is an exception. Usually the really bright students are in Ravenclaw (which is why the Kitten has a Ravenclaw house banner hanging in her room ).

Four Kitties
In response to "Ten points to Gryffyndor!" I have heard, "But I'm in Ravenclaw!"
Old 18 November 2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Is where, when, and under what circumstances a person is or is not an actor (or any other given profession) really particularly relevant to whether the OP happened or whether off-topic jokes that disrupt a class are appropriate?
Personally I donít think so. From what I have read on Ms. Watson, she wants to attend college and try to reconcile having a normal life with that of being a famous celebrity known world wide. Simply put I can see why she would be frustrated at being around the same group of people and being treated differently. I think her goal at Brown is that she wants to be treated like a normal student would be treated at college and not have her fame or her notoriety overshadow her intentions of earning a degree. Having people shout out ď10 pointsĒ for GryfindorĒ does just that and in a classroom setting is rather embarrassing for her given that she wants to downplay her fame for the benefit of everybody.

This isnít like the Anthony Hopkins antidote - he probably doesnít get that treatment if he goes to the same restaurant the next day. Heck, the crowd at the restaurant is different from day to day. This isnít a classroom where itís the same people in a much smaller environment.
Old 18 November 2010, 10:02 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
You donít just give up one role and accept another - she can be both things at once. As I pointed out before, just because you are not treating patients after hours, you are still a doctor. Lawyer is still a lawyer when he is not being paid by a client. Such is the thing with contract based employees.

I think we are disagreeing on one fundamental thing: Just because she is not on a set with a director and cameras doesnít mean that she isnít an actor. It just mean that she isnít working in that job at the moment.
I think I am explaining myself poorly.

Let me try this: it is inappropriate for Emma-the-student to be treated like Emma-the-actress when she is in class, because Emma is not attending school because of anything that has to do with her role as an actress. She should be treated like any other student, as if she were not an actress at all.

I went to school with a girl whose father was on the front page of every newspaper in the country for a while -- I treated her as "girl who lives on my hall" not "girl whose father has just been sentenced to 3-1/2 years in federal prison."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
In response to "Ten points to Gryffyndor!" I have heard, "But I'm in Ravenclaw!"
I like that student.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
This isnít like the Anthony Hopkins antidote
Jodi Foster?

Four Kitties
Old 18 November 2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I think I am explaining myself poorly.

Let me try this: it is inappropriate for Emma-the-student to be treated like Emma-the-actress when she is in class, because Emma is not attending school because of anything that has to do with her role as an actress. She should be treated like any other student, as if she were not an actress at all.
In that case I agree with you 100%. While in a classroom she is still an actress, but she isnít under contract to anybody and isnít required to perform for anybody.

Quote:
Jodi Foster?
*Groan* You owe me for that.
Old 19 November 2010, 09:53 PM

I have often wondered to what how difficult it is for movie stars to become college students. I am guessing that students are pretty considerate for the most part and try to treat them as fellow students. Many years ago I went school with the daughter of the owner of the Miami Dolphins and the son of Robert Bork. Not exactly movie stars but I doubt that anyone asked her for free tickets or criticized him for his father's actions under Nixon. It would have just been considered rude.

dewey
Old 23 November 2010, 05:19 PM

My (wild) guess would be that the "Ten points for Gryffindor" might happen once for each course she took, but I doubt it would happen much more than that. I think people would get used to her pretty quickly.
Old 23 November 2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdixo View Post
My (wild) guess would be that the "Ten points for Gryffindor" might happen once for each course she took, but I doubt it would happen much more than that. I think people would get used to her pretty quickly.
It would only take once for her to see that she wasnít all that amused anyway. Nobody that would want to have anything resembling a relationship with her.

It wouldnít take too long. Word would get out pretty quickly.
Old 24 April 2011, 08:12 PM

Yeah, she was bullied because she was too smart, and if there's one things the thuggish students at Ivy League schools will not tolerate, it's smart classmates.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:18 PM

I can't help but feel tremendous respect for people who pursue higher education while in the peak of their acting/modeling/athletic careers. They have a world of lucrative options before them filled with fawning people, and yet choose to challenge themselves in a tough academic setting where their fame can even be an obstacle to achievement. I wish her luck.
Old 27 April 2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I am a mother, but I'm not your mother: make your own damn lunch.
But Moooooom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Plenty of young people change majors/schools or leave the first university they attend for other reasons.
It's my personal belief that she left because she couldn't take our weird accents/slang anymore. "So didn't I!" will grate on your nerves if you didn't grow up with it.
Old 28 April 2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
"So didn't I!" will grate on your nerves if you didn't grow up with it.
If you've been gone long enough, it'll grate on you even if you did grow up with it!
Old 30 April 2011, 12:05 PM

Default Harry Potter actress Emma Watson denies bullying claim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13247493

Quote:
Miss Watson said: "I felt the need to let you all know the reason I took a semester off from Brown had nothing to do with bullying as the media have been suggesting recently.

"I have never been bullied in my life and certainly never at Brown. This '10 points to Gryffindor' incident never even happened.

"I feel the need to say this because accusing Brown students of something as serious as bullying and this causing me to leave seems beyond unfair."
Old 30 April 2011, 12:32 PM

Good for her for speaking up. People are way to quick to jump on board with what ever the media says sometimes.
Old 03 May 2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
What about Slytherin?
Old 03 May 2011, 12:51 AM

Well obviously she had to say that because she fears for her life. The threat must be even greater than the media suggested.
Old 03 May 2011, 02:00 AM

I suspect that "Ten points to Gryffyndor!" happens in many college classes. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Ms. Watson. Just like college Quidditch teams don't have anything to do with her being in college. Most current college kids grew up with the HP stories and it is a part of their experience, heck it is a part of their idiom.
Old 26 May 2011, 09:45 AM

This UL kept coming to mind, because Emma is in Pittsburgh filming her movie "Perks of Being a Wallflower"; and when I went to see Rocky Horror last Saturday, she was in the audience.

When Rocky cradles Frank's dead body at the end, I proudly stood up in my seat and screamed "DOBBY, NO!!" The folks around me laughed, but I have no idea how Emma reacted.
Old 07 July 2011, 05:42 PM

Witch Emma Watson: Children think she's 'magic in real life'

Emma Watson scares little children.

The 21-year-old actress - who has played Hermione Granger in the 'Harry Potter' franchise since the age of 10 - explained kids are often terrified of her because they think she is going to cast a spell on them, which she finds "really funny".

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/a...real-life.html