snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > College

Old 17 November 2010, 07:43 PM

Interacting with her as an actress when she's in class isn't really appropriate, though. I'm still a business process consultant when I'm at some social event, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate to ask me to document your business process or review your documents.

OTOH, it may be completely appropriate to expect someone to use specific skills, gained in the performance of their job, in other settings. For example, it wouldn't be unreasonable for a group I belonged to to ask me to facilitate a meeting, because it's something I'm experienced at. I should have the right say no, of course, either for a particular event or on a blanket basis.
Old 17 November 2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rujasu View Post
Not saying that you weren't aware, but I think Errata's post may have been facetious.
If the post was facetious, I wasn't aware - lack of emoticons ya know...

ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Interacting with her as an actress when she's in class isn't really appropriate, though. I'm still a business process consultant when I'm at some social event, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate to ask me to document your business process or review your documents.
That's probably why she wouldn't like it, its very awkward to deal with that kind of interaction with people you interact with every single day,

Quote:
OTOH, it may be completely appropriate to expect someone to use specific skills, gained in the performance of their job, in other settings. For example, it wouldn't be unreasonable for a group I belonged to to ask me to facilitate a meeting, because it's something I'm experienced at. I should have the right say no, of course, either for a particular event or on a blanket basis.
I think we can agree that doesn't apply here though - I fail to see the usefulness of yelling out "10 Points to Gryfindor" in a classroom with Emma Watson in it would server other than an distraction. Not to mention that such a thing is rude anyway.

Besides, students at Hogwarts don't give out points! Only teachers do (Umbridge's Inquisitorial squad doesn't count)

Last edited by diddy; 17 November 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 17 November 2010, 08:05 PM

I'd find it really funny the first time it happened. After that, well, it loses the spontaneous charm.

10 Points for originality!
Old 18 November 2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:

I'm not going to argue that calling out "10 points to Gryffindor" is appropriate behavior in class, but is it really "interacting with her as an actress"? Using your example of the business processing consultant--asking them to review documents or document a process would be asking them to actually perform their job. It seems like the equivalent for an actor would be asking them to act for you, or do something "in character", etc.

What happened in the Emma Watson story is that someone made a joke about her profession, rather than asking her to perform. IMO, it was inappropriate, but not because it's asking her to do her job in a non-professional setting, it's inappropriate because disturbing class with such jokes is inappropriate and because the person was bothering her with the jokes (unlike teasing from a friend who knows what jokes she'll think are funny). An equivalent scenario might be a lawyer taking say, a French course. The lawyer-student asks a question and some smart-ass calls out "Your Honor, I object!" It isn't asking the lawyer to perform his job; it's just making a (stupid) joke about his profession.
Old 18 November 2010, 01:01 AM

You're right, that is a better analogy.
Old 18 November 2010, 02:11 AM

Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx_TKD View Post
IMO, it was inappropriate, but not because it's asking her to do her job in a non-professional setting, it's inappropriate because disturbing class with such jokes is inappropriate and because the person was bothering her with the jokes (unlike teasing from a friend who knows what jokes she'll think are funny).
Plus it's something she's probably been subjected to constantly for years, and the person saying it probably always thinks s/he is the first. That gets really irritating really fast!
Old 18 November 2010, 02:40 AM

It's kind of an obvious joke, and I wouldn't be suprised if she's heard it so many times it grates her. But I still think it's kinda funny. I'm not the type to yell out jokes in class, but I'd be suppressing a minor urge to do so in this situation.

Not saying I'm proud...
Old 18 November 2010, 11:04 AM

Worse, I sometimes *do* say it in class when someone says something particularly clever. Accidentally saying it to Emma Watson would be just awful!
Old 18 November 2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Interacting with her as an actress when she's in class isn't really appropriate, though.
I agree, but this wasn't even "interacting with her as an actress" - it was "interacting with her as Hermione from Harry Potter". Interacting - in the form of a joke - with her as an actress would have been shouting "Cut!" after her answer.

This joke is not only drawing her professional live into her student live, it's reducing her to one particular charakter she played.

Don Enrico
Old 18 November 2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Worse, I sometimes *do* say it in class when someone says something particularly clever. Accidentally saying it to Emma Watson would be just awful!
How mortifying! And explaining yourself would likely only make it worse: "I'm so sorry, Ms. Watson. It's nothing to do with you, really, I do that all the time. . . "
Old 18 November 2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
Nope. While she is at school she is not working her actress job, she is working her student job. Many people seperate their private and professional lives. When I am at home, I am not a Telephone Worker, I am daddy.
And when you're at work you're not daddy? Weird. And when someone asks you if you're a Telephone Worker, do you really say "No, I'm not" if you're not actually at work at the time? And what about lunch breaks?

She is an actress (or actor going by the modern trend). That is a descriptor of her profession, even if she is not acting at that very moment. Until/unless it is clear she will no longer pursue that profession, it's a decent descriptor.

To say someone is not Profession if they're not actively doing it at that moment is silly and of no practical use. Now, is she wants to emphasize her current role as student over her role as actress, that's absolutely fair and justified.

What she is definitely not, however, is Hermione Granger.

On a side note, I was working with the French Army in Afghanistan and one of the conference rooms they used was named "Hermione." It was extremely difficult to remember to pronounce it the French way instead of the character name.
Old 18 November 2010, 01:10 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
And when you're at work you're not daddy? Weird.
DWolf is still Daddy, but he's not obligated to change diapers or fetch juice boxes when he's at work. That role is specific to a very small (hah!) set of people, it is not generalize-able.

We all have different roles and responsibilities that come with different relationships in our lives. Some overlap, but many do not; and inserting oneself into a role-responsibility set without permission inappropriately crosses all kinds of privacy boundaries.

I am a mother, but I'm not your mother: make your own damn lunch.

Four Kitties
Old 18 November 2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
DWolf is still Daddy, but he's not obligated to change diapers or fetch juice boxes when he's at work. That role is specific to a very small (hah!) set of people, it is not generalize-able.
And that’s only really due to the fact that you do not bring your kids to the office - that task is limited to those people. Going to the office does not strip your father-ship from you. Hypothetically, he can still be a dad at the office if his kids were actually there or you had to make father decisions while at work. THe only time you really aren’t a father would be if you no longer had children (and even then I say that once you are a father you stay that way).
Old 18 November 2010, 05:53 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
...that task is limited to those people.
Yes. Even if you bring your kids to work, you are not required to accompany all who ask to the bathroom, just your kids.

When Emma is in class, she is Emma-the-student not Emma-the-actress until and unless her job experience is relevant to the class. Behaving otherwise uninvited is an inappropriate crossing of boundaries. Conflating the student role with the actress role is rude: conflating the student role with a particular character role is even moreso IMHO.

AFA awarding house points in class is concerned: remember that Hermione is an exception. Usually the really bright students are in Ravenclaw (which is why the Kitten has a Ravenclaw house banner hanging in her room ).

Four Kitties
Old 18 November 2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
She's been on all the talk shows this week promoting Friday's release of the next HP, so I'd say, yes, it would certainly be fair to call her an actress.
It makes her an employee who is fulfilling her contractual obligations.
Old 18 November 2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Yes. Even if you bring your kids to work, you are not required to accompany all who ask to the bathroom, just your kids.
Indeed. A parenting job is rather limited to your own children.

Quote:
When Emma is in class, she is Emma-the-student not Emma-the-actress until and unless her job experience is relevant to the class. Behaving otherwise uninvited is an inappropriate crossing of boundaries. Conflating the student role with the actress role is rude: conflating the student role with a particular character role is even moreso IMHO.
I don’t quite agree. Just because she is in school doesn’t mean that she still isn’t accepting acting roles. Until she says “I retire from Acting” She is still an actress by title and profession. She is still going to declare it a profession. Now while she is in class she may not be actually acting, but just because a doctor might not be practicing medicine at any given time doesn’t change that you are a doctor outside o the office.

I do agree that the doesn’t deserve to be treated like a role that she is not playing at this point (I presume that shooting for both parts of HP7 are completed) - that she doesn’t deserve at all even if she is in a drama class. An actor and his or her roles are not something that you get to decide how to mock. Unless she is under contract to play Hermoine, any attempt to tie her to that role is just plain unfair. She is a human being, not a character.
Old 18 November 2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
It makes her an employee who is fulfilling her contractual obligations.
So under what circumstances could one call her an actress? Only between the time that the director says Action and Cut?
Old 18 November 2010, 08:01 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
I don’t quite agree. Just because she is in school doesn’t mean that she still isn’t accepting acting roles.
But it does mean she is unlikely to be accepting an acting role while seated in a classroom during a lecture. And while-seated-in-a-classroom-during-a-lecture is when the incident described in the OP took place.

Four Kitties
Old 18 November 2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
But it does mean she is unlikely to be accepting an acting role while seated in a classroom during a lecture. And while-seated-in-a-classroom-during-a-lecture is when the incident described in the OP took place.

Four Kitties
It doesn’t matter. Until you quit your occupation (something she has yet to do given that she has accepted a role and is performing activities related to being an actor. You don’t just give up one role and accept another - she can be both things at once. As I pointed out before, just because you are not treating patients after hours, you are still a doctor. Lawyer is still a lawyer when he is not being paid by a client. Such is the thing with contract based employees.

I think we are disagreeing on one fundamental thing: Just because she is not on a set with a director and cameras doesn’t mean that she isn’t an actor. It just mean that she isn’t working in that job at the moment. She is still an actor/actress but just not under contact for a specific part. Her bread making job that she declares herself as is “actress”.

I work with construction workers who aren’t always on a job site. They are still construction workers even though they may be between jobs at the time.
Old 18 November 2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Her bread making job that she declares herself as is “actress”.
Where does she declare that?