few months previously that someone who knew someone in one of her classes
experienced the same thing. I've done a little research online, and it
seems like this story has been circulating for awhile on the web, but
people are claiming they were in the class, they knew someone in the
class, etc... and it is always "the other day" even though the original
story seems to date to almost a year ago. I've also noticed new variations
where Watson "gets pissed and storms out."
Old 17 November 2010, 04:03 PM

Well, it could just be that it happens every class, whenever she answers a question right, so many students have experienced it.

No, I don't believe that either.
Old 17 November 2010, 04:07 PM

I'm not so sure. I'm reminded of the cartoon entitled something like "A day in the life of Regis Philbin," in which he is asked at various establishments whether he would like coffee, or what size he would like, or if he was ready, and when he answers everyone says "Is that your final answer?" and roars with laughter.

I showed it to my ex, who said, "You know, that probably does happen to him." Yes, that's the point!

Last edited by Chloe; 17 November 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 17 November 2010, 04:12 PM

No idea if the story is true, but I have seen an interview with Emma where she said that she does not want to be known as the girl for HP when at Brown, so the "she was not pleased " is certainly likely. My guess would be an eye-roll or icy ignoring, not "stormed out." And the idea of some 18 year old class clown doing it is not so far fetched. We have a fellow snopester whose child was put in a similar situation (younger than college, but still.)
Old 17 November 2010, 04:40 PM

Yea, can easily picture any teen actress, when trying to live a normal life, has people that make jokes at her expense not liking it after hearing it more than once. While I don't know if the story is true, she probbaly thought it a little amusing once and anything after that more than excessive probably rude. She is an actress, not a character.
Old 17 November 2010, 04:51 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

When she's at Brown she's not an actress, she's a student. Unless she joins the drama club.

Four Kitties
Old 17 November 2010, 04:59 PM

But she's still an actress -- that's her profession. She's also a student, but I don't see what is inaccurate about diddy's statement.
Old 17 November 2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rujasu View Post
But she's still an actress -- that's her profession.
4K does have a small point - while at brown she isn't acting in anything. I do agree with you though, her professional occupation is "actress/actor" but that doesn't mean that she deserves to be treated the same way as her famous character by people she see's every day. That's why I said she would find it funny maybe once. Anything afterward isn't having a bit of fun, its teasng.
Old 17 November 2010, 06:46 PM

Wolf

Quote:
But she's still an actress -- that's her profession. She's also a student, but I don't see what is inaccurate about diddy's statement.
Nope. While she is at school she is not working her actress job, she is working her student job. Many people seperate their private and professional lives. When I am at home, I am not a Telephone Worker, I am daddy. You phone can stay broken until I start my shift at 8am for all I care.* Unless my employer calls me and I forget to have my wife answer the phone and say I'm not home, I do not want to think about work. I want to enjoy time with my family, or study, or just relax and watch TV. I do not know off the top of my head what number to call for a specific service or what anything costs, or even how to fix common household items (not my job, so I've never been trained to do it). I don't mind if someone asks a question to be social or to open conversation, but people frequently ask me to do things that even if I knew how to do them would be ethical violations ("Can you get me free phone service?" "Can you get me a discount on my bill?" "Can you install a phoneline/jack?" "Can you get me some of the electrical tape from the storage room?"). It is amazing how many people will ask a relative stranger for a favor that could cost me my job.

(*actually, it can stay broken longer than that because I'm not in that deopartment, but that's not my point. )
Old 17 November 2010, 06:51 PM

Is acting her chosen profession? Has she even made that decision? I don't see how it can be accurate to call her an actress simply because she's acted in the past. If she'd been waiting tables for several years and quit to attend Brown full-time, would it be appropriate to call her waiter/tress?
Old 17 November 2010, 06:57 PM

She's been on all the talk shows this week promoting Friday's release of the next HP, so I'd say, yes, it would certainly be fair to call her an actress.
Old 17 November 2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf
Nope. While she is at school she is not working her actress job, she is working her student job.
If someone is a professional actor, it is not inaccurate to say "he/she is an actor" regardless of what setting they happen to be in. Thus, there is no reason to correct someone for saying so. When I get home from work at the end of the day, I'm not unemployed. I'm still a computer programmer; I'm just not at work. If Peyton Manning gives an interview in the offseason, he's still the starting quarterback for Indianapolis, and it would not be proper to correct someone who says that he is.

So, when we're discussing a professional actor who is at school, it is not wrong to say "he/she is an actor," any more than it would be wrong to say "he/she is a parent" about someone who is at work and not with his/her child. So I don't see why diddy's comment should be corrected.
Old 17 November 2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
If someone is a professional actor, it is not inaccurate to say "he/she is an actor" regardless of what setting they happen to be in.
See my post above. She has acted in the past. If she is not currently acting or seeking roles, is she still a professional actor? What if she never does so again? Would she still be a professional actor?
Old 17 November 2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
See my post above. She has acted in the past. If she is not currently acting or seeking roles, is she still a professional actor? What if she never does so again? Would she still be a professional actor?
I think Stan the Man addressed that point. She has a movie due out, so saying she isn't currently an actor is like saying Peyton Manning isn't a football player because he might retire before next Sunday. If she had retired, that would be different. If she were two years removed from her last role, and hadn't given indication that she would act again, then it might not be proper to call her an actor.
Old 17 November 2010, 07:08 PM

And, according to IMDB and Wiki, she is currently filming a movie called My Week With Marilyn:
Quote:
Principal photography began at the Pinewood Studios on 4 October 2010.[16] The shoot will last for seven weeks.
Old 17 November 2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
And, according to IMDB and Wiki, she is currently filming a movie called My Week With Marilyn:
Yes, but is she filming it today? Unless you're watching her do it right this minute, she may not be an actor.
Old 17 November 2010, 07:27 PM

I'm reminded of when Anthony Hopkins said in 1991 that people (sometimes the staff) at restaurants would send him a liver dinner as a joke. He was very gracious about the joke (acting like he hadn't have that happen before), and then would request whatever meal he wanted because he actually hated liver.

Of course, teasing a celebrity during school hours can get to be obnoxious if you hear it every day in every class. (Not that that has been established.)
Old 17 November 2010, 07:35 PM

There's a reason I stated my posts as questions. Thanks to those who answered them.
Old 17 November 2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Yes, but is she filming it today? Unless you're watching her do it right this minute, she may not be an actor.
I say until she officially says that she is quitting acting and doing something else (even if that is nothing) she is still engaging in acting - it's a profession. She doesn't have to be doing it 24 hours a day to be considered an Actor - that is what she is making money doing - it's her official profession and as we have seen, she is scheduled to start shooting another picture. Unless she backs down from her commitment she is still an actor like any other job that is contract based.
Old 17 November 2010, 07:37 PM

Not saying that you weren't aware, but I think Errata's post may have been facetious.