snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 17 February 2010, 08:25 PM

Deer "Sorry hunters, Obama ruined healthcare." (Dead animal)

Comment: People in Pennington County have a warped sense of humor. It must be something in the coal-infused water.
This is the pull off at Hwy 385 and Sheridan Lake Rd.

A deer was hit there.

The couch was dumped there previously.

Day two the deer was on the couch.

Day three the end table and lamp showed up.

Day four the TV and TV stand showed up.

The Trooper had to call PENNINGTON CO. DOT because of all the people stopping to take pictures.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE SIGN.

The cardboard caption in front of the deer on the couch reads,

"Sorry Hunters, Obama ruined healthcare We can't afford to have injured hunters on our conscience, so I'm staying home!

Sorry,
the Deer."

Old 17 February 2010, 08:35 PM

I've seen this picture before. I think it was on Wonkette where I saw it originally, though they likely linked it from another site.
Old 17 February 2010, 08:37 PM

Australia

What? How?

In what way does that make any sense whatsoever?

Are the anti-Obama now just randomly attaching anti-Obama statements to anything they can find?

*thinks for a bit*

Sorry ... don't answer that, the answer is pretty obvious.

Dropbear
Old 17 February 2010, 09:23 PM

I'm with Dropbear on this one. I jost don't see the connection.

Obama destroyed healthcare so now deer are free to buy stuff and sleep on the couch while watching TV?
Old 17 February 2010, 09:32 PM

The sign just doesn't make sense. I'm not even sure what they were going for.

But the rest of the setup is pretty funny, if more than a little morbid.
Old 17 February 2010, 09:39 PM

I think the notion they were going for is that since Obama has ruined health care, the deer can no longer in conscience continue to wander around the woods to lure hunters (with the danger of hunting injuries now being not treatable properly) and therefore will stay at home so the hunters do as well.

No it's not very good is it?
Old 17 February 2010, 09:58 PM

I can kind of see the people who are arguing against healthcare on the basis of national debt, or of having to pay for someone else (although they do through insurance anyway, so that is kind of silly) but I really don't see how the idea that everyone should get healthcare even if they can't afford insurance "ruins" it somehow.

FWIW, my medicaid seems to be a lot better than most people's insurance, or medicare. While I have had to have a prescription changed because medicaid doesn't cover it (a grand total of 3 times in a decade and a half, and that is over a whole lot of prescriptions) I have never had to forego any needed treatment, the quality of my care seems to vary no more than anyone I have know with insurance, and I have had to shop around for doctors who take medicaid no more than other people have to shop for doctors who take their insurance. If medicaid is the model they go by I think it would improve almost everyone's healthcare, except for those with a lot of money who could still pay extra to go to the doctors of their choice/get the treatment of their choice.
Old 17 February 2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
Are the anti-Obama now just randomly attaching anti-Obama statements to anything they can find?
Pretty much.

Doesn't say much about the hunters in that area, does it? I mean, they're so dumb they can't go about their hunting without injuring one another (or themselves)? It's not difficult to not hurt yourself doing these things.

-RB
Old 17 February 2010, 10:27 PM

Getting shot by another hunter isn't the only way of getting injured walking in the woods though - above ground tree roots and rocks buried under leaf litter, or sudden unexpected terrain changes can catch out anyone walking in the woods and cause a fall leading to injury for example.
Old 17 February 2010, 10:32 PM

Aww... doesn't the deer know that Obama's already keeping the hunters safe by taking away all their guns?
Old 17 February 2010, 11:36 PM

Deer

I think the deer would be more likely to protest the lack of a universal veterinary coverage bill. That would certainly be more of a reason for the deer to stay home.
Old 18 February 2010, 01:26 AM

Default Hunters FOR Health Care Reform!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
What? How?

In what way does that make any sense whatsoever?
You missed the point! You see these hunters were FOR health care reform with a "single payer" system!

But now that the bill has gotten bogged down with all the political compromises AND the Republicans now have a 41-vote majority in the Senate, Obama has really messed up! Health care reform will NEVER be passed! And the Hunters are angry!

If you are up in your deer stand and are drinking from a flask and then get sleepy and drop your gun, and it hits the ground and then shoots upward and hits you, causing you to fall out of the stand and then break your leg as you hit the ground* you won't be able to get proper medical care!

IF ONLY OBAMA HAD TALKED TO HARRY REID AND PUSHED THE "SINGLE PAYER" PLAN THROUGH! This is what the hunters are mad about.

Because, CLEARLY, President Obama has had ZERO effect on health care so far. I mean, everyone KNOWS that, right? Of course. Hunters are not that dumb! Right? Right?

* Yes, this has actually happened. On more than one occasion. I used to represent a Deer Stand maker.....who was sued. More than once.

FWIW.
Old 18 February 2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Getting shot by another hunter isn't the only way of getting injured walking in the woods though.
True-I was thinking along the lines of hunting-specific injuries. Wonder why I didn't think of that, as I've fallen down enough gullies and ravines in my time.

Reminds me of an FOAF tale someone told me, about a guy who'd been severely injured while hunting. Broken collarbone, severe concussion, broken ribs, and various cuts and bruises. He'd been sitting in up a tree in a deer blind, got bladdered, and fell out. I don't know if the concussion was from his gun landing on his head, though!

-RB
Old 18 February 2010, 01:00 PM
onib

Ick, wouldn't the deer start to rot by then? Or is it too cold?
Old 18 February 2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
Aww... doesn't the deer know that Obama's already keeping the hunters safe by taking away all their guns?
This is sorta what I was gonna post!
Old 18 February 2010, 02:06 PM

Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertplattbell View Post
You missed the point! You see these hunters were FOR health care reform with a "single payer" system!
[SNIP/]
Obama has really messed up! Health care reform will NEVER be passed! And the Hunters are angry!
[SNIP/]
IF ONLY OBAMA HAD TALKED TO HARRY REID AND PUSHED THE "SINGLE PAYER" PLAN THROUGH! This is what the hunters are mad about.
The picture and sign are all about the deer saying Obama messed up, not the hunters.

Quote:
Because, CLEARLY, President Obama has had ZERO effect on health care so far. I mean, everyone KNOWS that, right? Of course. Hunters are not that dumb! Right? Right?
No, we hunters are not that dumb. For instance, I comprehended right away not one hunter said anything about Obama in that picture.

Perhaps you should refer to the first line in your post. (bolded in case you missed the point)
Old 18 February 2010, 02:09 PM

I believe the rhetorical device of sarcasm, or perhaps irony, was being employed by robertplattbell.

The display makes no sense in the context of the sign.
Old 18 February 2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
If you are up in your deer stand and are drinking from a flask and then get sleepy and drop your gun, and it hits the ground and then shoots upward and hits you, causing you to fall out of the stand and then break your leg as you hit the ground* you won't be able to get proper medical care!

* Yes, this has actually happened. On more than one occasion. I used to represent a Deer Stand maker.....who was sued. More than once.
Almost this exact thing happened to a cousin, except he wasn't drinking & he didn't break his leg, he just got shot in the groin, though the family jewels were missed by inches as were other major necessary organs.

Not once did he ever think to sue the deer stand makers, the gun makers, the bullet makers, or anyone else. He knew it was just a freak accident & was just glad to be alive.

But now that I have this suing-the stand-maker info, I really should pass it on to him & maybe he can make some $$$!!

I keed!! He's not that type thank goodness.

Just curious, how many of those lawsuits settled or won? Because I can't imagine how it could be the stand makers fault unless it really was broken or had some defect originally.
Old 18 February 2010, 02:46 PM

I don't really know,but if hunting stands are anything like the observation stands I've been in, wouldn't they be expected to have guard rails such that anyone who was incapacitated (and that could be due to sudden illness as well as drunkenness or carelessness, stray bullet or just stumbled) could not fall over the edge? Or are hunting stand platforms open top to bottom to get a clear shot from any angle?

If there is supposed to be a guard rail and it was inadequate to prevent someone falling out, then that is a design defect.
Old 18 February 2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
If there is supposed to be a guard rail and it was inadequate to prevent someone falling out, then that is a design defect.
People often make homemade tree stands that don't have a rail of any sort and are just a platform. I have seen some really scary ones. All of the Manufactured tree stands I have seen have some sort of railing to keep the hunter safely in the stand. I prefer ground stands.