snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Humor

Old 19 March 2009, 08:41 AM

Australia

Quote:
I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks?
We recommend going north and following the coast. It's the only sure way to avoid Melbourne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Much of which is imported from Western Australia...
Hey, Hans Off our sand! Every trailerload puts us closer to Victoria.
Old 19 March 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I wonder if knowledge that some events are not held when their name suggests prompted the question in the OP.
The October Revolution is celebrated in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
Antarctica is covered in water (albeit, in it's frozen form). We don't got hardly any at the moment. We've been in drought for almost the past 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
We recommend going north and following the coast. It's the only sure way to avoid Melbourne.
Up yours !

Old 19 March 2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Well, it depends on definition of dry. They have plenty of water, there's even big lakes under the ice, but it requires a bit of work to get, either by drilling a few hundred meters or by melting ice.
I believe parts of Greenland are considered deserts as well. A text about mummified seals accompanied by pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
The October Revolution is celebrated in November.
But that is because Russia still went by the Julian calender at the time.
Old 19 March 2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Australia, on the other hand, has a different problem. No matter how hard you try, you won't squeeze water out of sand and rocks.
err.. That's where the vast majorit of the water actually is...

Back to Geology 101 Troberg
Old 19 March 2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
(on seeing the roads close to Stonehenge) Why did they build it so close to main roads?.
"You wouldn't think dinosaurs would come so close to downtown!" - Jeff Foxworthy, on the La Brea Tar Pits
Old 20 March 2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I think that "I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks?" may be apocryphal. There's a similar list of "stupid questions asked by tourists going to South Africa" which has circulated here for a while, which includes the item "I want to walk from Cape Town to Durban, can I follow the railway tracks?"
I have seen the same question in "stupid questions asked by tourists going to Canada." "I want to walk from Toronto to Vancouver..."
Old 23 March 2009, 02:00 PM

I notice that this page on snopes has many of the questions in the article in the OP.
Old 23 March 2009, 03:01 PM
Victoria J

Quote:
Trust me, if it's extremely stupid, someone will do it. If someone climbs Everest, someone else has to do it without oxygen. I'm just waiting for someone stupid enough to do it nude...
I got beaten to it - but I was going to point out the original climbers all ready tried that. (I wasn't going to be brave enough to google for the photo though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Complaining about the heat, or cold or what ever the weather condition is fairly common, expecting someone to change it would be stupid.
It depends how they were collected. Some of them are perfectly reasonable complaints (heat, noisy neighbours, etc) just not within the control of a travel company. But if they were addressed in seriousness to a travel company (and I've seen more absurb genuine attempts at compensation) that's the stupidity right there.

I thought the queueing outdoors with no air-conditioning complaint was rather unfair. It didn't necessary suggest that the outdoors should be air conditioned, just that they thought they should have been able to go indoors without queueing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgiver View Post
As far as the dumb questions go, I was fine with those, like the girl that asked me if she was flying over the international date line did she need to take her medication again, passport to new Mexico, is 6 pm morning or night those never bothered me. It was the ridiculous demands for refunds that got on my nerves.
Yes ! I believe there are very few stupid questions. My work often involves sitting around waiting for people to come and ask me questions, and I've been asked a whole lot of weird ones (How do I leave my body to medical science ? Someone stole my grave what can I do ? Can I have someone arrested for black magic ?....) but very few stupid ones. People sometimes apologise for asking stupid questions but they're almost always just ignorant questions (ignorant in a non-pejorative meaning).

I think I've said before that there are only 2 out right stupid questions I remember being asked :

"Will you call me next Tuesday, or last Tuesday ?"

and

from an old lady completing disability benefit forms "If I get down on the floor I can't get up again - would you like me to show you ?"

Everything else was areasonable question from the point of view, and considering the knowledge and beliefs held, of the person asking it.

Which is possibly why my favourite was

Quote:
The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the accommodation'. We're trainee hairdressers - will we be OK staying here?"
I find it sweet. And I like anyone who asks, instead of turning up without finding out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
Hey, Hans Off our sand! Every trailerload puts us closer to Victoria.
What's wrong with that ?

Victoria J
Old 23 March 2009, 03:21 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
Actually, to an American it is immediately stupid; you are walking the length of a country!
To someone from England it might not be that stupid, it is the length of a country; it is a good long hike, maybe take a couple days. Ok, it is still pretty stupid, but if someone hadn't realized or internalized the size difference it could happen. I will admit that in my mind, the default for "we drove across the country" with no country specified takes weeks. I can see someone from a smaller place thinking of "country" by default as being, well, small.
Old saying: "In England, 100 miles is a long way. In the US, 100 years is a long time."

Four Kitties
Old 23 March 2009, 03:37 PM

A couple of years ago there was someone who walked from Land's End to John o' Groats naked. Twice (the second time together with his girlfriend).
Old 23 March 2009, 03:49 PM

Back to topic. The Swedish Metro has called around to Swedish travel agents and collected some interesting complaints:
  • A middle-aged man noticed on his way home that it said ”Las Palmas, Gran Canaria” on his ticket. He had thought the whole vacation that he had been in Palma de Mallorca and wanted a refund.
  • A woman complained that there had been a naked woman in a window in a hotel across the street. She also wanted a refund as her holiday had been ruined by her husband gawking at the woman the whole time.
  • An elderly woman claimed that the volume of her TV set had been adjusted. She was fully convinced that the hotel had a master remote control and that some employee had been sitting all day fiddling with the volume.
  • An elderly couple complained that it said "Guides available 24 hours a day" in the travel papers. According to the couple this meant that a guide would come around to say hello and have a coffee with them at least once a day.
And so on ...
Old 23 March 2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
Old saying: "In England, 100 miles is a long way. In the US, 100 years is a long time."

Four Kitties
It can't be that old of a saying.
Old 23 March 2009, 04:36 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
It can't be that old of a saying.

It's old enough that it uses miles instead of kilometers, but it's got to be less than 233 years, right?

Four Kitties
Old 24 March 2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
Some of them are perfectly reasonable complaints (heat, noisy neighbours, etc) just not within the control of a travel company.
At least the noisy neighbours could theoretically get you a refund. If we're dealing with neighbours at the same hotel, if you made a formal complaint at the time, and the travel company didn't do anything, then yes you could claim a refund.
Old 30 March 2009, 08:14 AM

Icon19 Weirdest travel agent requests

Traveling to Chihuahua, Mexico is a perfectly common request for a travel agent. Traveling with one’s Chihuahua? That’s easy, too. But taking the Chihuahua to Chihuahua, Mexico so he can “discover his roots”?

That was the request made of travel agent Steven Greenbaum of Pisa Brothers Travel in New York City. Greenbaum’s been an agent for 29 years, so he’s had his share of oddball requests — but this was a new one. He even managed to receive the explanation without a flinch. “I’m good at keeping a straight face.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29839315/
Old 16 September 2009, 05:38 PM

Icon19 Strong alcohol and melting ice creams top list of bizarre holiday complaints

An online travel agent has revealed some of the more unusual complaints it has received from holidaymakers in the last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/we...omplaints.html
Old 16 September 2009, 06:50 PM

I think some of these have got to be people ribbing the travel companies rather than genuine complaints.

Where I used to work, we used to always be bored every Friday afternoon, so we'd use speakerphone and call up some well known company, get through to their PR or marketing department and ask them with a tone of seriousness some fairly ridiculous question about their product. I'm not prepared to say who's inane idea that was, or who placed the calls. He's a snopster, he's from Kent UK and in his defense he was then much younger than his current 46 years is all I'm prepared to say.

This sounds like in some cases the same thing - send a ridiculous complaint in, and have a laugh when you get their honest, sincere attempt at placating you back.
Old 17 September 2009, 01:05 AM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
This sounds like in some cases the same thing - send a ridiculous complaint in, and have a laugh when you get their honest, sincere attempt at placating you back.
Not only that, but some if not all of them sound like joke "complaints" that could have been added to a general chatty thank-you letter.

I doubt many people would write a chatty thank-you letter to their travel agent these days, but if you were the total opposite of this stereotypical modern whinger that everybody is nowadays, then I can see it happening; and if so, then you might include things like that as a bit of fun. Then some cynical person extracts them, pretends they're serious complaints, and gets an article in the paper. Bah.
Old 17 September 2009, 01:26 AM

Australia

Quote:
One couple criticised the excellent children’s entertainment at their resort – so good, in fact, that their children didn’t want to spend any time with their parents...
Lord, that I should be so lucky on my next holiday...

Dropbear
Old 17 September 2009, 08:49 PM

Working at an airport (which technically I should be doing right now) I hear a lot of these, in fact yesterday I had quite an amusing story, trying not to laugh, while the customer stood straight-faced, completely oblivious.

After making general small talk....

Customer: We just had a weekend trip to Zaragoza (a city in Spain)
Me: Oh right, how was it?
Customer: I hated it, there was far too many Spanish!
Me: er, ok? erm... so where you off to today?
Customer: Well we fancied a change, so we're heading to Alicante (you guessed it, another Spanish city - in fairness quite heavily populated by Brits, still predominantly Spanish, as you'd imagine)
Me: erm, ok then, enjoy! *turns away in disbelief*