snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Humor

Old 18 March 2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
In what month is the May Day demonstration?
That is not such a daft question - except that the UK does have any scheduled demonstrations. However, Cambridge University has its May Balls in June. See here, for example.

Quote:
What is the entry fee for Brighton?
It's free, but please remember it is closed on Wednesdays.

Quote:
Why on earth did they build Windsor Castle on the flight path of Heathrow?
It's a little known fact that Windsor Castle, in the eleventh century, was meant to be London's first airport. The Round Tower was to be the Control Tower. Where Eton College playing fields now are was meant to be where the runway was. Alas it was thought that Windsor was too far away from the centre of London so Heathrow was built in its place and Windsor given to the king.

Quote:
"Is this where Sharon and Ozzie actually live?"
Asked a visitor to Osborne House, Isle of Wight
No, but Posh and David really do live in Beckingham Palace.

Quote:
Is Wales closed during the winter?
No, it just appears to be.

Quote:
Why did they build so many ruined castles and abbeys in England?
Actually, it is just that they have yet to be finished. You do realise how protracted the planning process is in England, don't you?
Old 18 March 2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
That is not such a daft question - except that the UK does have any scheduled demonstrations. However, Cambridge University has its May Balls in June. See here, for example.

Ditto for Oktoberfest (September 19 to October 4th)
Old 18 March 2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Much of which is imported from Western Australia...

(If you believe everything you hear when Touring Oz)
White beach sand, possibly. We have erosion problems, and our beach sand must be replaced every so often (probably not from OZ, but who knows). Sugar sand isn't the pretty white stuff you see on beaches, though, it is native Florida sand and will spring up anyplace the grass has died.
Old 18 March 2009, 04:08 PM

These lists always seem to enumerations of misunderstandings, rather than stupid questions. Misunderstanding by the tourists, but also misunderstandings of their intent.

Complaining about the heat, or cold or what ever the weather condition is fairly common, expecting someone to change it would be stupid.

As often as not, I think these are just missed humor. I would expect the guy complaining about the elephant making him feel inadequate was making a joke. I often often make joking stupid comments at or around tourist places. Writing them down thinking I'm serious is stupid.

I also like to spout out something ridiculous while pretending to read from a tourist book.

Beach....Niagra falls, built by the CCC over eight months in 1936, is considered to be the most spectacular man made water fall in the world...Life!
Old 18 March 2009, 04:15 PM

I wonder if some of the twenty questions in the OP are actually ULs reported as fact. I have heard it reported that other stupid questions/complaints include:

(on seeing scaffolding for repairs on an old church) Why haven't they finished this church after 800 years?

(on seeing the roads close to Stonehenge) Why did they build it so close to main roads?.
Old 18 March 2009, 04:22 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The first article
"The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the accommodation'. We're trainee hairdressers - will we be OK staying here?"
"Does your restaurant serve Chinese?"
"Of course, we do not discriminate."
Old 18 March 2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Cambridge University has its May Balls in June. See here, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Ditto for Oktoberfest (September 19 to October 4th)
I wonder if knowledge that some events are not held when their name suggests prompted the question in the OP.
Old 18 March 2009, 04:28 PM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the second article
"Can you tell me who performs at the circus in Piccadilly?"
Mateus made this joke in Match Game: UK edition!
Old 18 March 2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
If someone climbs Everest, someone else has to do it without oxygen. I'm just waiting for someone stupid enough to do it nude...
It has been tried -- okay he wore shorts for modesty. The guy just loves cold...

Quote:
"The beach was too sandy."
That would be my wife after visiting the Dutch coast. She much preferred the pebbly beaches on the Russian Black Sea coast.

Last edited by Joostik; 18 March 2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: To Add
Old 18 March 2009, 07:18 PM
Jonny T

Quote:
That is not such a daft question - except that the UK does have any scheduled demonstrations.
Yes it does. The picture in the article indicates demonstration in the sense of protest, and those take place every year - on the May Day bank holiday or the first of May itself.

(Assuming "does" was meant to be "doesn't" in the above, otherwise I'm even more confused...)

I would imagine that question to be either a confusion over the day rather than month (as the first of May and the May Day bank holiday are not always the same actual day), or due to Labour Day being another date elsewhere in the world.
Old 18 March 2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I wonder if some of the twenty questions in the OP are actually ULs reported as fact.
Or indeed publicity for Thomas Cook...
Old 18 March 2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny T View Post
Yes it does. The picture in the article indicates demonstration in the sense of protest, and those take place every year - on the May Day bank holiday or the first of May itself.
I recall a demonstration taking place on May 1 last year. I happened to be in the area (on my lunchbreak) and saw the whole thing.
Old 18 March 2009, 09:08 PM

Once in high school Geology we were discussing the Grand Canyon as an example of erosion. In further talking about the subject, one girl made a comment about Mount Rushmore and asked how the river had known to make those faces. (And lest this sound too UL-ish, it was a class I was actually in and I can still recall the girl's name...she was kind of a bubble head).
Old 18 March 2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
A 4500 km walk across the driest continent on Earth? Be my guest. (Look for the sign that says "Indian Pacific")
Nitpick, but Antarctica is the driest continent (even if we are allowing Australia to be classified as a continent).
Old 18 March 2009, 09:39 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I've had more than one American tourist complaining about Cuban cigars being sold in the town I lived in. (In Ireland).
Apparently they think we should all follow their policies and boycott "those commies".
I saw a French movie that had dialog implying that the embargo was universal. I couldn't figure that one out.

Seaboe
Old 18 March 2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I saw a French movie that had dialog implying that the embargo was universal. I couldn't figure that one out.
It's not, but I wonder if it was a misunderstanding of some aspects of the embargo that are/were international. Foreign subsidiaries of US companies are forbidden from trading with Cuba, for example, so a US shipping company will not be able to ship goods to Cuba even if they come from a French company.

Also, the Helms-Burton Act allows for restrictions on foreign companies that do business in Cuba.
Old 18 March 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
Interesting. Any time I've ever been in a place that had both American tourists and Cuban cigars, I've been practically mowed down by the tourists rushing to buy the cigars. Not a word of complaint from anyone...
That's been my experience too...
Old 19 March 2009, 02:08 AM

I don't think the Piccadilly Circus one was such a stupid question. The word "circus" simply has two very different meanings depending on where you learned to speak English. (Granted, as an American whose mother made sure I had every Paddington Bear book ever written when I was a kid, it's a mistake I wouldn't make, but...)

The Perth to Sydney one sounds to me like it at least might be from an adventurer/outdoorsy type who knows it would be a major undertaking, and simply wants to know if it's legal to walk along the tracks. I think that must be illegal for safety reasons in some places.
Old 19 March 2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
These lists always seem to enumerations of misunderstandings, rather than stupid questions. Misunderstanding by the tourists, but also misunderstandings of their intent.

Complaining about the heat, or cold or what ever the weather condition is fairly common, expecting someone to change it would be stupid.
I don't know, after 17 years as a travel agent, and most of those in customer service, I can see these as people really wanting some sort of compensation. I have had people demand compensation for weather, mosquitoes, the people at the resort didn't look like the people in the brochure , the carpet color and a myriad of absurd things. One gentleman even stopped payment on his credit card because he didn't win money in Vegas.

As far as the dumb questions go, I was fine with those, like the girl that asked me if she was flying over the international date line did she need to take her medication again, passport to new Mexico, is 6 pm morning or night those never bothered me. It was the ridiculous demands for refunds that got on my nerves.
Old 19 March 2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joostik View Post
It has been tried -- okay he wore shorts for modesty. The guy just loves cold...
OK, I just took the most stupid example I could find, and someone's already tried. Never underestimate stupidity. What's next? Swimming around the world with only a rubber duck as company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool View Post
Well, it depends on definition of dry. They have plenty of water, there's even big lakes under the ice, but it requires a bit of work to get, either by drilling a few hundred meters or by melting ice.

Australia, on the other hand, has a different problem. No matter how hard you try, you won't squeeze water out of sand and rocks.