snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > College

Old 18 October 2007, 12:28 PM
liberrygeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfancypants View Post
Oh, please. WVU students probably consume that much just following one game against Pitt.
And I have to work that Saturday . . . .
Old 29 July 2008, 08:05 AM

Icon24 List of top party schools by Princeton Review

Following is a list of the top party schools in the nation, according to Princeton Review's survey of 120,000 students:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...578ZAD9270UL00
Old 29 July 2008, 03:15 PM

Ol' FSU's been soundly bested by the gators this year. Tally's been onthe list so many times that now they feature it every year in the local paper. I even blogged about this today.
Old 29 July 2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
I heard a rather amazing boast: Supposedly the students at West Virginia consume 2% of the nation's alcohol? It seems obviously wrong, but it was so over-the-top that I wondered where it came from. Has anyone else heard it?
I heard the same claim from students at Chico State back in the early nineties. That was before the fraternities had killed of some of their pledges through alcohol poisoning, and the school was #2 on the list. My fraternity's chapter killed a pledge by alcohol poisoning in 2000 and was forever banned from campus, then another local fraternity killed a pledge by forced consumption of too much water. The kid essentially drowned internally. So these days, Chico State's not what it once was in terms of constantly inebriated student body.

Anyhoo, their claim was slightly different. It was that on one specific weekend, the city of Chico (being mostly the vast number of bars near campus) consumed 2% of the beer drunk in the nation.

So there you have it. By mathematical definition, there are more then 50 colleges in the country, and not all of them can consume 2% of the country's alcohol.
Old 29 July 2008, 04:53 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Once again ZooMass (aka the University of Massachusetts at Amherst) has failed to make the list, belying its local reputation. Ditto UConn/Storrs. And CatNip was shocked that UMaine/Orono isn't there (I think because he thinks "what else have they got to do up there?" City boy. ).

Four Kitties
Old 29 July 2008, 05:01 PM

Icon24

2007: 7. University of New Hampshire
2008:
11. University of New Hampshire, Durham, N.H.

Considering how hard they are coming down on UNH, I'm really surprised they haven't dropped more. Of course, part of the cracking down was aimed at the local bars in the area so the students are probably just taking the parties back onto the campus more.
Old 01 August 2008, 11:18 PM

Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by putitinwriting View Post
Ol' FSU's been soundly bested by the gators this year. Tally's been onthe list so many times that now they feature it every year in the local paper. I even blogged about this today.
We party harder here in Gainesville .

Needless to say, good ol' Bernie "No Binge Drinking" Machen* is NOT happy about this.

*President of the University of Florida, famous for his campaigns against binge/underage drinking
Old 02 August 2008, 06:23 PM

UNM didn't make the list? We had a huge beer riot there in 1984. The UNM students must be losing their touch.

Also, there is a such place as Thomas Aquinas University? What do you do there, party like it's 1299?
Old 03 August 2008, 12:14 AM

Theme Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
Colorado has fallen from grace (or risen to grace, depending on yoru perspective). Not even top 20 material anymore. Top 15 for pot though, that's comforting.
I'd be worried if it wasn't top 15 for pot, after what goes on there every April.
Old 03 August 2008, 08:06 PM

Yay, IU Bloomington! That's where I go to school. Though I'm the room hermit who prefers to sit in my room rather than to go out drinking because all the girls with their high pitched squeals only irritate me. It's ironic, actually, because being #8 pisses everyone off. I've seen some shirts that say "#8 PARTY SCHOOL!? LET'S MAKE IT #1!"

And yeah, CUNY-Queens has -no- on campus housing, which is probably why it made the top ten stone cold sober.
Old 03 August 2008, 08:39 PM

Huh. Tulane and Loyola are right next door to each other. Good on them for sharing their booze up and down St. Charles Avenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maque View Post
And yeah, CUNY-Queens has -no- on campus housing, which is probably why it made the top ten stone cold sober.
Well, I guess better late than never But don't all the CUNY schools suffer from this affliction? My dad went to Brooklyn College for a year before he could stand it no longer and hauled himself upstate.

Sidenote: When I started reading this thread today, I didn't realize it was a year old. I read the first "Party School/Sober School" list, and began wondering about Queens College. I then scrolled down and discovered that I'd had the same thought, and asked the same question, last year!
Old 13 August 2008, 09:13 PM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfall View Post
We party harder here in Gainesville .

Needless to say, good ol' Bernie "No Binge Drinking" Machen* is NOT happy about this.

*President of the University of Florida, famous for his campaigns against binge/underage drinking
That's about like campaigning against gambling in Las Vegas.

Even 25 years ago, UF was famous for its three most popular unofficial majors: tanning, skateboarding and drug abuse. I know of at least one high school classmate who went to UF and took ten years to get his bachelors. It's reassuring to see that some things never change.
Old 06 October 2008, 12:15 AM
Irene

Icon22

GASP. How did mine reach #9 on the Stone-cold sober list?

That's not how I remember the University of Queens.
Old 27 July 2009, 07:06 PM

Cheer List of top party schools by Princeton Review

The nation's top party schools, according to Princeton Review's 2009 survey of 122,000 students:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US
Old 27 July 2009, 07:29 PM

Ole Miss at #3 doesn't surprise me at all. I spent a month there and the total domination of the Greek partying way of life over everything else was one of the things that really turned me off on that school.
Old 27 July 2009, 07:31 PM

My alma mater, Ohio University, is back in the Top 5. Right below U of Ga -- someone should organize an Athens-to-Athens roadtrip party.
Old 27 July 2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
The nation's top party schools, according to Princeton Review's 2009 survey of 122,000 students:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US
OK, this is nice, but what criteria is this based on? I went to Princeton Review's web site, and it appears I have to register to do any digging into this. My son and I took a campus tour at UCSB last spring and they did their best to debunk the notion that they are a party school.
Old 27 July 2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debunker View Post
OK, this is nice, but what criteria is this based on? I went to Princeton Review's web site, and it appears I have to register to do any digging into this. My son and I took a campus tour at UCSB last spring and they did their best to debunk the notion that they are a party school.
The rating is based on a survey of students.
Old 27 July 2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debunker View Post
When I went there (which was, admittedly, 25 years ago) there was generally a work-hard/play hard attitude. You didn't have to participate (for the most part I didn't), but it was always there.
Old 28 July 2009, 12:10 PM

As the graduate of a school that's been making the list for decades, I wouldn't make a decision about whether to attend -- or whether my child should attend -- based on the school's presence on that list.