snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 06 May 2017, 07:23 PM

Roll eyes GOP congressman: “Nobody dies because they don’t have access to health care"

Idaho Republican Rep. Raul Labrador sparked outrage from his audience and online after saying "nobody dies" for lack of health care access in a town hall Friday night at Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-cong...o-health-care/
Old 06 May 2017, 10:20 PM

[snark]Well it’s true! Nobody has "lack of health care access” cited as a cause of death!!!!!eleventyone!”[/snark]

Honestly. This is utterly crass and seriously offensive to anyone who has died due to not getting proper health care. And its really stupid how he uses “access” as a qualifier. He got that from Spicer who was trying to weasel his explanation as to how Trump Care was so good since its access not availability. I have access to a ferrari. Of course its not practical for me to get it costs more than I will ever have (likely) but I have access to one!
Old 06 May 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
I have access to a ferrari. Of course its not practical for me to get it costs more than I will ever have (likely) but I have access to one!
Well, that's because of your own bad choices. [/sarcasm]
Old 06 May 2017, 10:34 PM

The story cited contains a link within it to a study which says the figure was roughly 45,000 annually as of 2009.

Nice useful link. It might go into a reply to my congressman's email to me attempting to defend his vote. -- taking his response apart is unfortunately going to take some time; he went on for a while. Or somebody went on for a while; and I expect the same speech has been sent to quite a few people.

He at least didn't say anything quite so absurd as 'nobody dies'.
Old 06 May 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Well, that's because of your own bad choices. [/sarcasm]
I won’t deny that. I could have robbed banks for a living [/even more sarcasm]
Old 07 May 2017, 04:53 PM

He left out a word. It was supposed to be "Nobody important dies because they don't have access to health care."
Old 08 May 2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Tabby View Post
He left out a word. It was supposed to be "Nobody who votes Republican dies because they don't have access to health care."
several words...I fixed it for you
Old 08 May 2017, 04:49 PM

And when they figure out the plan negatively affects them, too, they'll blame Obama.

~Psihala
Old 08 May 2017, 05:16 PM

I read an article from the Washington Post where the reporter went to a medical clinic in a poorer rural part of the country that went pretty heavily for Trump. It was both sad and horrifying how few of the people they interviewed understood what electing Trump was going to really mean for their day to day lives. Most of them seemed to believe that Trump would be providing jobs and health care would come along with those jobs so they wouldn't need Obamacare anymore. And this was all going to happen within days apparently .
Old 08 May 2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
several words...I fixed it for you
Well, except for the fact that quite a few people who vote Republican have been in the past, and are likely to be in the future, among the ones without access to healthcare.

Maybe 'nobody the Congressman knows personally dies of lack of access to healthcare; at least, not that he knew about'?
Old 08 May 2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I read an article from the Washington Post where the reporter went to a medical clinic in a poorer rural part of the country that went pretty heavily for Trump. It was both sad and horrifying how few of the people they interviewed understood what electing Trump was going to really mean for their day to day lives. Most of them seemed to believe that Trump would be providing jobs and health care would come along with those jobs so they wouldn't need Obamacare anymore. And this was all going to happen within days apparently .
There was an interview with someone who voted for Trump that was included in an NPR story about the new bill. She talked about how she'd been forced to buy a plan with a high deductible through Obamacare, and had never even met the deductible, so it did her no good. She believed Trump was going to make it better for her. It's kind of heartbreaking some times.

Then again, I think a huge amount of Trump's support is based on things resonating emotionally for people, and that their expressed reasons are just motivated reasoning. So much of what Trump supporters say does not necessarily represent their real reasons for supporting him, and it isn't surprising when it doesn't particularly make sense.
Old 08 May 2017, 10:00 PM

Another aspect of this that bothers me is the attitude that it's ok to get rid of Obamacare if you are able to get your healthcare through work or wherever. No concern, no care for anyone else. Even from those people who benefited from having Obamacare themselves. Once they don't need it no one should get it? Absolutely selfish and pathetic.
Old 08 May 2017, 10:23 PM

I have a friend who passed away a few years ago. At the time of his death he did have access to health care (through Medicaid), but for quite a few years before that he had not -- and he had serious dental problems that never were addressed. I strongly suspect that he would have lived longer and more comfortably if some of his problems had been diagnosed and treated sooner than they were (actually towards the end he had some kind of intestinal/digestive problem that never was successfully diagnosed).

As a side note, one thing I found galling was that he worked some years as a political fundraiser for Democratic and liberal causes. He was pretty successful, but his employer was careful to limit his hours so that they would not have to consider him a full-time employee and provide benefits. I wish I had kept closer track of the candidates and groups he raised funds for -- I'd like to have a word with a few of them about the fundraising firms they hire.
Old 08 May 2017, 10:47 PM

Even under Obamacare, plenty of employers still do that. The full-time employee hourly limit dropped quite a bit... so employers just cut hours left and right. Didn't even care what that did to their businesses.
Old 08 May 2017, 10:53 PM

The first job I ever had, right out of high school, did that. And that was before President Obama got into politics.
Old 08 May 2017, 11:16 PM

I might have met my grandmother had she not been too afraid to seek medical treatment until it was far too late for the cancer that took her life. She did not want to be a financial burden on the family and I guess hoped things would just... resolve themselves one way or another
Old 09 May 2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Well, except for the fact that quite a few people who vote Republican have been in the past, and are likely to be in the future, among the ones without access to healthcare.

Maybe 'nobody the Congressman knows personally dies of lack of access to healthcare; at least, not that he knew about'?
In his world view, if you can't pull yourself up by your own boot-straps, like he did, you're probably just a RINO.
Old 09 May 2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
No concern, no care for anyone else.
This. It seems so many people are worried that they will be paying for other people's healthcare, they want to deny healthcare except for those who have jobs.

Except they are already paying for other people's healthcare. Every time someone goes to the hospital and can't pay, the costs are passed on to the other patients. And even those paying normal premiums at their jobs are covering the healthcare costs of their coworkers. Even those whose jobs pay their entire premium are still sharing the costs.

Insurance companies will always make money. That seems to be the only guarantee of any healthcare system.
Old 09 May 2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post

Except they are already paying for other people's healthcare. Every time someone goes to the hospital and can't pay, the costs are passed on to the other patients. And even those paying normal premiums at their jobs are covering the healthcare costs of their coworkers.
Are you trying to tell me that the hospital pads their bills? That the insurance companies set their rates taking those padded bills into consideration? What? That is crazy

The way I heard it works is that if someone goes to the hospital and can't pay his bill the hospital board gets together and the president says, "Photo Bob could not pay his bill*. It was $10,000. That's not so bad. Each of you need to write a check for $1,000 and we are good."

Seriously. It is crazy that people do not realize how the real world works.

*In reality I could cover my $3,000 deductible, but would have to wait another year or five to replace my roof. Plus, pray that my wife or I do not need more media=cal attention next year.