snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 29 March 2017, 05:07 AM

Icon06 3 storm chasers die in Texas car crash, authorities say

Three storm chasers died in a car crash in Texas, according to authorities.

Around 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, a black Chevy Suburban was traveling northbound on Farm to Market Road 1081 before it disregarded a stop sign and collided with a black Jeep that was traveling westbound on Farm to Market Road 2794, the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a press release.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/storm-chase...ry?id=46432879
Old 30 March 2017, 10:07 PM

Icon07

This sort of thing is becoming a serious issue. These days, a huge scrum of chasers, many of them nothing more than rookie thrill seekers, now forms everytime severe weather hits. On my RadarScope app, if I don't turn the Spotter Network layer off, it's a solid blob of red dots clustered along the highways in the area.
Old 31 March 2017, 02:07 PM

Glasses

I believe collisions like this are inevitable among a group of people whose focus is never on their driving. I wonder if this is one area where a self-driving car would improve safety.

Seaboe
Old 01 April 2017, 12:08 AM

When spotting while mobile, you are supposed to have 2 people in the car, one to concentrate on the driving and the other on the storm and communications. In this case though, it was the vehicle with 2 people in it who ran the stop sign.

Richard, storm spotter, not chaser. (I sit in one location and report on conditions. If I see something bad coming my way, I report it and run away.)
Old 03 April 2017, 02:13 PM

Glasses

Given what I've seen from dash cams in storm chaser vehicles, the driver is spending as much time looking at and for storms as the passenger is, no matter what he or she is supposed to be doing.

I understand how important the information storm chasers obtain is, but I think most of them are in it for the adrenaline rush.

Seaboe
Old 03 April 2017, 03:13 PM

Probably true.