snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 14 February 2017, 09:40 PM

Airplane Harrison Ford in Near Miss With Passenger Plane at LA Airport

Actor Harrison Ford was involved in a potentially serious incident on Monday as he was piloting his private plane, a single engine Husky, NBC News has learned.

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/...irport-n720826
Old 14 February 2017, 09:56 PM

Okay, Mr. Ford, it's time to stop flying. I know that you have been lauded as a great pilot in the past, but the number of pilot errors is piling up. Stop now, before you kill someone.
Old 14 February 2017, 09:57 PM

That is odd, I've flown into John Wayne before and its not a small airport. I'm sure it has approach lighting and there would have been many other visual clues that he wasn't lined up correctly.
Old 14 February 2017, 10:51 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
That is odd, I've flown into John Wayne before and its not a small airport. I'm sure it has approach lighting and there would have been many other visual clues that he wasn't lined up correctly.
By some measures, it actually is kind of a small airport for the type of traffic it gets. It is I believe one of the shortest runways in the US to handle large airliners. That wouldn't really have any bearing on this incident, though.

That said, Harrison Ford wouldn't be the first pilot to mistake a taxiway for a runway. I'm sure I've heard of experienced airline pilots making the same mistake. If I remember correctly a similar incident happened at ATL several years ago.
Old 14 February 2017, 10:53 PM

See Darth's comment and add another--in the 1990s, Harrison was piloting a helicopter he had purchased. He landed in Morgantown WV ahead of a storm and sat it out. This was a lot of years ago. I think it is time to park the Husky.

Ali
Old 22 February 2017, 03:40 PM

Airplane Harrison Ford seen on video flying low over airliner at California airport

Video released Tuesday shows a plane piloted by Harrison Ford suddenly and mistakenly flying low over an airliner with 110 people aboard at a Southern California airport.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/harrison...ornia-airport/