snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 17 January 2017, 05:18 PM

Driver Denver-area Maserati salesman, 24, killed driving one at "reckless speeds"

(Full Headline: Denver-area Maserati salesman, 24, killed driving one at "reckless speeds" after posting video)

A young Maserati salesman outside Denver was killed driving one of the high-performance and high-price sport cars shortly after posting a Facebook live video showing him going from zero to 110 miles per hour in 20 seconds.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/denver-a...ckless-speeds/
Old 17 January 2017, 06:37 PM

Glasses

A tragedy, but is it really a surprise? He probably wasn't a trained race driver and unless he knew the road better than the back of his hand (and had driven it at speed before), the results were pretty predictable.

Seaboe
Old 18 January 2017, 04:25 PM

No

On the plus side, no other people were injured or killed. But my sympathies to his family and friends.
Old 30 January 2017, 05:01 AM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
A young Maserati salesman outside Denver was killed driving one of the high-performance and high-price sport cars
Can I nitpick for a moment? I think a Maserati would be more properly called a grand touring car rather than a sports car. The difference being that a sports car is essentially race car that you can drive on the road, with all the (lack of) comfort of a race car, while a grand touring car is a luxurious car that goes fast.
Old 31 January 2017, 05:30 PM

There have been many definitions of what a sports car is. At one time, the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) said a sports car had only 2 seats. Hence the Mustang and the Yenko Corvair could be raced only if the back seats were removed. Today, there doesn't seem to be a formal definition. If you go to an amateur race, almost every car manufactured may be present. Well, not too many Lincolns. And an econobox of today can run circles around the MGs and Triumphs of the past.
Old 31 January 2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
If you go to an amateur race, almost every car manufactured may be present. Well, not too many Lincolns.
I blame increased awareness of the problems of alcoholism.
Old 31 January 2017, 08:01 PM

You must have been to the after race parties for events I have organized.

Not really for 'cool' but because sunglasses are needed because of the hangovers.